Author Topic: AN Symptoms kind of scared and worried  (Read 5460 times)

LainieRhodes09

AN Symptoms kind of scared and worried
« on: September 12, 2016, 02:51:37 pm »
Hello

About three weeks ago I went to bed with 100% hearing and woke up with no hearing in my left ear, I have had dizziness and numbness on the left side of my face. I ended up at the ER and they told me no fluid or wax or even an infection in my ear gave me a ct scan and said that i had inner nerve damage that i should contact my ENT and nuerologist for further testing. The more I read up on the symptoms the more scared I am on if this could be an AN. I also have memory loss and have trouble with working as well. I am not seeing a doctor until 09/22 and its just my doctor i see on a normal basis. I need some sort of answers if any of this has happened to anyone that later found out it was a AN or do you think it could be something else. They put me on a viral antibiotic and I am taking it now its 3400mg a day which to me is alot it just scares me and now I am getting headaches. I want opinions from other people who may have had these symptoms and what were there diagnosis.

Thank you
Lainie

ccooper

Re: AN Symptoms kind of scared and worried
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:15:25 pm »
Only one way to find out...see your ENT as directed, request an MRI. Same symptoms and I was relieved honestly to at least have a prognosis so I could tackle it and move on. I too had facial numbness and was so relieved when it was gone. Good luck!
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

PaulW

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 10:07:38 pm »
If they gave you a CT Scan that would eliminate a large Acoustic Neuroma.
So if you do have an AN its a small one and no need to panic.
Sudden Hearing Loss from viruses is a lot more common than an Acoustic Neuroma.
I believe only around 2% of MRI's looking for hearing loss and an Acoustic Neuroma actually find one.
Sorry to hear about your hearing, a course of steroids is often prescribed to reduce inflammation and may help.

Good luck with everything
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

LainieRhodes09

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 07:04:05 am »
Thank you everyone for your advice I am on 3400 mg of anti virals a day and they are not helping my vertigo that I have is a lot worse some days and I am not starting to get more frequent headaches as well. My memory skills are horrible and I am having trouble sometimes with work,  I will request the steroids and maybe that will help. I figured if AN is what I have I am at the very beginning of it and its probably small. I have another question maybe someone can help with, they tried to do a MRI in the hospital but I felt as they put me in there that it was crushing my chest I want the MRI done but dont know how to get over that feeling and how they could determine this if this is an AN with out an MRI or is there a way they could do the MRI with out me feeling confined as I am not a small girl so that is why I am thinking that it felt like it was crushing me. Thank you for all your help this forum is helpful.

Lainie

mac84

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 06:26:51 am »
Some places have 'open' MRI machines. If you tell the Dr the issue you're having I'm sure they can accommodate that.  Hang in there...all will be fine.  :)
Diagnosed 10/13/14 with 1.4cm AN L side
1st Consult with Vanderbilt 11//14
W/W.  Next MRI in April 2015 at Vanderbilt.
April 2015 MRI no growth -
April 2016 MRI no growth - still 1.46cm.
4/17: No growth!
4/18: No growth! MRI 2 yrs
4/20: No growth! Symptoms stable- MRI 2 yrs

LainieRhodes09

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 01:20:05 pm »
Thank you again I heard about the open MRI i am definatly going to ask about that