Author Topic: 3 weeks till the big day ....  (Read 4461 times)

joe94121

3 weeks till the big day ....
« on: November 03, 2006, 02:52:51 pm »
I am scheduled for a pre-op on 11/15 to prepare for the 12/5 surgery to have my 3.0 cm removed via the retros. approach at Kaiser's Redwood City, CA  (20 miles south of San Francisco) ... any last minute questions to ask the surgeon? what else should I know about the OR? any last minute advice to faciliatate an early recovery? (right now, i feel numb on my left face, dizzy, and off balance to the left) ???
Five years of progressive loss of hearing in left ear; diagnosed with a 3 cm. AN tumor; had surgery on in 12/06 to remove 2/3 of it. Recent MRI shows "bulkness" on the remaining 1/3 ... will be seeking radiation treatments on the remaining 1/3 in May 2009.

Desilu

Re: 3 weeks till the big day ....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 03:15:41 pm »
Hi joe94121,

The worst part is making a decision. The hardest part for you is over. Keep a positive attitude take one day at a time, don't push yourself too hard and listen to your doctors. Everyone heals at a different rate, so you really can't compare yourself to anyone else. Your AN journey will be different than anyone on this website. We can only speak from our own experiences and soon, you will be telling us about yours.

May I suggest a good suport team when you get home, someone to help you, whether it's someone to just talk to or someone to cook or clean for you.
Walking will help your balance. I tried to walk twice a day for about 20 minutes each time when I got home. If you have some side effects after your surgery, be patient because most of them will be temporary. One last thing, I had a lot of people praying for me and I truly believed it helped. So I will keep you in my prayers and pray for a speedy recovery.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Obita

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 05:46:47 am »
Hi Joe:

I hope the next three weeks fly by for you.

Best of luck,  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 08:50:39 am »
Hi Joe, definitely agree with Ann - get someone to help clean, cook - I luckily had my mom help me for 2 weeks.   If you have post op balance issues (as most of us had), the more walking the better.    Headaches for me were awful the first month or so post op (hope you don't have this too bad) - visualization really helped me with it.
Wishing you all the best, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

joe94121

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 04:17:04 pm »
Thanks for all the good wishes ... i just thought of something ... will i be able to write check or go on the net to pay bills after my surgery ... how soon afterwards? 3 days?  ... maybe, i should prepay some of the bills in advance? .... ciao. ....
Five years of progressive loss of hearing in left ear; diagnosed with a 3 cm. AN tumor; had surgery on in 12/06 to remove 2/3 of it. Recent MRI shows "bulkness" on the remaining 1/3 ... will be seeking radiation treatments on the remaining 1/3 in May 2009.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 04:21:36 pm »
Hi

We are all thinking of you and will be there for you. 

BTW, we are not that far from each other.  (Redwood City and Stanta Cruz mountains)  So, we are about two hours away from each other when you land at RC.

Enjoy the weather before, it gets nasty.  Winters can be "hard" up here and you will be laying down during the rainy storms, I presume.

Get out there now before the sky falls.........have fun,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 05:11:04 pm »
Joe, I'd give myself a good week before attempting anything like looking at a computer screen--better to take care of anything like that beforehand.
We are just going to have to get the forum admin to put a calendar on this thing so we can keep track of all the people going into treatment!!
Best of luck to you and wishing you a speedy gonzales recovery!!!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 12:24:33 am »
Joe, Just want to send you my well wishes before your big day. I agree with Deb about giving yourself time afterwards to not worry about bills and such so what I did was pay everything a month ahead. That ended up being plenty of time. I really didn't need that much but it was kind of nice to not worry.
Also, make sure you have help in line for when you come home and don't refuse offers of help as they come along. I found that many people seemed to "really" want to be of help for me...and I have to fight off that prideful "I can do it myself" attitude a lot ::)
My thoughts will be with you as your day approaches. Try not to worry and spend the next few weeks doing all the things you really love to do.                   Sherry :)
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 09:01:14 am »
Joe, got my pirate gear ready for your day!!!!!  Hang in there. I know this wait is the worse and possibly a very anxious time... but, we're cheering you on!

We'll be ready with a mug o' grog to help celebrate when you become a "postie" (post-treatment)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 10:08:35 am »
Joe,
   I'm sure your getting anxious. The waiting can be quite nerve racking. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a successful outcome. take care
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year