Author Topic: How long did your headaches last  (Read 2881 times)

Trinityfilled

How long did your headaches last
« on: September 02, 2016, 11:16:22 pm »
Hey everyone,
I had surgery exactly 10 weeks ago and I'm still needing Tylenol and Advil for headaches. I need usually one of each a day, about 12 hours apart. Sometimes I can make it about 15hours, but sometimes only 8 hours. I was just looking for a bunch of feedback on personal experiences with their headaches and how long it took for them to stop post op. I m know some people end up with chronic headaches and some never got a single headache at all, but just looking for experiences. I guess I'm really curious to know if I'm one of the unlucky ones that will be stuck with chronic headaches since I'm 10 weeks post op, or if there's still hope that they will stop soon. My headaches tend to be frontal headaches and escalate annoyingly quick if I don't jump on them, but completely go away with just one Tylenol or one Advil. Thanks so much for any feedback  :)
Diagnosed AN on 4/18/16, 3.6x3.4cm
12hr Retrosigmoid surgery 6/24 removed 85%
Second surgery, 6hrs, with Friedman & Schwartz at UCSD 8/7/18 for regrowth 3.3x1.5cm. Small portion left to preserve facial nerve.
8/15/18 CSF leak from incision after suture removal. Sutures replaced.

jaqiday

Re: How long did your headaches last
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 07:13:32 pm »
Mine were daily for about 6 months after surgery and then several times a week and gradually have tapered off to one a week or so. They were also alleviated by just Tylenol or Advil. I am now 18 mos post op and still have some bad days but more often don't need anything for pain. I too found it best to jump on them and not try to tolerate it out, getting rid of pain makes the day much better :D
Right AN 3.2cm 2-27-15
Retrosigmoid 3-9-15 6 hours
Facial nerve paralysis, dry eye, balance problems
Finding a new normal...

sbass6508

• 22x22mm
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:45:08 pm »
I started having headaches at around 5 weeks post op. They didn't feel like traditional headaches but more like "shooting pains" that seemed to radiate from my neck/base of my skull up to my forehead. Unlike any headaches that I had in the past, prior to surgery. Sometimes it felt that it throbbed with my heartbeat. My primary physician prescribed me a 20mg NSAID that is supposed to help with inflammation and I read that it is often prescribed to arthritis patients. This I take in the morning and it usually lasts all day until I have to take Tylenol around bedtime. As with you, a simple Tylenol makes the pain go away even though it's the worst head pain I've ever experienced. The prescription NSAID has helped me cut down on how often I take the Tylenol and the overall head pain. Hopefully it is starting to subside gradually. I will try to stop taking all together in the next few weeks to see.
22x22mm
Dr. Tamargo Johns Hopkins 5/12/2016
Suboccipital craniectomy
Near total resection with small fleck of tumor left on facial nerve
fleck extensively bipolared with electrical current
Facial nerve anatomically in tact but stopped stimulating late stages of dissection

ccooper

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:41:12 pm »
Like you, I had a large tumor removed earlier this year, retrosig. I had to take advil every 8 hours or the neck tension/headaches would come back. I started taking meloxicam once a day and was able to make it about 18 hrs. I'd take one tylenol before bed. I had a second surgery in July and it eliminated some of the pain but at about five weeks in, the neck pain returned but not as bad. But I'm back to taking advil every 8 hours. I recal around four months it got better. But still good days and bad days. My Dr at House said it could take up to a year to feel significantly better, particularly with retrosig. I just always feel grateful that Advil makes it go away. It's just a lot of Advil a day. We are both about 10 weeks out, where did you have surgery?
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

Trinityfilled

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 02:59:19 pm »
Thanks for your feedback everyone. Ccooper, I had my surgery in Albany, NY at Albany Medical Center with Dr. Alan Boulos. I have my next follow up appt on Sept 14.
Diagnosed AN on 4/18/16, 3.6x3.4cm
12hr Retrosigmoid surgery 6/24 removed 85%
Second surgery, 6hrs, with Friedman & Schwartz at UCSD 8/7/18 for regrowth 3.3x1.5cm. Small portion left to preserve facial nerve.
8/15/18 CSF leak from incision after suture removal. Sutures replaced.