Author Topic: Seton Hall information (after care for those with surgery by House physicians)  (Read 10936 times)

BamaStory

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:00:15 pm by BamaStory »

DebV

Bama Story,
Thanks for all the great info. I am headed to St. Vincents and Seton Hall on Monday 9/05 for my Middle Fossa procedure that will happen on the 7th. I wasn't sure what we were going to do to eat while we were there, but it sounds like there are a few options and maybe more if we are willing to drive a little way.

Hope all is well, thanks again.
DebV
0.6 x 0.4 x 0.4 Left side AN diagnosed 5/27/16
Consult w/House, Dr. Wilkinson 07/21/16
Middle Fossa craniotomy  9/07/16 by Dr.Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute Los Angeles

S. Robin

• 8.3 x 4.2 x 4.3 mm AN, translab recommended
This information is really helpful. thank you so much for posting
8.3 x 4.2 x 4.3 mm AN, translab recommended
22 year old
sudden loss of hearing in left ear

UpstateNY

BamaStory, that is a great summary for others that will stay at Seton Hall.  I almost felt like I was back there while reading it.

We rented a car, since my wife had intended to go into her employer's L.A. office for some half days while staying at Seton Hall.  It never worked out that way, but you are right it is $25 per week.  They have a parking lot at the hospital's main entrance or another multi-level lot next to Seton Hall.  However, the ticket needs to be purchased at the hospital's main entrance (outside the lobby).
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

ccooper

Great details! The one thing I would add from my stay in July 2016, is we used Uber Eats to deliver food from AMAZING restaurants of all flavors. So simple, not as cheap as burger king, but I found the cafeteria to be pretty bad, except oatmeal in the AM. We also took Uber downtown on a few occasions, around $5 one way. 

Also, while Seaton Hall was a great option to stay at, since this was my second surgery I can attest to how important walking, walking, walking is. The area around the hotel isn't really an area you want to be out walking in. We moved out of Seaton once I was released and went closer to the beach. But for those not going that route, walk the halls, walk outside during the day, get fresh air. 
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

KirkR

I have a few things to add regarding our stay at Seton Hall.  My wife and I stayed there for 2 weeks during and after my surgery in October.  First of all, I'll add it was very convenient for us to be so close to the hospital.  We discovered quickly that the hospital cafeteria didn't serve hot meals at dinner time, but there was a choice of 2 entrees at lunch time (1 on weekends), so we just had our big meal of the day then and carried out back to the eating room at Seton.  We had bought breakfast/lunch things before arriving, so we had everything we needed (occasionally had to add a few items from the cafeteria).  Our only issue with the Seton eating area was that the toaster didn't pop up, so we had to watch it like a hawk.

Other things -- there are 2 Internet connected computers at Seton, but they are so locked down by Websense security that e-mail is blocked and you can get to web sites like Southwest Airlines, but the printer didn't print, so we couldn't use it for boarding passes.  The tablet I brought worked fine from our room for everything I needed it for.

When we arrived, we just dropped off groceries and luggage from our rental car and returned it to the airport -- we got by fine without it.  We took public transportation back to the hospital -- Flyaway bus from LAX to Union Station, Red Metro subway to Westlake/Macarthur park, and the 200 bus up the street 3 blocks to St. Vincent.  Total about $12 per person.  Mid-day, there really aren't any problems with the neighborhood.

One problem I had with Seton after my surgery is that I could only sleep on one side and all the pillows were so very hard on my good ear that we had to buy a pillow at Ross, a couple of blocks down Alvarado.  Also, one day when I was feeling well enough for a walk during my recuperation, we had lunch at the Pollo Loco, across the street from Ross -- good food and popular with the locals.

jnmlasater

Thank you for all this info!  My husband's middle fossa is scheduled for next Tuesday, nov 29.  We will be arriving Sunday, so this info is just what I was looking for.  I've been reading posts from here for months and appreciate the stories and information that is shared here.  Nervous for next week, but grateful that we are not alone.  Thank you all!
12mm AN - discovered in 2012
Removed via Middle Fossa on 11/29/16 @ House with Drs Slattery and Schwartz
As of 12/20/16 hearing slowly getting better...hopeful for full hearing recovery

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Thanks for this information everyone.  I'm still not sure if I'm going to House or Keck; if we end up at Seton all this information is wonderful.  My poor husband will end up on the sofa bed, since he tends to thrash around when sleeping, and I sure don't need that after surgery!  We have a king at home.  We probably won't bother with a car either, and I like the description of how to get from the airport to Seton by public transport.  Wonder if an Uber would be cheaper than $65.  Anyone try that?  I have a coupon for one free ride from Lyft, but I got it last summer and have no idea if its any good now. 

Thanks again.

jnmlasater

Thanks for this information everyone.  I'm still not sure if I'm going to House or Keck; if we end up at Seton all this information is wonderful.  My poor husband will end up on the sofa bed, since he tends to thrash around when sleeping, and I sure don't need that after surgery!  We have a king at home.  We probably won't bother with a car either, and I like the description of how to get from the airport to Seton by public transport.  Wonder if an Uber would be cheaper than $65.  Anyone try that?  I have a coupon for one free ride from Lyft, but I got it last summer and have no idea if its any good now. 

Thanks again.

We were there 3 weeks ago. Uber was about $25-40 from LAX (depends on time and current demand).
As of 12/20/16 hearing slowly getting better...hopeful for full hearing recovery

jnmlasater

We really loved our stay at Seton. It was not fancy, but clean and extremely convenient.

The washing machine is still not working. I am considering starting a gofundme to raise $$$ for them to get a new washer the ones they have a top load washers, and they use them for all of the linens from the rooms. Since they need a new washer, it might be nice if they had a front load to allow them to wash more linens at once.

Would others on this board be willing to donate to help?  Is that a bad idea?  I am sure they are not making much (any?) profit at $85/ day.

Let me know your thoughts. If there is enough interest I'll get it setup.

sharonov

Small addendum re the Thai restaurant next to Burger King:  it is awful. Well, maybe depending on what you order. We had a visitor so decided to "eat out."  Since we had no idea where to go, we thought it best to stay close, as I'm still not 100% by a long shot. It was evident when we came in that this is not meant to be an eat-in place, though there are some long rough tables and very uncomfortable chairs and benches. It had that old poultry smell that some Asian restaurants have, which I found very unpleasant. I ordered my favorite Thai soup, Tom Kah Gai, and my companions each ordered a meat/vegetable dish. Neither my husband nor I could eat much of ours since the meat was of poor quality (we're talking chicken here), my soup was just a bowl of mushrooms and s****y chicken globs, and the smell turned us off. I'm sorry we didn't investigate other options.

jnmlasater

Small addendum re the Thai restaurant next to Burger King:  it is awful. Well, maybe depending on what you order. We had a visitor so decided to "eat out."  Since we had no idea where to go, we thought it best to stay close, as I'm still not 100% by a long shot. It was evident when we came in that this is not meant to be an eat-in place, though there are some long rough tables and very uncomfortable chairs and benches. It had that old poultry smell that some Asian restaurants have, which I found very unpleasant. I ordered my favorite Thai soup, Tom Kah Gai, and my companions each ordered a meat/vegetable dish. Neither my husband nor I could eat much of ours since the meat was of poor quality (we're talking chicken here), my soup was just a bowl of mushrooms and s****y chicken globs, and the smell turned us off. I'm sorry we didn't investigate other options.

We saw somewhere that the Thai place was delivery only so we only ate delivery from there. The Pad Thai was good. The Tom Kha was NOT GOOD. The Red Curry was OK. The Fried Rice was good. I think it's dish dependent on what's good and what's not. But the conditions of the place sound sketchy. Although I must admit it might be more authentic than others (if that's a goal)!?!

We noticed that most places don't have much seating. The Burger King had very few tables. Tommy's Burgers had only standup tables. Taco Bell didn't have any tables at all!  I am sure it is because real estate is so expensive there.

sharonov

You're right about lack of seating options in restaurants around the hospital--it could be the price of real estate or also could be that shady characters could end up hanging around.  We saw lots of shady characters.  Seafood Express had plenty of tables, but most were dirty and the food was not good.  It got good reviews on Yelp, but I thought it was awful.

That said, I had some really nice experiences with Hispanic people--we went shopping at Ross just to get out, and I ended up putting too many possibilities in my shopping cart.  I realized I couldn't lift everything, and the people behind me were getting impatient.  I tried to explain that I just had surgery, and a young Hispanic girl about half as tall as I said. "I'll help you Ma'am" and carried everything into a dressing room for me!  Then, in the Mexican supermarket Numero Uno (only a couple of blocks from the hospital) I was standing in line with my few items and the guy in front said, "is that all you have?  Go ahead in front of me!"  Nobody ever does that anymore.  The Mexicans are nicer to older people for sure.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Thanks to all for posting this info. I was a guest of Seton 7 years ago and it's good that someone has posted updated information since then.  It's definitely not the Embassy Suites, but for the cost and the area it does just fine.  It's also especially nice to be able to wander the halls in the middle of the night when you can't sleep and have company with people who are in similar situations as you and has their head all bandaged up or all stitched up and nasty looking just like yours.  This is why this forum exists, to help others as they prepare for their own journey and hopefully is a comfort to them.  Thanks again all!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

sharonov

Some hearing left, but got BAHA ????

Jaylogs, just read your post and you've answered a question that's been plaguing me.  I begged to have saved whatever (very crummy) hearing I had left.  Dr. Schwartz accommodated me, so I can still hear a little out of my right ear, but speech discrimination is extremely poor.  I thought I'd try a hearing aid, but then wondered if a Baha would work.  I use a hearing aid in my "good" ear.

Has it worked well for you?  I figured I'd wait a few months until my head is less tender and start researching, but you've answered my #1 question as to whether the Baha is just for a deaf ear or could be useful for one with a little bit of hearing left.