Author Topic: Need Physician in Houston  (Read 5028 times)

SMC

Need Physician in Houston
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:23:15 pm »
Hi
I just found this forum and wish I had found it a long time back.  I have had my surgery exactly 14 months ago.  the tumor was big but I was blessed that the facial nerve was not cut and they did not do a graft on the nerve.  My left side of my face is still distorted and no movement.  Me left eye is dry and closes very slowly.  My face has improved since surgery but still no movement.  I had my operation in San Antonio and the doctors did a wonderful job but I would like to follow up in Houston now and I don't know where to go.  I am not sure if my face will ever be normal again and I am surprised since the nerve was not cut why it is taking so long for recovery.   Also my left ear has some hearing lose but that does not bother me it is the face that is my concern

I appreciate any help I can get

Boppie

Re: Need Physician in Houston
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 12:10:36 am »
My facial nerve was not severed either,  I had late onset numbness and slight paralysis.  However the facial issues cleared by the 6th week or so, with the exception of the tongue and taste buds.  The tongue issues are still clearing, and almost 100% by now at 11 months out.  My tumor was 2 cm and since yours was possibly larger, the healing time is more delayed.  My doctor had explained that the trauma to the facial nerve was a result of the picking away at the tumor pieces.  The nerve has to regenerate on its own.  This regeneration takes a lot of time, in micrometer steps, until all is back in proper functioning arrangement.

I can recommend Dr. Jeffrey Vrabec, Otolargyngology Department at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas.  He is in practice with Dr. Coker.  You can google the name to see his photo and qualifications.  From there go to related references and links you see. 

I like Dr. Vrabec's quiet manner and intelligent, respectful way of explaining things. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 12:23:21 am by Boppie »

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 09:05:15 am »
To SMC:   I've read on some posts here that some folks didn't have movement for as long as 2 years, so don't give up hope.  I have facial paralysis, my facial nerve had to be severed.  You may want to check into getting a facial EMG - it will show if any nerve fibers are responding(I had one 3 1/2 mos. post op in preperation for the 7/12 jump, but the EMG showed some nerve fibers firing by my chin, so the surg. is postponed 3 months pending another EMG).  I know how you feel about the paralysis.  I even just started acupuncture!! - figured what have I got to lose?  Had my surg. in Miami, sorry can't help with Houston docs.    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 09:13:55 pm »
SMC,
I had my surgery in Clear Lake and the doctors were both great but I think Boppie has the better referral for after care.  Her doctors told her a whole lot more than mine did.  Godd luck.
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

SMC

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 03:51:12 pm »
thank you all for the information and for the encouraging words.  It means alot to get some hope and know there is still a chance or recovery.  I will check out the doctors that Boppie suggested.  thanks alot