Author Topic: Facial Paralysis 12 Weeks Out.  (Read 6651 times)

InnerGrace

Facial Paralysis 12 Weeks Out.
« on: August 21, 2016, 02:30:57 pm »
Good afternoon, fellow warriors.  I wanted to get some input, which I may know the answer already but it's always nice to get input from those that have already traveled down this road.  I had my AN removed on May 30th and ended up with facial paralysis.  As devastated as I was, I pulled on my big girl panties and decided that I wasn't going to let the paralysis take control of my life.  I am posting some pics...a before, which was about 3 weeks out and an after..which was last week while I was vacationing in Ocean City with my daughters!  Which by the way, was an absolute glorious time...beautiful weather all week.. but may I add that there were many frustrating times with the SDD....;)  (Getting a hearing aid for sure)  I don't know if there is a huge difference.  There are certain things that I feel are a wee bit different.  My eye for instance, doesn't need ointment as often as it did.. but it still does not close on it's own all the way... I call it a flutter.   I started seeing a facial therapist about a month ago...... he gave me minimal exercises as he wants to see more nerve regeneration before we hit it big time..but there are times, when I feel my muscles around my mouth....seizing up...  that's the best way I know how to describe it.  Like they pull and freeze for a couple of minutes and then let go.  About two weeks ago... I was running around the house doing my housework and I felt the corner of my mouth pull up and I ran to the mirror and there was just the slightest bit of an upturn to my mouth.... as quick as it came, it went.  Shortly after that, I was driving and I thought I felt my nose flare on the AN side... I looked in the rearview mirror and sure enough, it was making a bit of a flare... as quick as it came, it went...lol  And just a couple of days ago..... we were getting ready to go to the ocean..(:) )  And I felt my chin pull and I looked in the mirror and it was indented....for a bit longer than the other incidents.  lol  I get so so so so excited over these things.  I just want validation, I guess, that these are VERY good signs of regeneration... in the world of AN's, I know 12 weeks is not a long time out for nerve regeneration, but some days I get scared that my nerves aren't going to pull it together... also... even though I haven't had a cry in a long time, I'm pretty sure I don't cry out of my left eye, yet tears will randomly roll down my cheek... just out of the blue.  Any good words on my experiences so far are greatly appreciated!  (So there is no confusion... the first picture is flipped around... I don't know how that happens.  But it's MY left side that is the AN side)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:32:01 pm by InnerGrace »
Diagnosed 4/28/2016
2.4 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN
Symptoms:  Mild Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus, Mild Balance Problems, Possible Vision Issues, Some Vertigo.
Retromastoid Craniectomy 05/30/2016. UPMC Presby
Dr's Gardner and Hirsch
Left SSD. HB 6 Facial Paralysis.  Waiting for the nerves to wake up...

InnerGrace

Re: Facial Paralysis 12 Weeks Out.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 02:35:14 pm »
Sorry the first pic is so big and the second one is so small...lol
Diagnosed 4/28/2016
2.4 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN
Symptoms:  Mild Hearing Loss, Mild Tinnitus, Mild Balance Problems, Possible Vision Issues, Some Vertigo.
Dr's Gardner and Hirsch

Rhcdad

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 07:45:30 pm »
I too had facial weakness, very similar to yours. I am now 10 months out and I would say 70 % there. Still can't blink left eye and other facial muscles are acting wierd, like neck muscle is working facial features on surgery side. I started doing acupucture about a month ago. My only comment is that as much as we read and try to get things to happen it seems to me that everyone is on there own timetable and if you push the nerves adverse things can happen. Everyone is different, I guess I am saying that patience is required, if I look back I pushed my massaging / excersises too quick and time seems to working for me. It is tough, and I do not underestimate this. I am sure you see improvement all ready, it will come I believe, mine has. Stay strong.
2.54 cm tumor
TransLab @ House Clinic
Surgery 10/27/15
Numerous Post Surgery Issues

InnerGrace

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:02:54 am »
This was me yesterday.  That little smirk and dimple on the right, that's  my affected side.  And for a moment in time, I was smiling... :D  This has been happening more and more lately but yesterday I caught it on camera.  LOL!  I am over the moon with excitement.  I haven't a doubt in my mind that it's going to come back!!!!!  Patience is the key!!!  I hope in the future, folks out there that experience the facial paralysis, see my post and carry hope with them!!!! 

Diagnosed 4/28/2016
2.4 x 2.0 x 1.9 cm AN
Dr's Gardner and Hirsch

Trinityfilled

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 12:06:01 am »
I too woke up from surgery HB 6. My face slowly started moving again around 3 weeks and has been making slow progress since. I am currently HB 2/3 at 10 weeks out, so getting there. I know exactly what you are describing with the freezing up feeling of the muscles, and just wanted to caution that my doctor believes this to be synkinesis. Too much stimulation early on in the recovery can cause the nerve to go a little wacky and not move properly. I was actually advised to not do any exercises until at least 6 months out and to try not to even smile big or open my mouth really wide when I talk. It sounds like your nerve is definitely recovering and you are on the right track. It's so hard, but I think time is the best thing for you right now. Good luck in your journey, and I would love to see those progress pictures when your movement returns  :)
Diagnosed AN on 4/18/16, 3.6x3.4cm
12hr Retrosigmoid surgery 6/24 removed 85%
Second surgery, 6hrs, with Friedman & Schwartz at UCSD 8/7/18 for regrowth 3.3x1.5cm. Small portion left to preserve facial nerve.
8/15/18 CSF leak from incision after suture removal. Sutures replaced.

JLR

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 06:02:25 am »
Hello I am 7 weeks post op. Right AN removed. Can h share all your info re the eye staying open. I have ointment and keeping it taped so it will close. It's getting better but I need advice re keeping it closed. The taping is very hard on my skin.  Thanks. Joan. Oh have been to doctors who want me to tape it

Kristena

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 12:00:23 pm »
I tried a variety of tape, and had problems with raw skin and losing eyelashes. I had the best luck with using thicker drops at night with Press N Seal (similar to Saran Wrap). Just a small piece - maybe 1x2 inches - pressed to my eyelid, then pulled down to shut the eye and applied below the lash line. It kept the moisture in and was so easy to remove, even multiple times in a night if I needed to. The biggest problems I had were cutting the squares (my scissors got sticky and some of the pieces were unuseable), and sometimes I had wrinkles around my eye in the morning if the piece wasn't applied smoothly enough. I also liked to think it was training my eye on how to be fully closed again.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!

Sanderson

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 10:36:35 pm »
I would love to know how you are doing! Have you continued to improve?
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

JLR

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 04:34:16 am »
Hi what type of facial massage excercises do you have. I had facial therapy, acupuncture, additional facial therapy and early facial exercises while in rehab after the surgery. I'm slightly improved and I'm 2 years out. I was told recently that very early facial exercises was the problem. And never Elect Stim. Told that's the worse for recovery. Although the acupuncturist said its the best thing I rejected it because my doctor said not to do it. But I'm in interested in your exercises re facial massage.  Thanks so much.