Author Topic: Speech discernment VS. SSD  (Read 3267 times)

Leta7417

Speech discernment VS. SSD
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:34:37 pm »
If I recall correctly my AN side has normal pure sound hearing but markedly poor speech discernment.  Has anyone had the experience of having poor speech discernment then, after surgery, having SSD?  Is it easier to understand what people are saying with one good ear as opposed to one good year and one poor ear?  At times I find it discouraging, especially in noisy, loud places and I can't understand what people are saying even though I can hear all the noise just fine. 

Just diagnosed in March 2016 with 9mm AN and am in the watch and wait group. 

Thank you for anyone's response. 

Echo

Re: Speech discernment VS. SSD
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 12:15:33 pm »
Hello Leta7417,

I had Gamma Knife surgery almost 3 years ago.  The hearing in my good ear is not 100%, but it's more of an age thing where I have trouble hearing some of the higher tones. The hearing in my AN ear is still somewhat usable, however my word discrimination varies between 20% to 40%, up and down.  I've been fortunate not to loose my hearing completely, but without the help of my Phonak BiCros hearing aids, I notice a huge difference.  For me the hearing aids have been a huge success.  Super noisy environments still pose problems, but for day to day living, I'm completely lost and frustrated if I don't wear my hearing aids.

Cathie

Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Leta7417

Re: Speech discernment VS. SSD
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 05:01:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  My tumor is still small and it was just found a few months ago.  It's all new to me.