Author Topic: Symptoms of AN but MRI negative  (Read 4806 times)

mbgaff1

Symptoms of AN but MRI negative
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:33:32 pm »
Hello everyone--
I have been reading this forum all week waiting for my MRI results which came back clear today. The ENT is puzzled by my symptoms and I thought I would see if anyone else had these. This started 3 weeks ago with what they thought was ear infection and swimmer's ear due to fullness and pain I had. I was treated with antibiotics but did not help. I went back to the doctor and she thought maybe it was shingles in the ear but I didn't have a real rash. THen I was treated with antiviral med and prednisone. I went to the ENT and they did hearing test that showed loss of hearing in that ear. He ordered the MRI with and without contrast. It came back ok so he says maybe I need a neurologist. The symptoms I have are extreme pressure in the ear and head on the right side, numbness from the top of the head down to the chin on the right side (like I have had shot of novacaine), intermittent pain and sometimes a foggy feeling. I did have headaches most of last week. It does get better when I lay down at night on that side and first thing in the morning. Yesterday was a good day but today was not so it seems to change frequently. Can anyone relate to this??? I am so frustrated. Is it possible that the MRI could have missed a AN if it was real small? Should I have had an IAC MRI...not even sure what that is but saw it while googling?

mbgaff1

Re: Symptoms of AN but MRI negative
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:53:19 pm »
Also...anyone notice increase in ear pain and pressure when you chew or open your mouth wide?

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:15:59 pm »
The IAC is the Internal Auditory Canal and all MRIs related to AN include the IAC as the MRI encompasses your entire head, front to back, side to side, top to bottom.

For an MRI with contrast to miss an AN, the AN would have to be so small as to be unlikely to create any symptoms at all.

I've been host to my own illegal alien for 4 1/2 years and have been on this forum for that long.

I'm obviously not a doctor but I don't recall reading symptoms like yours being associated with ANs, other than loss of hearing, which could be from anything in the absence of an AN.

Keep checking back here for other comments.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Blw

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:59:09 pm »
Perhaps a Cholesteatoma. That was what my ENT initially thought I had. I would suggest making sure your doctor is at an ear clinic or practice, they have all the intstruments to test for a variety of ear ailments.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:37:44 pm by Blw »

mbgaff1

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 02:58:09 pm »
Arizonajack -

I thought the symptoms of AN were similar to the ones I have...one sided hearing loss, fullness/pressure in the ear and some numbness of the head on the affected side, headache and feeling a bit foggy. Am I wrong? I had one doctor think it was shingles in the ear but I have no rashes. This is quite puzzling.

michelej

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 08:18:16 pm »
I unfortunately am a "oops I missed that AN on the MRI" case. I finally gave up after my first MRI was negative for a couple of years. Decided I was just "crazy and getting old'. I had decreased hearing on one side, felt foggy, my ear had tinnitus and crackling at first. It felt full and my balance sucked. Finally I went to another ENT and had another MRI. I however was smart enough to have a copy of my old one and asked him to compare when he saw the new MRI with the large AN on it. It was there the whole time and I picked it out by myself. I am not saying that you have one, but I would certainly be sure to have someone  else read the thing. If your symptoms persist after seeing a neurologist find someone else. Don't just give up. You know how you feel and if you don't watch out for yourself the medical field won't for sure. Good luck.