Author Topic: Successful Surgery In San Antonio, TX  (Read 3448 times)

al3372

Successful Surgery In San Antonio, TX
« on: July 15, 2016, 06:27:49 am »
So after 2+ years of initial discovery and deciding to take the moderate approach of monitoring, finally had my surgery on 8 July 2016.  I am writing to share my experience because this platform helped ease my mind significantly.  Initially discovered the schwanomma after a miserable hearing test for a military assignment, A 1.1 by 1.0 cm in size in the right vestibular.  Fast forward to last summer, we moved to San Antonio, TX and the hunt was on for treatment options.  Initially met with Dr. Susan King, Neurologist who started a series of tests to determine effects, etc.. She was very easy to understand and took the time to explain all the options available.  Rather than rush to the surgical option, she referred me to Dr. Christopher Bogaev, as a leading neurosurgeon in the field, local in San Antonio.  After consulting with him in December, we all decided it was best to remove it with translabyrinthine approach, meaning they will go in from behind the ear and try and remove all of it. This decision was based on a 80 percent hearing loss and the beginnings of slight effects on the balance and facial nerves.  All was set and I was lucky to learn that both Dr. King and Bogaev would perform the surgery together.  They also had another neurologist whose sole function was to monitor the facial nerve during the procedure. 
On 8 July, I checked into United Methodist, Stone Oak hospital for the surgery.  Got to meet with all the doctors 30 minutes before the procedure for last minute questions and 5 hours later I was awake in the ICU.  By day 5, I was already sitting on my couch at home.  While I still have a numb sensation around the ear, I feel extremely happy with the results considering I just had a crew of people literally inside my head.  I have totally lost all the hearing in my right ear, as expected, but will be looking at options in the next few weeks. 
obviously it is too soon to comment on the overall recovery process but I feel like it's going great and I attribute that to the Doctors but also to a blog I read a few months prior to the surgery.  The key to that blog was start getting in shape as soon as you can prior to having the procedure.  I took that to heart, and started my workouts 4 months prior.  I lost 28 pounds prior to surgery mainly by jogging, walking and a light gym workout everyday.  I will post more later on regarding my recovery as time progresses.
So get in shape and stay positive.  Again, if you're in the San Antonio area and looking for a doctor for this, Dr. Bogaev and Dr. King are the people to go see.

Good luck.

UpstateNY

Re: Successful Surgery In San Antonio, TX
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 07:59:18 am »
Thanks for sharing your story and great results.  I wish you continued success with your recovery.  Please keep us posted.
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

Blw

Re: Successful Surgery In San Antonio, TX
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 11:43:13 am »
Those are my doctors. King is in the Ear Medical Group, I have the other one, Dr. Syms from that group. Bogaev is my neurosurgeon, but I elected to have Gamma knife at UVA with a colleague of Bogaev. I think Bogaev said he has done 800 of these. Very highly recommended.