Author Topic: Hey Gang, Road Trip's back  (Read 11367 times)

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
Hey Gang, Road Trip's back
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:17:38 am »
Hi everyone, Ahoy maties, the old Road Trip has been out of the loop for a few weeks.  They dropped Wifi in the area I was parked, but we've moved locations from Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, and now we are in Northern Texas for a few weeks.  Had a slight accident on the way, had a tire blow out on the towed Jeep and ruined the fender, wheel, two tires, etc., it was a real mess, but the Rock Star Bus came through without any damage, and I've already gotten the Jeep repaired, sooooo, I'm looking for dirt roads ;D

6 months post op and I feel great.  Balance comes and goes, but I haven't found anything I can't do yet, and the loss of hearing really doesn't bother me much, except in Walmart, or Restaurants.  There is some type of hum in Walmart that just shuts out anything being said around me.  My dear Carol hates that.....because she'll be pointing some really interesting thing and just chatting away, forgetting that shes on the wrong side (AND NO its not selective hearing :P), I do that when she's on my good side.  Anyone else found that to be the case.

I'll read through the past posts to try and catch up on what's going on with all the shipmates and other poster's, just wanted to say Hi and let everyone know I'm back on line and if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to try and help.  I had a great experience (at least as far as the outcome of my surgery) and will share what I know.  Glad to be back.

road Trip
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

matti

Re: Hey Gang, Road Trip's back
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 12:49:39 pm »
Hey RTD - Happy to see you back on, we've missed you!! 

Still waiting to be adopted by you and Carol ;)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:19:32 pm »
Hi Roadtrip - What a way to recuperate, travelling cross country - my kind of rehab!!!!   I also have total hearing loss (on the right side), & yeah, going in restaurants, or anywhere alot of people are talking at once is really difficult, I find myself sticking my finger in my left ear to protect it - everything sounds louder in the left ear.   Have a wonderful time travelling.  I can't wait to start travelling again.  Best to you and your wife, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:31:48 pm »
Hi Dale:

Good to see you back among us, as it were. 

As another over-60 guy who had a successful AN removal and rapid recovery (now 5 months out) I enjoy reading about your trips and 'adventures'.   Too bad about the Jeep. 

About hearing adjustments: my wife automatically walks (or stands) on my right side, as she knows if she is on my left (my 'deaf side') she is wasting her breath, which she doesn't like to do.  She also tells 'new' acquaintances who are unaware of my 'monophonic hearing' (as we call it) that, if they are on my left and if I seem to ignore them when they speak to me (it happens) it's because I'm deaf in my left ear.  That usually solves any issues that can arise and if I'm alone and meet someone I want to talk to, I just turn a bit to my right side to hear them better.  No problem.  Restaurants and other crowded places are always a challenge for the hearing-impared (us) but so far, so good, unless - as happened at a recent (noisy) wedding reception we attended - someone across the table is a 'low-talker' and insists on having what seems (to me) to be an almost-whispered conversation with me.  Fortunately, I was able to lean over far enough to catch most of what she was saying (not very interesting, at that) and was able to respond appropriately.   

I don't know about you but I keep having folks I know tell me how 'good' 'I look these days.  Now, I can't lie - I like hearing that - but sometimes I wonder what it really means.  I did lose a lot of weight, pre-op, and while I was not fat by any means, I weighed almost 170 on a 5'7", smallish frame and now, at 140 pounds, I 'm at the weight I was 30+ years ago.   Due to some shaved spots made on my head for nerve monitoring, pre-op, I had to get a re-styled haircut that I know is an improvement over my 'old' hairstyle, so that might be some of it because a lady in our church told me flat-out that my 'new' haircut was very 'youthful' and attractive. Hmmmm.  Fortunately, my wife thought that comment was 'cute'.  I finally asked a lady of our acquaintance what she meant when she, too, told me how 'good' I looked.  She said that I smiled a lot more than before the surgery.  O.K.  Maybe I'm just pleased to get that bugger out of my head (well, most of it, anyway) and get my life back, as you have done.  Of course, I'm not as ambitious as you are, Dale.  I've traveled lots over the years, lived and worked in 3 different states and now have few peripatetic urges, but I think it's a great life if it pleases you, as it obviously does.  Again, good to have you back on the forum.  Take care and, as the late Roy Rogers used to sing: 'Happy trails to you':)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:43:26 pm »
Hi Dalie,

It is nice to meet you!  (hand-shake)  I'm a "newbie!"  (aproaching CK soon)

I don't have a picture up but, I'm red-blonde with shoulder length hair, small frame, 5'4, brown eyes and don't weigh much except my big AN does.  I thought I'd give the others an idea who they were talking with.  They have discussed music lately and I didn't enter my thoughts on that.   I loved your "road trip information."  It was fun because, I always expect serious text when I log on here.

I'm so glad to hear ("well, can't hear but, on one side") that you are doing so well.

Tell your wife, "Hello" from all of us.

Congratulations.......Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Obita

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 03:52:33 pm »
Hi Dale and welcome back!!

You are only 6 months post op?  It feels like I have known you for years!!

Glad all is well with you and Carol.  Tell her I said Hi and we will see you next spring in Iowa.

Kathy

ps:  do you ever get the wonkyhead on windy days driving the bus?

Hi Palace:  it is not always serious on here.  Type in "speedo" on the search line and Dale comes up!!
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:03:40 pm »
Oh......So that's it! You were out on the road. Well, WELCOME BACK!!!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Battyp

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 08:47:10 pm »
speedo?  Hmm....type in pirates and see what comes up  LOL

Welcome back Dale!

Can you and your wife swing by fl and pick me up?  I soooo need an adventure! ;D

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 07:46:08 am »
Welcome back Dale!!  You're missing fall foilage in New England... how about brining that roving home of your's up this way? Got a brunch for the AN gang on November 19 in Worcester MA.... would LOVE to have you join us *hint-hint*

Welcome back!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 09:10:02 am »
Yo Mate:

Are you going through No. CA., Santa Cruz area?  (or the lovely Santa Cruz mountains?)  Let us know as us Northern California bunch hang, near Stanford area which is our new home!  (meaning camping out at Stanford for treatments and consultations)

BTW, I never got to see Joe Cocker and still want to see him get into The Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame.  He has a heart of gold.  We were planning to move to his area in Colorado until this AN situation came up.  We might still move there.  I wish I had seem him "Rock" in his day of youth before, I lost half my hearing.  *(which I have more to lose the rest on the right side with radiation at the end of this month)  It isn't quite all gone yet on the right side.  I probably will have to "kiss off the rest of the hearing on the right, I suppose with CK."  I never saw one of JC's concerts and adore his soul with feelings from his heart.  I used to take professional voice back in Los Angeles/Hollywood.  I really miss my hearing for music.  We have our first rain here today and it sounds different with just one side.  (big sigh!)  Well, I still would like to hear Joe Cocker in person but, I would have to sit up close to get the impact.  He and a few other "good oldies" are still performing.  Most of you people won't know who this is but, I saw Leon Russell back in early June and that is where I really noticed my hearing was off.  I was sitting right next to Leon Russell and one of the very loud speakers.  I have seen Yanni when I could fully hear.  I appreciate all kind of music except not a total "RAP" person.  I have a few of those on DVD and CD's.  I'm more of a classical and rock person but, I like the band to be really talented with class.  (no off the wall and weird stuff for me)  The Acoustic Neuroma is the only weird thing I need to get rid of in my life.

So with that, will some of my symptoms go after six months of the Cyberknife treatment?  I can't even turn my neck it is so tight.  Last night I did Sonata to get to sleep, *(with the tennitis, facial pain, etc.) I awoke at midnight with my fifth night in a row, migraine headache.  I took 100 mg of Imitrex and a 5 mg of Ambien.  I have started my day at midnight too many days in a row and stayed up all night.  I had to get some sleep.  I got up at five in the morning, feeling better as you can see.........this post is way too long.

Getting offline.........ya' all have a good day,

Palace
single sided deafness

Crazycat

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 09:25:10 am »
Palace, are you one of the "Merry Pranksters"?

Paul

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 10:14:29 am »
Hello Paul,

What is a "Merry Prankster?" 

I'm just an *honest person* having a "hard-time" awaiting my appointments and having severe AN symptoms.  I'm a "Newbie" here.

Again, what is a "Merry Prankster?"  If you are serious.........does that mean you are questioning my being here?   :o   Sadly, I do have a big AN and I don't know what you mean or why you would even think I wasn't an AN person.  You have been following and responded to my posts for awhile. 

I just don't understand your last email.  Would you kindly explain it to me?

Thank you for your time and efforts,

Palace

single sided deafness

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 10:23:16 am »
Hi Palace,

Oh, I can't speak for Paul, but my understanding is that "Merry Prankster" is one that likes to participate in fun, mischief and mayhem.  I think you misunderstand and many of us here are "merry pranksters" as it's a fun way to deal in life although health issues may bother us.  Oh, please do not worry about you being here. You are now a special member of our AN family as everyone here is special! :)

I am a merry prankster and proud of it. Humor helps me in times of feeling like blech due to health! I do hope you are a merry prankster as well! It's a good thing! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Crazycat

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 11:30:19 am »
Palace,

So sorry for the confusion. Back in the early sixties there was a group of adventurous youg people that were referred to as "The Merry Pranksters" that lived in the area of California that you're in. The leader of the group back then was Ken Kesey, the famous author of two novels: "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" and "Sometimes A Great Notion". These people were on the cutting edge of the counter-culture movement of the 60s' and everything that went along with it. They were immortalized in a book written by Tom Wolfe entitled: "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test". It's a great read! In the mid-sixties they piled into a psychodelic painted schoolbus and drove across the country to meet with Timothy Leary, the Harvard Professor turned L.S.D. guru who was holed up in a mansion with his "people" tripping his brains out on lysergic acid somewhere in New York.
    My alluding to you as a member of "The Merry Pransters" should be taken in the spirit of a colorful and endearing compliment - in which it was intended - and not as an insult or slight of any kind.

Again, no malice (in the Palace) intended.......Paul
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 05:06:37 pm by Crazycat »

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 11:33:04 am »
Dear Phyl,

I guess I'm an "M.P." then!  I didn't know I was *naturally* talented in that area.  I reread my post to see what might be miss-leading.  I was hysterical laughing at my own text.  What made me laugh so hard was it is all true, what I wrote and it just sounded funny.  My grandmother was a famous poet, my mother loved to write and I, as well.  I never wrote my own songs but, maybe I should have.  I haven't laughed so hard in a year, since this AN was coming on.

Thank for the enlightenment.......laugh on,

Palace
single sided deafness