Author Topic: Sleeping problems 2 weeks post retrosigmoid  (Read 3108 times)

Trinityfilled

Sleeping problems 2 weeks post retrosigmoid
« on: July 09, 2016, 04:37:20 pm »
Hey everyone,
Anyone have any tips on sleeping? I am just 2 weeks post retrosigmoid surgery and I just can't seem to find sleep. I'm either waking up in pain, waking up to put more eye stuff in, or waking up to take more pain meds! Ugh. I feel like I only have one sleeping position, which is flat on my back with my head slightly turned so I don't lay on the incision. This mad given me a terribly sore neck and shoulders. If I try to lay on the right(the unaffected) side, I get a terrible headache, and if I lay on the incision, I get horrible headaches and vertigo. I literally have like 8 pillows plus my maternity pillow to try to prop myself in all sorts of weird positions but so far, nothing helps. I am just feeling terrible because I am just so exhausted! Any tips? Maybe a recliner? I just don't know anymore.
Diagnosed AN on 4/18/16, 3.6x3.4cm
12hr Retrosigmoid surgery 6/24 removed 85%
Second surgery, 6hrs, with Friedman & Schwartz at UCSD 8/7/18 for regrowth 3.3x1.5cm. Small portion left to preserve facial nerve.
8/15/18 CSF leak from incision after suture removal. Sutures replaced.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: Sleeping problems 2 weeks post retrosigmoid
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:50:09 pm »
Hiya Trinity! Welcome to the wonderful world of post-surgery all the fun that goes with it.  Everyone has a different experience post recovery but whatever it entails just know it will get better! Just hang in there!  If you are in major pain, a call to your doctor might be in order.  In the meantime, just keep trying to find whatever works to ease the pain.  Heat/cold packs...baths with epsom salts, profession massages...all are things you can try.  Good luck and hope you are feeling better!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

researcher

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 02:13:31 pm »
Hi Trinity! I slept elevated for 4 weeks--my choice. Just elevate the mattress about 6 inches. Well, get someone else to do it for you. I was afraid of csf leaks so I kept my head elevated for a long time. We can all sympathize with the ever-changing annoyances, pain, numbness, etc. I did get sinus headaches when the thunderstorms would come.

Try sleeping in the recliner if you want. It might help. I am a big believer in taking it easy. Also, call your doctor and tell him/her your concerns.

Greece Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 02:33:54 pm »
I did some recliner sleeping post op for sure. I got a stiff neck because there was only one position I could sleep in. I also did some Tylenol pm a couple of times. It does improve. I woke up a few nights ago and thought, "wait a second, I'm sleeping on my incision side!" 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Trinityfilled

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:54:22 pm »
Thanks so much for the encouragement guys  :) Such a strange journey we are all on. I think being slightly elevated is helping. I created a nice elevated caccoon with a bunch of regular pillows and my big maternity pillow so it's getting better. Hopefully my neck muscles start to feel a bit better soon since they were so strained during the surgery. I think that will help. I'm also gonna ask about the Tylenol PM at my appt tomorrow.  :)
-Aimee
Diagnosed AN on 4/18/16, 3.6x3.4cm
12hr Retrosigmoid surgery 6/24 removed 85%
Second surgery, 6hrs, with Friedman & Schwartz at UCSD 8/7/18 for regrowth 3.3x1.5cm. Small portion left to preserve facial nerve.
8/15/18 CSF leak from incision after suture removal. Sutures replaced.

v357139

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 07:46:10 pm »
Hi Trinity.  I don't have much advice but just wanted to say I sympathize with the issues you are dealing with.  I am very sorry and hope they resolve soon.  In this world of AN many times we have to find our own best solutions.  Keep searching and trying new things, and I am sure you will continue to find ways to deal with your issues.  Also things do get better with time.  Hang in there, I am rooting for you.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!