Author Topic: Recommendation on providers in New York State  (Read 3171 times)

NYStateUser

Recommendation on providers in New York State
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:20:42 am »
Hi everybody, I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with radiosurgery for acoustic neuroma in New York State and if yes, how was your experience with your doctor?  We are deciding between cyber knife and gamma knife radiosurgery. Does anyone have any recommendations on surgeons in New York City or Hudson Valley region who do either one of these procedures?We have newly relocated to the area. How was the whole process of meeting your surgeon, going through the surgery and post-treatment experiences? Thank you in advance for sharing and your time. 

UpstateNY

Re: Recommendation on providers in New York State
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:16:51 pm »
Although I ended up taking the microsurgery route, I had heavily considered radiosurgery.  The two physicians I considered were Dr. Kondziolka (NYU ; New York City) and Dr. Lunsford (UPMC ; Pittsburgh, Pa.).   Both have been in the field for a very long time (they worked together at UPMC) and are considered the top gamma knife surgeons.  I found Dr. Kondziolka more personable and Dr. Lunsford very dry and to the point, but you can't go wrong with either one since both have a vast amount of experience.

Many people on this forum have gone to these physicians, so either others will reply or you can search for the physician  names on this forum and read about the experiences others have had.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:31:24 am by UpstateNY »
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

JLR

Re: Recommendation on providers in New York State
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 05:14:43 am »
Hi hoping you can share the doctor recommendations for NY with me. Thanks!!