Author Topic: Dr. Eric Wilkinson, Houses Clinic  (Read 9380 times)

DebV

Dr. Eric Wilkinson, Houses Clinic
« on: July 09, 2016, 12:45:48 am »
I was recently diagnosed with a 0.6 X 0.4 X 0.4 mm left side AN. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on so as to understand what this means and what I need to do about it. I have read a lot about House Clinic and since I'm heading down to LA to visit family (I live in Oregon) I decided to give them a call. I would have never imagined that I could get an appointment within just two weeks, but I did, WOW!  I have an office consultation with Dr. Wilkinson, however I have not heard his name mentioned in any of the forums I've read. Can anyone tell me about this Dr. and share their experience? If I'm going to go to HEI then I of course want an experienced surgeon.

Thanks for reading
Thanks for listening
Thanks for being there. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:47:40 am by DebV »
0.6 x 0.4 x 0.4 Left side AN diagnosed 5/27/16
Consult w/House, Dr. Wilkinson 07/21/16
Middle Fossa craniotomy  9/07/16 by Dr.Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute Los Angeles

UpstateNY

Re: Dr. Eric Wilkinson, Houses Clinic
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 07:56:50 pm »
Dr. Wilkinson was the physician that first contacted me when I requested a phone consultation.  He seemed knowledgeable and experienced, but I ultimately ended up choosing Drs. Slattery and Schwartz.

There is no reason why you can't speak to multiple physicians while visiting the House Clinic.  Since two physicians perform the surgery, a neurotologist (performs the opening and closing) and a neurosurgeon (removes the tumor), I certainly recommend you speak with at least one of each.  I highly recommend Dr. Schwartz for the neurosurgeon, as do most on this discussion forum.  A few others on this forum were treated by Dr. Wilkinson, so hopefully they will reply with their personal experience.
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

DebV

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 06:32:30 pm »
Thanks UpstateNY for your response. I actually went back and read your story and I too am very worried about the long term possibility of the side effects of radiation. I am nearly 53 years old and my tumor is small so I know most would advise GK, but that just scares me even more than the possible complications of surgery. I'll have another MRI in November and see where I stand at that point but I would like to have it removed while it's still small as I have few if any symptoms currently. Thanks again for the information,  I feel better knowing I can choose my surgeon.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:34:46 pm by DebV »
Middle Fossa craniotomy  9/07/16 by Dr.Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute Los Angeles

yuwenli

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:12:28 am »
I have phone consultation scheduled tonight with Dr. Wilkinson.  My AN is about 2.6cm and found out through MRI recently.  My only symptom is hearing loss at high frequencies and ringing in the ear.  I will let you guys know how it goes.  I'm a new member and this is my first post, thank everyone for all the posts.

yuwenli

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »
Dr. Wilkinson called me at home and we talked more than 30 minutes, that is more than the combined time my ENT doctor spent with me on my two visits.  He is a very nice person and seems very knowledgeable, he told me that he will work with Dr. Schwartz if surgery is done there.  Dr. Wilkinson mentioned that he handles about 25% of AN surgery performed in House Clinic and Dr. Schwartz is considered the very top Neurosurgeon in the world who deal with AN.  I did mention to him that I have other appointments with my local Otolaryngologists in Philadelphia area, he understands that I don't have to rush to the surgery, and asked me to call him after my consultations with other doctors.

My concern is that he recommended Translab (He did said that the approach could be decided later), meaning I will have a total loss of my hearing in the affected ear. I have some hearing loss but only at high frequencies so not sure I'm ready to loss my hearing 100% just yet, although my AN is quite sizeable (about 2.6cm x 2.0 cm).

I asked him about the hours of surgery and recovery needed:

Surgery:  8 to 9 hours (from 7:30AM to 3:00PM), total hours under anesthesia.
ICU: one night
Hospital Stay: 3 to 5 days
Stay in LA: 2 weeks (8 to 9 days after surgery to remove the stiches)
Out of Work: 2 months

UpstateNY

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 11:37:45 pm »
Yuwenli,

The surgeon will recommend a specific procedure based upon the tumor size and location, current symptoms, your expectations, and their experience.  If you are not comfortable with accepting translab, in addition to your appts in Philly I would also suggest you also speak with Dr. Slattery at the House and Dr. Friedman at USC (Keck) to see if their recommendation matches, and if not why.  Both will provide free phone consultations, are top Neurotologists, and will spend as much as needed on the phone.
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved

yuwenli

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 01:50:41 pm »
UpstateNY,

Thank you very much for your advice.  I read through your post and found it very helpful, my AN is very similar to yours, except mine is 2.6" (maximum dimension), I have some hearing loss at high frequency and some ringing in the affected ear.  I believe we are the same age too.

As you suggested, I may need to seek opinions from other doctors, including other House doctors such as Dr. Slattery.  Do I just call the House and ask Dr. Slattery to look through my MRI and other reports and give me a call?  I had an impression that doctors don't like to offer second opinion over other doctors in the same office, not sure this is the case.  How did you handle this situation?

Again thank you for your advice.

UpstateNY

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 12:41:11 pm »
yuwenli,

You would call the House asking to setup an appt with Dr. Slattery and they would connect you with his receptionist for scheduling.  Mention that your records had already been sent in and you had spoken with Dr. Wilkinson, but also would like to consult with Dr. Slattery due to another patient's advice.  They certainly understand that picking a surgeon is very much about the connection between the patient and physician.  This is exactly what I had done.

DebV

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 05:54:05 pm »
Thank you UpstateNY and yuwenli, for your posts regarding Dr. Wilkinson.  It's been just over a week since I had my in office consultation with Dr. Wilkinson and I've just returned from California.  I agree with you yuwenli that Dr. Wilkinson is very knowledgeable in this area and he did also confirm that Dr. Schwartz would be the Neurosurgeon.  I found Dr. Wilkinsons knowledge and confidence very reassuring, he answered all my questions without hesitation.  He also told me that I would be in ICU one day and in the hospital another four days approximately, staying in the LA area for an additional 5 - 7 day to have the stiches removed and that I would be safe to fly home after.  As for my AN,  it is approx. 6mm directly in the center of the canal and buffered on both sides with CSF making it the ideal tumor for the best possible hearing preservation using the Middle Fossa approach.  Although he is also trained in GK he was the only opinion out of the 3 I received that suggested surgery due to the size and position (and frankly I am not open to the idea of radiation). Because I found him to be competent and because Dr. Schwartz would be the neurosurgeon removing my tumor, I have made my decision to have the Middle Fossa with the House team.  I'm not going to lie, a big part of my decision is due to people such as UpstateNY.  I received no advice, however your story forced me to look at the very real possibility that my tumor could also grow more quickly then is typical which could completely change the dynamics of the treatment and hearing prevention. So, I am scheduled for surgery on September 7, 2016 and yes, I am a bit nervous and scared, but I know I am in the best possible hands with Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz.

Thanks for reading
Thanks for sharing
Thanks for being there

UpstateNY

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 08:20:13 am »
DebV,

I'm glad to hear you had a good discussion with Dr. Wilkinson.  Deciding on a treatment and a team you feel comfortable with can be the hardest part.

It's natural to be nervous and scared, but as you state, you are in the very best and most experienced hands at the House Clinic.  Please keep us posted on how your surgery goes.  We've seen many very good surgical results posted on this forum lately, so would like to see yours as well.

yuwenli

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:11 pm »
DebV,

Thank you for sharing your discussion and your confidence with Dr. Wilkinson. like UpstateNY said please keep us posted with your progress.
Good Luck.

DebV

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 12:51:29 am »
Good luck to you yuwenli, let us know what you decide as well.

HoosierRick

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 11:33:17 am »
DebV,

I had Mid Fossa surgery with Dr. Wilkinson/Schwartz back in December of 2011.  I was very pleased with both Dr.s and think you made a great decision in going with them.  My AN was relatively small, but had created about 25% hearing loss.  My surgery lasted about 6-7 hours and they were able to preserve most of the hearing that I had left.  I was very impressed with the care I got.  I have spoken with and emailed Dr. Wilkinson several times in the past 5 years and he responds and listens to my concerns just like the first time I spoke with him.  Not that there aren't other Dr.s that are just as good, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Wilkinson to anyone.  I hope that your experience with him and your surgery go just as well.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to IM me...one bit of advice that I will throw in there...I flew back from Cali to Indiana about 10 days after m surgery, had no complications while there, but when I got back I developed a blood clot in my leg.  No way to know for sure, but I think it was from the flight back.  If I were to do it over, I would take aspirin before the flight(as long as Dr said it was okay).  I realize your flight wouldn't be as long, but I wouldn't take any chances...the blood clot has been worse than the surgery.  IMO.   :(
3mm x 3mm right side AN. Diagnosed 10-13-11. Surgery @ HEI w/Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz 12-07-11.

UpstateNY

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 01:49:54 pm »
To add to what HoosierRick said about blood clots, I brought compression stockings with me for the flight back (LA to NY for me) to help avoid blood clots.   Just something to consider in addition to asprin.

DebV

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 04:27:58 pm »
HoosierRick,
Thanks for your post, it is very reassuring to hear that your surgery with these two amazing surgeons went so well. I too found Dr. Wilkinson to be very personable and have found much comfort in my decision to have my surgery with House. Now, just a few weeks away, I'm just trying to get all my ducks in row. It's amazing that just when you think you have all your ducks in a row, you get more ducks!  Oh well, one day at a time.
Thanks again
DebV
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 11:54:55 pm by DebV »