Author Topic: Please help.  (Read 30011 times)

Denise

Re: Please help.
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2006, 08:42:50 am »
Good Luck Katie and Mike,  I hope all goes well in Germany.  I am prior military, I know how slow the military works! You are both in my thoughts as you wait for your appointment date.
Hang Tough!!!

Denise
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines

Boppie

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 10:46:39 am »
Katie,  I have been reading this thread and thought I'd chime in with a contingency list.  If your husband gets referred for immediate treatment, will you have the time in Germany to get that done?  Will your travel plans allow changes for a departure date to go back home?  Do you have family to take care of things at home until you return, if your stay is extended in Germany?  Sorry to be the devil in the details!

Best Wishes to both of you!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 10:49:01 am by Boppie »

Laura

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 11:44:14 am »
Katie and Mike - I will be praying for good results on the 14th. Please be sure to post again and let us know how things go.
Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

5frys

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 11:50:45 am »
Boppie................We just moved to this "remote" military assignment island, less than 3 months ago and since the military lost our household goods we are without most of our creature comforts........so life has been, shall we say, an adventure. :-\
We have 3 children and Mike's sister has flown here from the states to stay with our 10 year old twins, and 4 year old.....all girls for as long as we need her to.  We also have VERY supportive family in the states that are "standing by".
We are very fortunate and don't know what the future holds as to the news we might find out in Germany. We just hope they have answers that we have not been able to get up until now.
I appreciate your questions and concern.
With God ALL things are possible.
Katie writes

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2006, 12:15:02 pm »
If there is an AN, it will show as a bright white blob in the skull on the MRI - pretty hard to miss (as long as they use the contrast dye).  Unfortunately, the radiology techs who run the test will probably refuse to tell you anything about the results.  At least in the States, the MRI has to be read by a radiologist - the person running the machine can't tell you anything.  But even if the tech won't say anything, you can either insist on seeing the films yourself or insist on getting a report the same day.  Where you are traveling so far for this test, I can't imagine waiting around for several day to see what the radiologist says!

It's so wonderful that you have such a supportive family.  That can make all the difference in the world. 

Another Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2006, 12:51:43 pm »
Hello again,

Since your husband is so sick with this, I can't imagine that his doctors in Germany won't be all over this as soon as he has his MRI. Yes, with contrast. Ask them if that is what they intend to do. One would assume they aren't total idiots and contrast would be a "given", but it'll make you feel better by asking them to know for sure they are covering the bases.   Ear Nose Throat doctors are very qualified to figure out what is wrong. Mine didn't, but that's another story!  A neurologist eventually ordered the MRI, and then my glowing AN was there for all the world to see!  I wish you a safe trip to Germany and the best doctors to look after your husband. Answers are forthcoming!! Hooray.

Hang in there,

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

5frys

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2006, 01:29:04 pm »
Mike here...thanks again for all of the help and support.  I do have one question.  One of my symptoms that I haven't seen listed as an AN symptom has been pain at the base of my skull at the back of my head.  Kind of feels like a golf ball stuck right there.  If I rotate my head right I get a sharp pain there and the fullness in my ear really intensifies.  Just wondering if localized pain in that location is something anyone else has experienced.  Thanks again.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2006, 02:13:04 pm »
Mike,
  From looking through descriptions by people who have been diagnosed with an AN, "pain at the base of the skull", would probably not be a normal diagnostic symptom.  But people have described all sorts of various head pains.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2006, 03:09:49 pm »
Yep .. I had bad lower neck pain .. and others here ( mainly people with large AN's) ..  but AN can cause headaches or neck pain .. I guess it depends how low the AN is or what muscles are effected ...

ps .. you rather have the neck pain .. it has completly gone away since my surgery!!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 03:19:58 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Obita

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2006, 05:58:53 pm »
Hi Mike:

Yep, I had the same thing.  I was told it was from trying (unconsciously) to keep myself upright.  The AN had destroyed my balance nerve so I was compensating badly and my posture was suffering.

Good luck Tuesday. 

Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

5frys

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2006, 06:44:59 am »
Did you all feel so dizzy that you would fall over?  That has only happened to me on a few occassions.  Most of the time I just feel very...unstable may be the best way to describe it.  I have a hard time explaining this to doctors, because I don't have virtigo where the world is spinning.

tony

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2006, 12:49:23 pm »
Yes - we all are only guessing here, but basically compression of the balance nerve
has some weid effects - falling the obvious one.
Between now and diagnosis - reccommend you stay clear of ladders
- or any domestic situation where you might fall hard
You may have trouble in low light situations, or carrying something heavy,
Sharp turns or simply standing up.
Any kind of alcohol will make it worse and quickly
Basically, take it easy, till someone really knows whats wrong.
Have a good trip on mon
Good Luck
and Best Regards
Tony

BusyBonnie

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2006, 01:08:53 pm »
I get to watch objects move and jump at me! It happens to me lately every evening. It's making it very difficult working and driving. Nothing is really spinning but my eyes just feel like they can't keep up with my head. Last night at work my legs felt like they might buckle and a few times I thought I would fall but didn't. I'm a waitress and I'm not sure how much longer I can work. Difficult job with a tumor. I'm just going to keep working until I do fall, lol.
I think we all experience things in a different way when it comes to ANs.

Lana
Mother and wife.
2006 11mm acoustic neuroma.
GK Dec. 27th 2006 at SD Gamma Knife Center.
June 2007 MRI - No signs of necrosis.
April 9th 2013 - 13mm
Will be scheduling radiosurgery again

Obita

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2006, 07:35:26 am »
Hi Mike and Katie:

Shortly before Thanksgiving of '03 and 4 months prior to diagnisis, I had what I thought was the worst flu of my life.  I put up with the dizziness and vomiting for 4 days and finally went to urgent care.  The Dr. there gave me some dramamine (which helped like you wouldn't believe) and told me to see my GP.  I was holding on to the walls while walking durring that time.  I did feel like I would fall over.

I will be thinking of you in 48 hours!!  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04

Obita

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2006, 06:58:15 am »
It is almost 2:00 pm in Germany -

Hopefully Mike's MRI is done and he and Katie have some answers.
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04