Author Topic: Please help.  (Read 29982 times)

5frys

Re: Please help.
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2006, 05:40:33 am »
Mike here...first let me thank you all once again for all your advice and encouragement.  The MRI that I had done in Germany showed no AN, so we spent several more days there going back and forth between the ENT and the neurologist to try to figure out what was going on.  It seems that the conscensus of both doctors is that when I became ill in Iraq it was some sort of virus that caused a severe infection in my inner ear.  This was the ENT's explaination for the tinitis and other ear related symptoms.  The neurologist has the same opinion of what is causing the "tingling" sensation on my face.  In a sense it makes sense to me that a viral infection affecting the same area where an AN would be would result in similar symptoms as AN, so we're hoping the diagnosis is correct.  The neurologist is treating the nerve related symptoms by prescribing neurotin.  As for the ear related problems, the ENT didn't give much hope of any treatment other than saying things need to run their course and the tinitus may never go away.

So, once again thanks for all of the support out there.  This truly is a wonderful and compassionate thing you've got going on here...keep it up!

Mike sends.

Obita

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2006, 06:17:26 am »
Mike and Katie:

What great news.  Another possible AN that ain't!!  That does not happen too much on here.  Congrats.......

I hope your symptoms ease up soon so you can get on with your life.

Thanks for the post and thank you so very much for serving in our Military.

Kathy from Minnesota
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Derek

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2006, 06:35:24 am »
Mike and Katie...

Great news for you both....looks like its going to be a super Xmas for you and a fantastic New Year.

Very Best Wishes

Derek
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 06:16:20 pm by Derek »
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Laura

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2006, 07:46:51 am »
Mike and Katie - excellent news. I'm glad you finally got the answers you have been so desperately in search of! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Laura
Diagnosed August 17, 2006
AN on right side 1cm x 7mm x 7mm
30% hearing loss with no other symptoms
Watching and Waiting
http://www.patient-network.com/lparr
It's mind over "matter"... even if the "matter" is in my mind

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2006, 07:48:15 pm »
Mike,
  It sounds like the doctors are thinking it's viral ventriculitis, a viral infection in the balance sensing organ.  If so, it should go away in a few weeks.  Best of luck to you.  I'm sure getting the negative MRI results was a big relief.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW