Author Topic: Our experience at House  (Read 3902 times)

tthomas

Our experience at House
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:20:18 pm »
I just wanted to take a minute to share our experience at House Clinic in Los Angeles.  I cannot say enough wonderful things!  If this post is lengthy, I apologize.
Joby, 22 years old, had his second surgery on June 7, 2016 (previous partial tumor removal in 2008 and Cyberknife in 2009).  His tumor had grown back to roughly 4 cm.  We talked to a couple of surgeons, but we decided to make the trip to LA.  Dr. Schwartz and Dr. Slattery were the surgeons.  Dr. Stefan was the internist.  They and the staff at St Vincent's hospital took excellent care of him.  His tumor was reduced to 4 mm along the facial nerve in an 8-hour surgery.  His facial nerve deficit was minimal (2/6).  He only spent 24 hours in ICU.  When he went to a regular room, he was able to stand and use a urinal.  By the next morning he was walking to the bathroom.  He walked in the hall on post-op Day 2 as well.  He took no pain meds after leaving ICU, just steroids.  We were release to Seton Hall on June 10 before lunch.
We stayed in LA at Seton Hall from June 10 through June 17.  We were able to do a bit of sightseeing AFTER the surgery.  Joby was only on steroids during this time, no pain meds.  I know and want everyone else to understand that his recovery was not typical of first surgeries as he has been without his hearing and balance for eight years.  However, I am truly amazed and grateful at how well he has done.  We were even able to make an impromptu stop in Las Vegas for two nights.  I thank God for his grace and House for their skill in getting this tumor hopefully under control.  We will follow up with an MRI in six months in Alabama to check the progress.
FYI, Seton Hall was great.  It's right at the hospital.  It's not the Ritz, but you have everything you need.  It's safe and clean.  There is a washer, dryer, and detergent.  There is a kitchen so you can cook if need be.  There is a tunnel from Seton Hall to the hospital if you need to go back and forth at night.  The building, elevators, and room doors are adequately locked.  The hospital is in a very poor neighborhood with many homeless people close by.  Getting out at night on foot was not an option.  There are grocery stores close by, but not in walking distance.  There is a pharmacy in the professional building at the hospital.  There is a Burger King and a couple of ethnic restaurants nearby.  We opted to go away from the neighborhood to eat, which was by far the biggest expense.
Uber is a great way to get around.  It's cheap, clean, and the drivers are overall pretty cool to meet.  Get Uber (or Lyft) from the onset.  Our cab fair from LAX to downtown was $75 compared to the ride back with Uber which was less than $20.  Most trips locally were about $5.  It's well worth it as parking and traffic are terrible!
As I said, I cannot say enough good things about the House doctors.  I was apprehensive about being so far away from home, but it was exactly where we needed to be.  I would not hesitate to recommend for anyone to go there. 
If I can answer any more questions from anyone, I'd be more than happy to do so.  I'll keep you all posted as we go along.  Best wishes to everyone out there.
Sincerely,
T

polaka12

Re: Our experience at House
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 06:08:57 pm »
Thank you for posting this. I am having a second surgery at House with Dr. Schwartz on July  19th. 3 years to the day of my last one. I have regrowth around 2cm as of End of February. It comforts me to hear this as my days get closer you can't help but worry.  Sound happy to hear all is going well. It's not easy dealing with these tumors. Prayers for no regrowth ever again. Lori

tthomas

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 03:01:09 pm »
Lori, I understand your worry, but you will be in great hands.  I'll be praying for your success.  Please keep us posted.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.  Take care, T

polaka12

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 01:44:06 pm »
Thank you. I will keep you posted.

ccooper

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 08:57:09 pm »
I appreciate your post. I have my second surgery, hopefully the week of July 11th, just six months after my first surgery. Long, frustrating story. (My 1st surgery was not done at House) I'm wondering how far out in advance of the surgery did you have to be there? One day? Two days? Did you meet with the Dr's beforehand?
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 07:05:57 pm »
Dr. Schwartz at House is a genius. I make it a point to donate to him every year. He spent hours consulting with me and my family for free over the phone during my time of crisis. I have his direct cell number and personal email address if I ever have questions. And he didn't even treat me. I consider him a saint.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan