Author Topic: Widex CROS  (Read 4224 times)

carlellis

Widex CROS
« on: June 16, 2016, 07:31:08 am »
Does anyone have trouble with humidity and your CROS aids not working? I've already exchanged one pair because I thought the aids were defective. But this second pair is doing the same thing. They shut down in humid weather, and prior to shutting down they go in and out. It's quite frustrating and I'm wondering if it's really worth spending $3,500. They suggested a dry aid kit, but what's the point of that when I'm outside all summer long? The kit keeps them dry while not wearing them. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Echo

Re: Widex CROS
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »
This will be my third summer with my Phonak Bi Cros hearing aids.  I've never had any problems with mine and humidity.  For me, it those days when the wind is really whipping around, it's rather annoying to listen to.

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 12:40:54 pm »
4th summer for me with Phonak equipment and no humidity problems but, as everybody knows, in Arizona it's a DRY HEAT  ;D  so maybe I'm the wrong person to chime in on this issue.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

NYLady

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:40:14 am »
Hi Jack,

As you know, this is my second year with the Phonak BiCros...and I still LOVE THEM.  The humidity of Long Island does not seem to have any effect.  The one thing I have to remember when the sound begins to change, is to change the wax trap and then everything is great again.

I know it is a dry heat in AZ, but 115 to 120...that is still HOTTTTT!!!

Regards,
NYL

ceh787

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:46:06 am »
I don't wear CROS or BiCROS aids (this will change sooner or later), but I have worn hearing aids for 15 years.  If you live in a humid environment or are very active (sweating), then you do need a drying box for your aids.  I have worn Widex hearing before and I liked them very much, but they are sensitive to moisture and would shutdown if I didn't dry them every so often.  But after drying, they would work fine.

You only need to use the drying box at night when you're sleeping.  Each night before going to bed just take the batteries out of the aids and put the aids in the drying box, letting them sit in the box overnight.  That will remove the moisture from the previous day and extend the life of the aids.

Some of the other brands of CROS/BiCROS aids may handle moisture better than the Widex, but regardless of the brand you should use the drying kit to keep the aids in top working order.  With the cost of these aids and normal hearing aids, a drying kit is a cheap investment to keep them working well for as long as possible.

Charles
13mmx7mmx6mm Left side 4/09/16
Additional hearing loss and additional tinnitus on left side.
Already had hearing loss and tinnitus in both ears.
Currently WW until 6 month MRI, then we'll see.

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 02:22:55 pm »
My phonak has survived severe humidity when I have worn it in the shower accidently.
Have had no problems with it. My audiologist said the electronics are completely sealed, it could go under water and survive.. But the battery compartment could corrode especially with the battery in.
If it gets really wet take the battery out.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!