Author Topic: Severe neck pain after bending over  (Read 7350 times)

Yywan

Severe neck pain after bending over
« on: June 12, 2016, 10:27:07 am »
its been 6 months after my middle fossa surgery but the neck pain near the bottom of my skull hasn't really gone away.  It is much severe whenever I bend over.  The pain actually starts from the top of my ear ( where the surgery was done) to behind my ear, and the bottom of the skull and neck.  Sometimes it extended to the back of upper thigh.  I don't like paid killer so I apply Penetrex, which helps most of the time but I hope there is a long term solution for that.  I have two toddlers so bending over is unavoidable.  :(  any suggestion is greatly appreciated.   

My surgeon told me not to go to chiropractors after the surgery.  Its been 6 months, is it a okay to go now?

Thanks!

bbrian77

Re: Severe neck pain after bending over
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:50:57 am »
If your surgeon had told you to seek the help of a chiropractor, then why are you hesitating to do that? A chiropractic care with the guidance of an expert will always work. One of my friends also had a similar problem and get the help from a chiropractor in Toronto, but she sought this treatment immediately after the surgery (that month itself). Your case is different, it has been 6 months after your surgery, but I don't think that may cause any negative effect. If you are still confused, then get advice from your doctor before getting such treatments. All the best. Try some simple neck exercises and cold therapy for temporary relaxation.

ccooper

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 10:51:13 am »
I have exactly the same problem and also two young ones that have me bending over all the time. I too avoid pain meds but I've found I have to take advil/tylenol to stay ahead of it. It did start to lessen after four months. I also did PT, just on that muscle, lots of slow massage to release the pain, followed by heat. I do heat every night before bed too to loosen it up. But really, I have about 4-6 hours of relief after advil and thats the only long term help for me. And time!
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

Yywan

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:46:43 pm »
Thanks for your comment.  My surgeon told me NOT to see chiropractors after the surgery so I haven't gone ye .  He did recommended one PT but that was out of insurance network, I couldn't afford to pay cash unfortunately.  I was in fact afraid of moving the neck as I thought it might make it worse.  Will try it now.   Thank you. 
If your surgeon had told you to seek the help of a chiropractor, then why are you hesitating to do that? A chiropractic care with the guidance of an expert will always work. One of my friends also had a similar problem and get the help from a chiropractor in Toronto, but she sought this treatment immediately after the surgery (that month itself). Your case is different, it has been 6 months after your surgery, but I don't think that may cause any negative effect. If you are still confused, then get advice from your doctor before getting such treatments. All the best. Try some simple neck exercises and cold therapy for temporary relaxation.

Yywan

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 11:16:39 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions.  When the pain hits, its bad but usually doesn't last for hours.  I'll start keeping some painkillers with me just in case. 
I have exactly the same problem and also two young ones that have me bending over all the time. I too avoid pain meds but I've found I have to take advil/tylenol to stay ahead of it. It did start to lessen after four months. I also did PT, just on that muscle, lots of slow massage to release the pain, followed by heat. I do heat every night before bed too to loosen it up. But really, I have about 4-6 hours of relief after advil and thats the only long term help for me. And time!

Patti

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 07:34:53 am »
I see a DO who specializes in cranial-sacral treatment.  I go about once a month and it helps my head and neck pain.  he gently puts pressure on and massages all the membranes and muscles in the area . it kind of loosens all the kinks in the areas that have been cut through and may not heal perfectly.  this allows for better flow of the cerebral-spinal fluid. 
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015