Author Topic: Option for Government service personell  (Read 7023 times)

Sam

• I will Praise GOD in this storm !!!
Option for Government service personell
« on: October 29, 2006, 09:33:20 pm »
Needing treatment advice for Law Enforcement/Military/Special Opps from any who have had microsurgery/radiosurgery. Will I be able to continue my physical activities as far as training, HARD running (up to 7 miles ,balance beams ,climbing 6ft. fences ,walking elevated beams? This is how I live my life, I do not know any other life. This has been really devistating for me.
Diagnosed 4mm X 7mm Acoustic Neuroma Left side 09/23/2006
Gammaknife Healthsouth/Highland Medical Center 12/12/2006
                         UAB Gammaknife

Windsong

Re: Option for Government service personell
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 11:39:58 pm »
After reading all your posts I guess I have to ask:  is your employer doing all possible for you for the best possible treatment in the best possible location?

I assume they are.

I hope they are?

Best wishes,

Windsong

Sam

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 11:58:03 pm »
No, I am pretty much riding solo, every one is still in shock. I am having to figure out all the routes this go around on my own.
I guess I am still in shock myself, but my instinct tells me "we have to deal with this now". However I will say this they have been very supportive thus far.
                         UAB Gammaknife

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 05:18:59 am »
Hi Sam - you ARE an active guy!!!   There was a post somewhere here where a soccer player (college) was able to get back to her soccer!  Everyone has different issues/abilities before and after surgery.  Hope all goes well for you.
Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 08:15:06 am »
   Personally ... I that is doable .. running and climbing ...   but the balance beams would give me a hard time .. I suppose someone with better training than myself *No training at all* would be better .. but your balance is different after surgery .. it takes re-learning everything .. even walking is hard at first .. but today you would never know .. but things that tax my balance are still hard ... but it just takes more practice ... you will have to work harder that everyone else .. but its not impossible!!

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 02:13:14 pm »
I was active duty Air Force (now retired after 23 years of service) when I was diagnosed and had treatment (radiation...Gamma Knife).  I was a helicopter mechanic (UH-1N / HH-3E / MH-60G) and was able to maintain my world-wide mobility status.   Are you going before a medical review board? 

I was able to do everything I did before...and still can...with less hearing and tinnitus in my left ear  :)
I still run, bike, etc...hope this helped.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Sam

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 03:53:18 pm »
Thanks to all, and GM (you made me feel much better  :))I will eventually have to go for a medical review, I'm not sure if it will be a review board. I know I will have to prove I am still fit to perform the job. I am attempting to get a appointment at UAB (Birmingham, Al.) to discuss Gammaknife treatment. Has anyone here been to UAB for Gammaknife treatment?
                         UAB Gammaknife

Quailruner

• Kung Pow that AN thing
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 01:43:58 pm »
Hey Sam,

I am in the USAF Reserve Unit in AZ, currently a CIV or Air Reserve Tech (ART) or DOD employed.
I found out about my AN in 2005. I was afraid to let MIL Dr's know about it, so I waited a year to monitor my AN. The outcome over a year was I had lost 15dB on my AN side. This Oct I had my MIL Phisical and failed my hearing test. So I had to let the MIL Dr's know what my condition was. I thought I was going to be put on a profile for my hearing, but to my surprise I was not. I told my MIL Dr's that my hearing loss was not a factor from machinery or jet noise but from AN. I also told my Mil Dr's that my job performance over the last year has not been affected by my AN. But the bottom line for the MIL is their regulations and the standard that we have to meet. I guess I am lucky so far, because I have not lost my job yet. I am now looking into getting a disibility through VA. I plan to retire in March so this may be a factor also.
Wish you the best of luck;
Kenn A.
Kenn A. (Peoria AZ)
1.2 x .9 CM AN Right Side
Surgery on 19 Dec 2006 (Middle Fossa)
House Ear Clinic, Los Angles CA
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger