Author Topic: undiagnosed and looking for opinions  (Read 4284 times)

wagnikon

undiagnosed and looking for opinions
« on: June 05, 2016, 07:19:07 pm »
Hello everyone.

Looking for some opinions. Hopefully I posted the pictures correctly as I do not frequent forums.

I was recently referred to a neurotologist as my otolaryngologist suggested I had a benign tumor (4mm x 6mm). AN was not specifically mentioned by the doctor, however, I have all the typical symptoms including high frequency hearing loss, pressure in my right ear, and frequent bouts of vertigo for the last few years.

What has me really confused is the doctor suggested the tumor was in my left ear and my hearing loss and pressure is in my right ear. Looking at my MRI's has me confused also because what appears to me to be an AN is shown on both sides of my head but in two separate images. The images are one plane apart from each making me wonder if one could be growing in one direct and the other growing the other?

Anyway, just wanted to get some people's thoughts on my images. I will be frequenting this forum as I am unable to see the neurotologist until July 26.  >:( I will continue to do so if I become diagnosed as well. Good information here.

[imghttp://][/img]

[/URL][/img]

PaulW

Re: undiagnosed and looking for opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:32:11 am »
I wouldn't read too much into those MRI's
They are T2 weighted images, which makes AN's look very different from MRI's you have probably seen. If you have T1 images with Gadolinium it would be a far more traditional picture.
Maybe post them instead of the T2 sequence. If you have them
This is just a stab in the dark I am not a radiologist.
I don't see anything on your right side (left side of the picture)
The facial and hearing/balance nerve are visible which is good I think...
Your left side (right side of the picture) appears to be showing a slightly larger internal auditory canal than the right. it could be just the frame you have provided.. Hard to tell without a few more frames if there is an AN or not. Maybe post 3 frames either side of this one...
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Tina1980

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 02:22:04 pm »
NEWBIE HERE! I just had an MRI without contrast.. Should i get one with contrast if it comes back negative?
Symptoms:
numbness and tingly right side of face and right side of tongue for over a month now
pressure in right side of ear the feeling of ear fullness and ringing. slight pain.
NO hearing loss tho at least i don't think so because i haven't been to an ENT.

Neurologist sent me for an MRI and said it could be a pinched nerve but i don't know why would my ear be ringing and it's only the right side one where all my symptoms are happening?

Should i demand an MRI with contrast? Should i see an ENT, can only an ENT diagnose me with AN?

Thank you everyone sorry i have so many questions! Please help!

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 08:05:35 pm »
I believe modern MRI's using new techniques will pick up Acoustic neuromas just fine without contrast
Even very small ones, but I have not been able to confirm if AN's smaller than 3mm are detectable.
If you have tongue and face problems your an if you had one would be much larger than 3mm.
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

Tina1980

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 11:08:41 am »
PaulW thank you so much for your response! It did help me a lot because i thought so also, my symptoms wouldn't be so severe if AN was tiny. I mean i have the classic symptoms for this but no hearing loss so I'm not sure what this is but i should find out this coming Tuesday! Thank you again for responding!