Author Topic: Watch & Wait Coming To An End :(  (Read 7833 times)

MG

Watch & Wait Coming To An End :(
« on: June 04, 2016, 11:00:00 am »
Hi Everyone,
My time has come to an end with W&W. I have been fitted for my Cyber Knife mask and am waiting for them to set a date. I was told that I will not feel any better then I do right now and I may feel worse in the coming months.  ::) I am trying to stay positive but it is hard sometimes. I will post again soon.
I hope all of you Watch & Waiters are hanging in there. Wish I could of hung on awhile longer but my tumor has touched my brain stem so here I go!

Take care,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

keithmac

Re: Watch & Wait Coming To An End :(
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 01:12:43 pm »
Sorry to hear this.   :(  Best of luck with everything and let us know how it goes, will you?

Derek

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 01:18:01 pm »
Hi Cathy...

I am sure that you have made a decision that is right for you in your particular circumstances and that you can look forward to a positive outcome.

Very Best Regards

Derek
Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Bee123

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 02:12:39 pm »
Hi Derek ,
I am also in wait and watch category for now , i saw your AN self reduced , I am curious to know did you anything special.
Thanksd
Sudden Hearing loss in left ear in 2/8/16
MRI Contrast :3/9/16
AN diagnosed : 3/14/16
Right now 11m*5mm*6mm
Mri 2017- no growth
Mri 2018--14*10*10
Mri 6 months 2019 18*14*11
Retrosigmoid At UCSD by Dr Rick Friedman & Dr Marc Schwartz .
Facial nerv saved , some hearing saved

Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 05:52:09 pm »
Hi, MG:

You are wise to get treated, now that your tumor is touching your brain stem. CK is a fantastic choice for treatment.

Contrary to what you were told, it is entirely possible that you will eventually -- emphasis on the word eventually -- feel better after getting CK, although it may take a year or longer until you do. If your tumor shrinks as a result of the radiation treatments , it can possibly take pressure off the affected cranial nerves and brain stem and reduce your symptoms. (If my memory serves me correctly, Dr. Chang of Stanford told me that about 25% of his CK patients see "gratifying shrinkage" over the course of several years after treatment.)

This fortunately happened to me. Since getting CK in 2008, my balance has improved 90% and my tinnitus is about 90% lower in subjective volume on the vast majority of days.

For sure, I had atypically fantastic results. But it proves that quality of life can improve after CK treatments. You may feel worse for awhile -- a dying AN can exacerbate symptoms and make you feel miserable for awhile -- but eventually you may find that you're feeling significantly better than before you were treated. The best advice I can give is for you to be as healthy in your habits and lifestyle as you possibly can be -- it makes a big difference. As Dr. Chang once explained to me, the damaged vestibular nerve is your Achilles Heel. It is the first thing to act up when your general health goes downhill. So, by being vigorously healthy, you keep that weak nerve functioning the best it can.

Specifically: do aerobic exercise (besides the cardiovascular benefits, this also improves your balance), stay hydrated, get plenty of sleep and avoid refined sugar like the plague. (Sugar feeds brain tumors and is poison for the entire body.)

You will feel better before long!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Janey

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 09:07:29 pm »
Wishing you the very best through the treatment phase.  Keep us updated!

Derek

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 03:11:03 am »

(quote)
Specifically: do aerobic exercise (besides the cardiovascular benefits, this also improves your balance), stay hydrated, get plenty of sleep and avoid refined sugar like the plague. (Sugar feeds brain tumors and is poison for the entire body.)

Hi 'Tumbleweed'

Excellent advice particularly the reference to avoiding refined sugar which I have previously raised on this forum and unfortunately received disappointing responses as to the credibility of the advice.

Regards

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Derek

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 03:35:47 am »
Hi Derek ,
I am also in wait and watch category for now , i saw your AN self reduced , I am curious to know did you anything special.
Thanksd

Hi there 'Bee'...

I have sent you a PM

Regards

Derek

MG

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 04:58:35 am »
Thank you all for your well wishes. :)  I will post updates.
Thank you Tumbleweed for the positive post. That made me feel better about CK. I have a treadmill that I will exercise as much as I can. Sugar is my downfall but I have cut way back on sweets since I discovered I had this tumor three years ago. No cookies or ice cream allowed in my house!! :D I will try hard Derek!

Thanks again Everyone,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Director

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 06:39:45 am »
I am stepping in to note that we have Not heard of evidence of sugar feeding brain tumors. I will reach out to the ANA Medical Advisory Board to see if they know of any evidence to the contrary.
Allison Feldman
CEO, ANA

Notanotherthing

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 11:21:50 am »
Hey thank you Allison this would be really interesting for us to know as I sit here buzzing away.
Personally, I think stress does it (forgot when I got my MD or PHd but I swear stress does everything).

Will say a prayer for you MG that all goes well.

Signed - another member of the AN club that no one wants to be in.

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 12:13:14 pm »
Take care and best of luck! RE: nutrition advice -You might want to consider researching about eating foods that prevent inflammation. Maybe that could be helpful. Anyway, sending you positive thoughts!
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.

MG

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 04:56:29 pm »
Thanks everyone!
 I will look into the foods that cause inflammation Keep Smiling. :)

MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 07:07:19 pm »
Two points about sugar:
1. Sugar causes inflammation. Tumors are known to form as a result of inflammatory responses.
2. In order to locate a suspected tumor in the body, doctors will put a radioactive isotope on a sugar cube for the patient to ingest -- knowing full well that the sugar will concentrate in the tumor and the radioactive isotope will then show its location.

Sugar does feed tumors. Sugar does cause inflammation. And even if you don't believe that, consider how bad sugar is for your body in general. It's broadly recognized now that sugar is poison to the body. Your overall health affects everything. Give your body a fighting chance and cut out the sugar, or at least reduce its consumption as much as you can.

I'm only saying this to try to help.

My two cents,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Echo

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 08:17:47 pm »
Best of luck MG!

I had Gamma Knife treatment in Sept. 2013.  My first year post treatment was a bit of a roller coaster ride with all sorts of symptoms coming and going.  My balance was probably my biggest issue along with some ocular motor problems.  The good news is that my second year post treatment saw a huge improvement with most of my symptoms subsiding.  I'm coming up to year 3 this Sept. and couldn't be happier with my choice of treatment and the outcome to date.  Be patient with yourself, recovery after radiation takes time.

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital