Author Topic: Military Pilot with Acoustic Neuroma  (Read 6481 times)

uh60pilot

Military Pilot with Acoustic Neuroma
« on: June 02, 2016, 01:31:38 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the group and this is the first time I have posted on the forum.  First, let me say I wish I had posted earlier because I can see that the advice and support from all who participate would have been very valuable over these past few months.  Any advice given in response to this post would be greatly appreciated.

I am 33 years old and have been in the Army for almost 12 years.   My primary occupation is a UH-60 Blackhawk Instructor Pilot.  Up until now, I have had no medical issues.   I went in for my annual flight physical last December with no noticeable problems.  Unfortunately, they found significant hearing loss in only one frequency range (I had not recognized this hearing loss).  The audiologist and doctor referred me for an MRI and CT which confirmed a very small acoustic neuroma (6mm x 4.5 mm).  I was immediately grounded from flying until the issue could be resolved.  Unfortunately I was in the process of moving due to military permanent change of station, and was unable to get a follow up with an Otologist at my last duty station.  As soon as I arrived at my new duty station, I went to my primary care provider to get an immediate referral (for those of you in the military, you know this is not an easy process to try and explain all of these situations to a new doctor).

I was referred to an Otologist and Neurosurgeon in Kansas City (Dr. James Lin and Dr. Paul Camarata) who recommended 2 different approaches to removing the tumor.  Middle Fossa or Translabrynth.  In the four months between these appointments, my left side hearing significantly degraded....I had much more noticeable hearing loss and tinnitus.  All four low frequency ranges now showed significant hearing loss.  (Has anyone else's hearing degraded that rapidly?) Because I knew that translabrynth would result in total hearing loss in that ear, and thus jeopardize my career-I opted for middle fossa in an effort to save remaining hearing. 

The surgery was performed successfully on 11 April with complete removal of the tumor, no noticeable balance or facial nerve problems.  I am recovering well.  Unfortunately, the hearing isn't any better-and maybe slightly worse than before the surgery. 

According to the military aeromedical policy letters, I have to wait 6 months following surgery before a waiver for flight can even be considered.  If I have no residual balance problems or postoperative problems-the waiver may be granted.   However, I don't know if the unilateral hearing loss will ever allow me to fly again.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Furthermore, does the hearing loss jeopardize my ability to even remain in service?  I have dug through the army regulations and can only find information on bilateral hearing loss.  Since one side is still good, what are my chances to continue flying or remain in service?  Thanks for any help from those who have dealt with AN while in the military.

I want to also say that I am extremely thankful for the successful surgery and that I am relatively healthy following the procedure.  After reading this forum, I realize that many of you have had long lasting medical complications following AN diagnosis.  I have no doubt that things could be much worse and I am completely aware that my career should be the least of my worries. I appreciate all of your support.

ANGuy

Re: Military Pilot with Acoustic Neuroma
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 03:46:44 pm »
Thank you for your service!  As a wannabee who couldn't get a vision waver to get into WOFT back in the '80's, I admire what you have done.

I was searching online a year or two ago for something related to occupation and AN and came across a USAF fixed wing pilot who got cleared for flight with a restriction that it had to be in a multi pilot craft like a C130 etc.  I think he was a fighter jock and had to change his ride.  I don't remember the details other than he had radiation treatment.

I'll see if I can find the article.

As far as your future in the military, I never did serve.  Logic would tell me that you could be an instructor in some capacity, maybe even still fly.  Logic and the military don't always coincide.  For every rule, there is a waver.  Getting the waver often depends on demand.  I was told that my 20/40 vision would have been no problem if I was trying to get a waiver ten years earlier during Viet Nam, but in peacetime, they were fussier.  I have no idea how it is now.

Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:51:18 pm »
This document has some USAF waver information if you red through it.  I just scanned the paper, I spent maybe 30 seconds scrolling through it but it looks like it might have some useful info.  I'll see if I can find more.

http://asmameeting.org/asma2013_mp/pdfs/asma2013_present_555.pdf
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

rupert

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 07:30:35 pm »
The good news is that you seem to be doing pretty well after the surgery.  While I don't think your hearing will come back as the nerves are damaged,   I would think balance is the bigger issue.  If you're not having any balance problems now and no long term effects from the surgery that's good for your situation.   Do you feel you could fly?   If you feel no different than you did before that's also a plus.  Good luck with the Army and I hope it all works out.

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 03:20:02 pm »
Getting a hearing aid may help
Some hearing aids are invisible and the batteries last 2-3 months...
https://www.phonak.com/au/en/hearing-aids/lyric-invisible-hearing-aids/what-to-expect.html
You can fly a plane if you need glasses. If the hearing aid can get your corrected hearing near normal they should let you fly again, especially if it's totally in the ear canal, and batteries last months..

I believe there are commercial jet pilots that have been cleared to fly again.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

ANGuy

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 07:13:18 pm »
Getting a hearing aid may help
Some hearing aids are invisible and the batteries last 2-3 months...
https://www.phonak.com/au/en/hearing-aids/lyric-invisible-hearing-aids/what-to-expect.html
You can fly a plane if you need glasses. If the hearing aid can get your corrected hearing near normal they should let you fly again, especially if it's totally in the ear canal, and batteries last months..

I believe there are commercial jet pilots that have been cleared to fly again.

The US military as more stringent physical and medical standards than general aviation.  Fixed wing pilots can't wear glasses, their vision must be perfect in every way including all kinds of nystagmus and other testing that commercial pilots aren't even checked for. 

Rotocraft pilots have looser vision requirements that allow for vision correction if it becomes necessary for an in-service pilot.  I was trying to get a waver for my mild near-sightedness as a recruit.  I almost got it, but in the end, even for a helicopter pilot, I was turned down.

A buddy of mine thought he had perfect vision and was in AFROTC.  He went through a battery of vision tests hoping to get into a flight training program.  He failed miserably at tests he didn't even understand even after they were explained to him.  There are mechanism regarding depth perception that most of our vision systems does improperly.  Our brains compensate and we don't know the difference.  The vision tests given to candidates for military flight training are given tests that defeat that compensation and find the flaws in how our vision works.  The ones who pass have actual perfect vision in every sense of the word.

So, in short, it takes very little to disqualify a military pilot.

uh60pilot

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:28:24 am »
Thanks for all of your advice.  I will continue to update the forum on any future treatment and if I am able to resume my aviation career.  Once again, I appreciate the support.