Author Topic: Surgery set for 11/3 at House  (Read 7832 times)

sdf350

Surgery set for 11/3 at House
« on: October 29, 2006, 02:29:25 pm »
My husband Scott (the soon to be former AN patient) is upstairs starting to pack...and our youngest son- Kevin (16 yrs old) just gave me a tutorial on how to use the digital camera and download the pictures onto my laptop and insert them in mail- ... I've taken step-by-step idiot notes on what  to do since I am planning on taking his digital camera and my laptop with us-- I am looking forward to meeting with Amylynn and Linda and taking pictures of everyone to show you all that everybody is doing great after their surgeries and all well on the road to recovery!! We will be leaving from New York on Wednesday, 11/1 and Scott's surgery is on 11/3...Keep all those good vibes coming!! I will keep in touch with you all!

Stella
Scott- age 50
2.0 x 1.5 cm left "ice cream coned" AN
total sudden left side hearing loss
scheduled for translab at HEI on 11/03/06 with
Drs Friedman & Schwartz

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Surgery set for 11/3 at House
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:03:20 pm »
Stella:  wishing Scott and you good thoughts.  You guys are in my prayers.  (Wow, alot of people having surgery lately.)  God bless, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 04:03:28 pm »
good luck! .. I'll be thinking of ya!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 05:10:10 pm »
Hi there........

Thanks to each and everyone of you who wrote on the forum with support and educating us as we travel this foreign and unknown journey.

Good luck with your surgery at House,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

matti

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 06:43:41 pm »
Keeping you and Scott in my prayers and sending good and healing vibes your way. I love it that our kids are able to tutor us, I would be so lost without their knowledge.

Take care and looking forward to updates and pictures.

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

red

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 08:22:01 pm »
Good Luck.  Looks like i  will be there to wish you luck in person as my husband is scheduled for 11/6 at House.  are you staying in seton hall.  Hope to see you there.
All the best, Red and Hubby

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 08:31:55 pm »
Good luck to everyone on their surgeries.  Thinking of you and wishing everyone all the best and a fast, fast recovery.  We love to hear when another tumor bites the dust. ;D

Sue in Vancouver, WA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

sdf350

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 09:46:32 pm »
It sure looks like things will be hopping at House come the beginning of November!  And yes Red-I will be staying at Seton Guest Center from 11/2  thru 11/14--so if you will be there also, I look forward to meeting you!  Thanks everyone for all your prayers and good wishes!! They are truly appreciated!   Stella

Scott- age 50
Drs Friedman & Schwartz

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 10:19:43 pm »
Geesh, I'm beginning to feel left out there will be so many of you there at one time.  Actually that is awesome all the support you'll be able to give each other!  Those of us left behind will be doing our usual good karma jumbie pirate sock dance to spur on quick recoveries!  Many blessings to you all while you prepare for this journey. 

sherry6

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 12:43:57 am »
Good luck on your surgery!  I have not read the entire thread, but I thought I would offer some pratical advice, hopefully I won't be repeating.  I had a 3 cm acoustic nueroma removed at House in October 2001.  I stayed in Seton Hall.  Take your own pillows, preferable a chiropractic neck roll pillow.  We had to buy one when we were there.  The staff is incredible and Seton is great, but you will really need the pillows after surgery.  It helps to be propped up in a reclined position with the neck support pillow on top.   

Stay ahead of the pain (take your meds), expect some facial problems after you start coming off of the steroids as well as possible hallucinations (brief, temporary).  It is all normal, although a little scary.  The House drs are the best.  I came out fantastic with everything working.  I (no joke) went to Universal Studios 7 days after surgery and actually rode most of the rides.  The temporary facial stiffness, paralysis worried me, but my doctor had told me that what you have immediately after surgery is what you will have, so not to worry.  He was correct.  I could smile and blink after surgery and I still can. 

Plan to work on your balance.  Everyone seems to have varying degrees of dizziness.  I started practicing walking as soon as I was in my hospital room.  Since you will only have one balance nerve you will have to train the remaining nerve to take over.  The more you use it, the better it gets.  The good thing is that since you only have one nerve left it isn't competing with the only working part-time nerve which is what causes the vertigo. 

I attribute my incredible recovery to my faith, the prayers of my friends and family, and the incredible skill of the doctors at House.  I will pray for Scott on 11/3.  Good luck!

Obita

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 08:18:05 am »
Hi Stella and Scott:

Good luck to you both and thanks in advance for the pics and post op notes.  I will be checking in often.

Kathy from Minnesota
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

lmurray69

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 04:49:17 pm »
Stella  this is Linda Murray, Amy is here and doing great...you can read my post we are in and hope to meet you and scott and I wish scott the best.....Linda
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 04:59:39 pm »
Wow, look at al of you...party at House!  Good luck to you all in the next week, and glad to hear Amy is hanging in!!!!!!! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

sdf350

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 08:54:46 pm »
Hi Linda...so glad to hear that you made it safely to LA...All my prayers are with you for your upcoming surgery!!  Will be seeing you and Amy real soon!!    Stella and Scott
Scott- age 50
Drs Friedman & Schwartz

amylynn

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 08:39:17 am »
I am praying for all of you from Seton Hall this morning.  I look forward to meeting with you and hearing all is well.  God Bless.
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO