Author Topic: Necessities for Seton Hall  (Read 12798 times)

tthomas

Necessities for Seton Hall
« on: May 24, 2016, 01:30:45 pm »
Hello all,
My son is scheduled for surgery at St Vincent's on June 7.  We will be staying in Seton Hall until he is released.  Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?  I was wondering about washing clothes.  I know we can't travel with enough clothes for 2-3 weeks.
Thanks, T

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Necessities for Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:01:02 am »
Hi T .....

Other, more recent guests at Seton Hall, will hopefully respond.  When my husband and I stayed there for three weeks, five years ago, there were two washers and dryers in a laundry room right near the breakfast room (and our room) that we used.  Also, they may have changed this, but there were only microwaves in the guest kitchen area, plus coffee makers, and a large shared refrigerator ..... tableware was there available.  There was an ample eating area with tables and a couple of older computers for guest use (we mostly used our smart phones).

It is such an easy walk through the well-lighted, wide tunnel that when we were not out sight-seeing, we frequently walked to the hospital cafeteria for meals.

If no one else answers soon on this thread, I would email the current contact person and ask for sure if the guest laundry is still there.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

gedavis

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:43:54 pm »
Heading there in a week, would love to know what to expect to bring. Also ideas on what I can bring to hospital to make it easier and more comfortable for my husband during his stay.

UpstateNY

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 07:58:04 pm »
I copied this from an earlier post of mine in response to a similar question.   It describes Seton Hall to some extent, but they have pretty much everything you need except clothes, personal toiletry items, and food.

One floor is used for guests and only a few other patients/families were there during our stay.  It was by no means an environment with many patients and sick people around to depress you.  For us, the convenience of Seton Hall was of most value.  Los Angeles traffic can get pretty bad and the neighborhood is not the best (it is safe, just many homeless people), so staying there would allow your family to walk back and forth as needed.  There is even an underground walkway that connects the two buildings for added security or the unlikely event of rain.  Just keep in mind that Seton Hall is very basic, but clean and has everything you need.  The rooms have a queen bed, pull out sofa, flat panel tv, and wifi.  Some people on this forum stayed elsewhere after surgery to be in a nicer vacation-like environment, but I wanted the convenience of being next to the hospital just in case something happened.  It never did, but am still glad we stayed there.  We were able to walk to the hospital cafeteria for some meals.  Seton Hall had a kitchen with a microwave that you could heat up food purchased at a nearby grocery store.  There weren't too many nearby walkable restaurants, but we had a rental car for the days we wanted to eat or go elsewhere.  Seton Hall also had washers/dryers and an unlimited supply of washcloths and towels (self serve), which was great for me after surgery. 

Regarding the hospital, there is not really much your husband will need the first day, but once out of ICU he may want some items to take up the time.  My wife brought my iPhone and laptop so I could check work and personal emails, make calls, and access the internet.  If your husband likes crossword puzzles or similar, those may help.  Much of what he does will depend upon how he feels.  The hospital room has a tv and they will give him slip resistant socks for walking around and to keep his feet warm.  Some people suggest bringing a robe, but I found the temp very comfortable.

I'm not sure if you are going to stay at Seton Hall after your husband's release from the hospital, but if so he'll want to be sure to have comfortable walking shoes.  Recovery will consist of a lot of walking and balance exercises.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:05:59 pm by UpstateNY »
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

ccooper

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 08:26:34 am »
Seton Hall was a nice place to stay. We stayed there just during surgery and my time in the hospital and then moved to a rented cottage in Santa Monica which was excellent. As nice as Seton Hall was, walking and sunshine are so important to recovery and this isn't an area you want to be walking around. My number one tip, get Uber Eats or some food ordering/delivery service. The food at the hospital was terrible and unless Burger King is your thing, theres nothing close by. We had some excellent meals delivered from Uber Eats.
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered