Author Topic: What is post op recovery like for balance?  (Read 8768 times)

Greece Lover

What is post op recovery like for balance?
« on: May 15, 2016, 01:54:31 pm »
I had my surgery May 9. One week ago. It went well, but I'm still really dizzy. I can walk around the house and get up and down, but any turn of head to side or up and down is difficult. I presume this is normal but I'm curious to get other people's perspectives and experiences. Thanks!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

researcher

Re: What is post op recovery like for balance?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 02:56:37 pm »
I was like that after surgery. I found it a little easier to walk if I fixated on a point and walked toward it. Then fixate on another point, etc. That way your eyes aren't moving around too much.

Going to the grocery store was the worst. All those items to see!

In reality, you need to go for walks around the block and try to get your balance back. I walked a lot in my house with my walker after surgery. Then walked around outside. It does take time though. Be easy on yourself! You just had major surgery. Take care.

caryawilson

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 03:55:32 pm »
If it makes you dizzy, keep doing it. I had these same issues and it was a matter of training my brain. It's not easy but keep doing those activities, such as turning your head, that make you dizzy. It will get better.

Take care
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

tonyc

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:35:21 am »
Everyone's case is different. My balance before surgery was good. After the middle fossa surgery with my 1.3cm AN, I had balance issues with a dizzy head.  My head couldn't turn and I could easily get tired in the first week.  But week after week, things got better after I kept walking and sleeping if I were tired. I never overdid since my ENT doctor warned that I had to be careful to avoid CSF leaking for the first month after the surgery. At the 8th week, I went back to work and could run slowly. At the 9th week, I could bent my head and do normal things like before.  I still have dizziness in some degree when I go to a new place. But things went  very good.
08/2010, first vertigo episode and tinnitus, 9mm AN found in left ear. Wait and Watch.
01/2016,  AN increased to 13mm.
03/2016, Middle Fossa at House with Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz/Stefan. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing preserved.
09/2021, MRI showed no regrowth.

JLR

11 months post op retro sig
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 03:44:34 pm »
Hi all, it's been 11 months since my surgery. It's now sept 1 and I feel lousy. My balance which had improved tremendously is kind of shakey. My facial paralysis which had improved is now pulling tightly to the right. My eye which improved now burns a bit. I'm very frustrated. Next Tuesday I have my follow up MRI which I'm hoping all is stable. A 5% piece was left on the facial nerve. Maybe I can attribute this feeling to a regeneration of nerves. Wishful thinking.  Anyone experience this on their nearly year anniversary. Would appreciate feedback.  Stay well all, Joan

Greece Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:47:02 am »
MRI obviously will tell more, but I would say I did have changing symptoms throughout the first year, both with balance and face stuff.  Those things can be impacted by other things as well. I find my balance is really dependent on getting enough sleep, for instance.  Good luck!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.