Author Topic: Woke up with worst headache a month ago...9 years post op trans lab  (Read 4433 times)

crazyjster1

I suffer from vestibular migraines and I know what triggers them, but on April 10, 2016, I woke up with the worst headache of my life. I thought it might have been a really bad migraine, and took my usual stuff with no relief. After a week I was in the ER, getting a headache cocktail and a CT scan (confused why no MRI) and sent home with better pain meds and prednisone and told to follow up with a neurologist ASAP. I read the CT scan myself, and it said I had a congenital cyst. I had never had one before so obviously there was nothing congenital.  Since it was only a CT scan, I called the House Ear Institute and spoke with a doctor on staff who confirmed there was no cyst, and followed up with the neurologist a couple of days after getting out of the ER. and the neurologist handed me some migraine pills and when I questioned the  findings and failed the balance test, said "fine, I will order an MRI." Later that day, Dr. House (who did my surgery) called to see how my appointment went and I was in tears, and he sent me an MRI order and said he agreed that this was no migraine, but he also felt it was not another acoustic neuroma. I also agreed. He wanted me to be seen at UCLA neurology. I ended up in the UCLA ER, and they did MRI, and MRA and told me to see a neurologist ASAP, and after 8 hours said they were going to let me go home.  They never gave me a diagnosis, and said to just take pain meds until I saw a neurologist.  I figured I would see one that week. ASAP meant June 23. I ended up getting an appointment at Cedars for May 23, and thought maybe I injured something in the base of my skull, or neck since that is where the pain is as well. So I made an appointment with an orthopedic and got an appointment today (next day...amazing!). I am wondering if there is any injury or something that over time could cause sudden onset of a severe headache radiating from the base of your skull. My vision and balance are completely messed up and I have severe nausea and dizziness. I basically have to hold my head up. My bloodwork seems to be fine, so there is no infection. I was running and doing 8 hours of dance prior to waking up with this headache, although I was tired a couple of days leading up to it. I had been working very hard regaining my balance in the past 6 months. After my surgery, I could not walk, and did 2 years of vestibular therapy, had 6 surgeries for falls, plus multiple broken bones. To get myself in the condition where I was running up to 5 miles a day and doing 8 hours of ballet a week was a huge accomplishment.  So when I failed basic balance tests, it killed me. Not to mention having a screaming headache, loosing my ability to drive (I have 3 kids), and being basically confined to bed, is making things very difficult. I want to know what possibly could be wrong.  Thanks!

tonyc

My Prayer goes to you! Hope your doctor and you find the root cause of the headache and get back to normal again.
08/2010, first vertigo episode and tinnitus, 9mm AN found in left ear. Wait and Watch.
01/2016,  AN increased to 13mm.
03/2016, Middle Fossa at House with Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz/Stefan. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing preserved.
09/2021, MRI showed no regrowth.

bbrian77

All the best crazyjster1, Stay strong.