Author Topic: Who has regain good balance after surgery to remove AN?  (Read 31636 times)

midee

Re: Who has regain good balance after surgery to remove AN?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 03:42:00 pm »
I just had retrosigmoid surgery 12 days ago, Feb. 2 at University Hosp. in Cleveland. I was in watch and wait for abut 5 years and then this past year my tumor more than doubled in size which required GK or surgery. I am 67 years old and elected to have the surgery. These past 5 years prior to my surgery, I did Zumba faithfully until about 1 year ago. I could no longer do the up and down movements or the turning around. I then joined Silver Sneakers (exercise programs for seniors) and began that once a week. Those classes do a lot of balance exercises.
My balance right now is amazing considering surgery. I started my PT on Monday, and the therapist said my balance is above normal for my age and found it hard to believe my vestibular nerve was cut. I feel great and have a few weeks of vestibular therapy to continue. I believe that all my exercising up to my surgery date has helped tremendously. I had my first Dr. appt. yesterday and he advised that my vestibular nerve had long been destroyed these past several years due to the tumor and our brain adjusts and compensates for the damaged nerve.

My surgery went very well, no complications so far and facial nerve in tact. My hearing was already gone before the surgery and I will not get it back. I still have a lot of tinnitus but learning to live with it. I think all my minor balance issues will be gone soon.  I hope this can help someone who is still in watch and wait.
Left Retrosigmoid 2.0CM removal Feb. 2018 at University Hospital Cleveland, Ohio
Total SSD
Feb. 2019 MRI shows no growth.

Dnonnie

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 10:09:37 pm »
I am 5 weeks post operative ! I had a 2.2 right vestibular rumor removed by translabrynth approach . I am still walking with assistance of a cane . I feel very comfortable In the house with unassisted ambulatingbut am wobbly .  This is getting better. Turning my head is really hard,  Much dizziness. I have a lot of wobbly walking. I don’t feel comfortable in public walking alone . I am a nurse and will not be returning to work for awhile. I must say I have had minimal pain, not needing anything stronger than Tylenol for discomfort. I do have the metallic taste in my mouth and the dry mouth issue. Other wise I am trying to be patient, walk and rest . Fatigue is  real and I must take breaks. Just wanted to post to give everyone an idea of my recovery . Thank you all for sharing

JD808

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 11:18:53 pm »
I had Translab on 7/18/18. My tumor was in the IAC which I understand can cause more balance issues pre-surgery. My balance had deteriorated badly before the surgery. Upon opening my eyes post surgery, I was prepared for the world to be spinning. It wasn’t. I was up and walking around just fine the day after surgery. I still do my vestibular exercise as I still have issues at night, but I have found my balance to be much better than before the surgery. My research indicated that if you had great balance pre AN and the AN messed it up pretty badly, you had a good chance of being better off post surgery. In my case, that certainly proved to be true.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

Abetpds

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 12:06:02 pm »
I had translab at UCSD on June 26th and my balance is almost back to normal.  Can drive, walk 4 miles, put on shoes and clothes and do all house hold chores.  Only thing I still fumble with are those ridiculous PT exercises like walking backwards with eyes closed,walking sideways while crossing your legs and shaking your head L-R while walking;standing on a foam cushion and doing different exercises without losing it, Exercises that you normally would not do in normal life.  I still continue doing them tho.  But all in all, My PT was very impressed at all that I could do. My greatest success was that I never was dizzy, other than the first day after surgery. I can only attribute that to the wonderful job that Schwartz and Friedman did in removing that tumor.
Now if only my Baha infection would go away, I'll just have to deal with the occasional headaches.
Regina

jami

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 04:20:09 pm »
New member here.

Had my surgery on 8/12, removal of hearing and vestibular nerves on the right side.

I fall a lot, and have for years. I am the gal in the yoga class that falls for any balance move, no matter how hard she tries. It turns out that, over time, my balance nerves on the right hand side have been swamped by this schwannoma. The balance nerves on the left hand side have been compensating over the past few years.

At the time of surgery, my surgeon shared that the balance outcome was not completely known, it all depended on how damaged the vestibular nerve was.

At 2 weeks past surgery: the outcome is very positive. My balance is already close to what it was 6 months ago....until eyes are closed. Today was the first PT appointment and i realized a lot to do in front of me. I will also stand on the cushion that someone mentioned previousl.

How I prepared: I was aware this was a big risk, and spent time over the past few months getting physically ready for the surgery. I have been doing yoga daily, with a breath and balance focus. Walking 5 miles a day, minimum. My balance was better than it had been in years, but it took an investment of time, every day, to get here.
Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm

notaclone13

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 07:07:20 pm »
Welcome Jami. Sounds like you are doing very well for being only a couple of weeks post surgery.  It's good to hear your balance is still fairly good, albeit perhaps a little bit weaker than before. I am sure it will be back to pre-surgical level in no time at all or perhaps even better than before.  Please continue to post and let us know how your are doing. If you don't mind, could you relate how large your AN was and where you had your surgery?  It is always interesting to hear the details, particularly when the outcome has been good.

M.A.

jami

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 04:47:27 pm »
Hi,

A follow up with a few details on my surgery (thanks for asking, notaclone13)

My AN, 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1 cm, removed 8/12 at UNC Hospital Chapel Hill, NC. (Happens to be near where I live, making it much easier). Dr Ewend (Neurosurgeon) and Dr O’Connell (ENT Surgeon) used the tanslab approach. I did lost auditory and balance nerves on right side. They got ~98% of tumor after 10.5 hours of surgery.

Overall, this forum and the association have been incredibly helpful as I prepared for this and are already a big part of my healing process. I am being patient as I go, we all have good days and bad days, right?

Thanks all for the great support.

Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm

reg

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 10:52:29 am »
I haven't posted in a bit but I am thirteen years post op for a removal of 2.5 tumor, when they say (its the new normal) believe it I been  dealing with this  unsteadiness for years thinking its gonna get better been through vestibular rehab, walk four to five days per week, and a host of meds, I say that to say this, that everybody is different they heal differently, different meds work for different folk just keep on living and thank GOD for another day.
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

mthorn82

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2019, 06:34:06 pm »
I had mine removed at 18 around 2001 and I'm 37 now with good balance. There will be times when you will know your not 100% the same person you were before but you could still go out most likely and play baseball, golf, basketball etc after you recovery just stay away from football hockey etc.. you don't want to be getting hit hard all the time a little rough hit from the catcher at home plate on a slide might be ok here and there over the years or a dive for the ball in outfield but long term be safe that's all.