Author Topic: Corticosteroids for treating hearing loss?  (Read 7211 times)

beverlyharris

Corticosteroids for treating hearing loss?
« on: April 09, 2016, 06:32:24 pm »
My wife (who has an acoustic neuroma) recently pointed me to new research showing that tumor necrosis factor (TNF) alpha, secreted due to the presence of an acoustic neuroma, is closely and positively correlated with loss of hearing.  In other words, while the growth of a tumor and resulting pressure on the auditory nerve may affect hearing, it is apparently well known that the facts don't bear this out:  many people with small ANs are deaf in one ear, and many people with large ANs hear just fine.  The authors show that it is the TNF that is causing the most dramatic loss of hearing.  (In other words, the body's own immune response). 

In that article, the researchers mention an apparently well-known fact that bevacizumab, a monoclonal antibody used for decreasing tumor size in NF2 patients, also works to improve hearing in NF2 patients, while corticosteroids have been used to improve hearing in non-NF2 patients (those with the more common acoustic neuromas) with "sudden" hearing loss for reasons that were, up to now, unknown. 

The authors go on to describe their research that shows WHY bevacizumab and corticosteroids, would work to improve hearing in patients with ANs who were experiencing "sudden" hearing loss.  It is apparently because they are working against the TNF.  (TNF is inflammatory, and corticosteroids are anti-inflammatory).

My question is, has anyone else heard about corticosteroids being used to improve hearing in both AN patients?  It was never mentioned to us as even a vague possibility by any doctor, and we have not seen it mentioned anywhere else. 

Here is the article:
http://www.nature.com/articles/srep18599#f2

-Cristi

ANGuy

Re: Corticosteroids for treating hearing loss?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 08:16:36 pm »
I don't know how it relates to the study you posted, but my Dr told me to let him know of any changes in my symptoms so he could put me on a course of "steroids".  I don't know much about steroids other than the generic term "steroid", so they may or may not be the ones referenced in your study.  I am watch and wait, so my tumor is still there.  I have not had any changes in symptoms since being diagnosed, so I have not taken any steroids for my AN.

Also, many here have been treated with "steroids" to improve hearing and other AN symptoms, so the idea of using steroids for this condition is fairly common. 
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

GaryWNT

• Ready for 1st MRI post CK . . .
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 08:29:50 pm »
Prior to being diagnosed with my AN I suffered almost total hearing loss in my AN ear. I was treated with steroids (IV drip for 6 days in a row) and my hearing improved back to about 80%. I had CK in November and have not noticed any further deterioration in my hearing. Not sure if this is at all relevant to the study you cited . . . just sharing my experience.
Gary
Sudden hearing loss in left ear 02/15
MRI 07/15 showed 2.5cm AN
CK at Stanford (3 days) 11/16
No change in symptoms (Mild tinnitus, mild balance issues, moderate hearing loss)
1st follow up MRI coming 04/16
some evidence of central necrosis on the treated left acoustic neuroma 05/10/2016

beverlyharris

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 08:28:18 pm »
Thank you for your replies.  That's very helpful. 

Now, can anyone tell me--because we only have the one hearing doctor here in this town--anything more about steroid treatment for hearing loss due to an acoustic neuroma?  Gary, you said you had an IV drip for 6 days in a row.   What type of steroid was used?  What dosage? 

Finally, can anyone point me to a doctor or clinic or paper or whatever?

I need to be able to give the doctor, who obviously doesn't know anything about this, authoritative guidance.

Thank you,
Cristi
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:57:40 pm by beverlyharris »

Bee123

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:01:46 pm »
Intially when i lost hearing suddenly my doctor put me on 7 days of steroids suspecting lybrithitis . I had ENT appt following week , my hearing test showed lost of 3 frequencies. ENT recommended steroid shot in my ear and folow up next week. Next week's hearing test showed that i am missing only one frequency after one shot of steroid. I had 3 shots of steroids ,oneper week and my hearing was good again . I still have tinnitus in my left ear.
Sudden Hearing loss in left ear in 2/8/16
MRI Contrast :3/9/16
AN diagnosed : 3/14/16
Right now 11m*5mm*6mm
Mri 2017- no growth
Mri 2018--14*10*10
Mri 6 months 2019 18*14*11
Retrosigmoid At UCSD by Dr Rick Friedman & Dr Marc Schwartz .
Facial nerv saved , some hearing saved

ANGuy

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:32:42 pm »
Thank you for your replies.  That's very helpful. 

Now, can anyone tell me--because we only have the one hearing doctor here in this town--anything more about steroid treatment for hearing loss due to an acoustic neuroma?  Gary, you said you had an IV drip for 6 days in a row.   What type of steroid was used?  What dosage? 

Finally, can anyone point me to a doctor or clinic or paper or whatever?

I need to be able to give the doctor, who obviously doesn't know anything about this, authoritative guidance.

Thank you,
Cristi

I think you need to find a different ENT.  Where are you located, in general terms?
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

GaryWNT

• Ready for 1st MRI post CK . . .
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:51:29 pm »
Cristi,
I just checked my medical records. Each day I received 80mg Solu-medrol (Methylprednisolone) and 60ml Nootropyl. I know that Nootropyl is not an FDA approved drug, but my treatments for the sudden hearing loss were done in Saigon, Vietnam. That was followed up with 16mg Medrol tablets and 800mg Nootropyl tablets that I took for some time afterwards to wean off the steroids. The treatment worked wonders for me!
Hope this info helps.
Gary

Methylprednisolone is a synthetic glucocorticoid or corticosteroid drug. It is marketed in the USA and Canada under the brand names Medrol and Solu-Medrol. It is also available as a generic drug. Wikipedia
Brand names: Medrol, Solu-Medrol, A-Methapred, Hybrisil, Depo-Medrol
CAS ID: 83-43-2
Molar mass: 374.471 g/mol
Pregnancy risk: Category C (Risk cannot be ruled out)
Legal status: Prescription drug
Drug class: Corticosteroid
Other drugs in same class: Prednisolone, Dexamethasone

Nootropyl

Nootropyl! Piracetam increases the speed of recovery after the stock hypoxia by increasing the speed of rotation of the inorganic phosphate and by reducing the accumulation of glucose and acid lactique.
Sudden hearing loss in left ear 02/15
MRI 07/15 showed 2.5cm AN
CK at Stanford (3 days) 11/16
No change in symptoms (Mild tinnitus, mild balance issues, moderate hearing loss)
1st follow up MRI coming 04/16
some evidence of central necrosis on the treated left acoustic neuroma 05/10/2016

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 11:11:59 pm »
I was under the impression that steroids should be taken in the first 7-to-10 days immediately after sudden hearing loss in order for steroids to be most effective. The earlier the better.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

Bee123

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 06:22:32 am »
Yes earlier the better, Doctor started my 80 mg prednisone with 4 days of ear fullness and hearing problems.
Sudden Hearing loss in left ear in 2/8/16
MRI Contrast :3/9/16
AN diagnosed : 3/14/16
Right now 11m*5mm*6mm
Mri 2017- no growth
Mri 2018--14*10*10
Mri 6 months 2019 18*14*11
Retrosigmoid At UCSD by Dr Rick Friedman & Dr Marc Schwartz .
Facial nerv saved , some hearing saved