Author Topic: venting  (Read 13819 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
Re: venting
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 04:17:50 pm »
I'm so sorry Michelle,
  Too bad you didn't come to Florida in a rubber raft, if you get my drift. You'd be getting government help for sure. It angers me so to see people really in need be denied, yet so many that don't need it taking advantage of the system. I'm sure you must be about to blow your top. I can't imagine the denial when your employer let you go because you can't do the job of teaching. How can they say you CAN teach when your employer says you can't. WOW how frustrating.  Keep fighting it. As tiring as it is. My step dad fought for 2 years before he finally got approved for disability. He was denied over and over, but kept fighting. i think in the end they realize your not going to go away so they finally approve your. Just keep fighting.
Sending big hugs and a smile your way,  watch your mailbox!

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Chris

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 03:28:09 am »
Hi Batty,
What do you teach? Can you set up a website and teach over the net for extra income?
2.5cm AN diagnosed late 2005 and treated with fractionated stereotactic radiation in Sydney Australia Oct 2005

Battyp

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 07:39:45 pm »
My company only lets you teach over the net 10 hours a week and you have to be able to talk as they use headsets to talk to the students.  Even most online colleges require you to have a headset to communicate with. 

I'm wondering since SSD said I can teach but my neuropsychologist says i'm a risk since I have problems controlling my outburst and impulses since the surgery what would happen if I did go back to teaching, lost control and smacked a kid..could the parents then sue the goverment? 

The whole system doesn't make sense..it's not like it's saving them any money by denying me seeing how as long as I keep playing the game the money is retroactive from when I applied.  I'm sure there are those who give up and walk away out of frustration.  I'd probably be one of them but know me well enough to know I'm not ok to work especially as a teacher.  Geesh if I talk too much I throw up..not a  very becoming employee trait now is it?  LOL

Chris

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 03:55:00 am »
Hi Batty
I am sure you will think of something. As a teacher you must have heaps of patience. I couldn't handle the little treasures regardless of how I was feeling  ;D
Why do you have to work for an agency? Can you think of anything else you could teach that doesn't require a lot of speaking? You may have to do some extra training of course. Maybe there is something else you have always wanted to try but didn't want to change your routine?
Don't give up.
Regards
Chris
2.5cm AN diagnosed late 2005 and treated with fractionated stereotactic radiation in Sydney Australia Oct 2005

tony

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 05:16:23 am »
I do appologise, I hadent realised you have a swallowing issue as well
I see the swallowing/throwing up issue could be an obstacle to work
for you (or anyone)
Can I make a suggestion ? - try reading a book out loud
when you have a glass of water to hand
If you take a regular sip - does it take away the sensation ?
Let us know how you get on
Best Regards
Tony

Battyp

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2006, 07:34:41 am »
Unfortunately I don't have a masters degree.  Figured there would be time to get one later only later was an An instead  :(  I'm trying to go back to get my masters in accounting through vr it's just a slow slow process.  In the meantime I have to keep the roof over my head, food on the table (can't figure out why my son wants to eat everyday LOL) and the bills paid.  That and the stress of no health insurance right now is staggering and then to keep being denied help from the state is overwhelming.  They stated in their letter they could see no reason why I couldnt' teach in the same capacity I did.  ER UM DID YOU MISS THE PART WHERE I THROW UP? 

Tony I keep water with me at all times...if I say more than a few sentences at a time I start choking (coughing) and can't get stopped.  Sometimes it takes me a bit to get swallowed and ready to answer someone and if they don't have the patience then it makes my situation worse with trying to hurry.  Feels like there is something stuck in my throat and when I get tired it feels like my tongue is swelling (I've looked and it appears normal in the mirror  lol)  I was told it was trigeminal nerve damage from the tumor sitting on the nerve and it will either come back slowly on it's own or never it's still too early to tell.  Of course I've had two opinions that told me since it wasn't back after 9 mos it's not coming back so who knows.  It's all just so frustrating! 

Chris I no longer have much patience which is why they don't want me back in the classroom with the little buggers.  I tire too easy and have no impulse control which has been throughly stated by a neuropsychologist and a social worker but SS insists I'm ok to teach.  Yeah right! 

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2006, 08:08:20 am »
This really kills me - people like you who deserve SSI, have worked all your life, & being denied!  I work in a psych hospital, & I can't tell you how much misuse of SSI there is - I'd love to blow the whistle on these people misusing the system, but 'confidentiality' and all - it's BS.   
One guy was getting disability for an 'arm injury' 10 years ago (we all said what injury??)  then the dr. says, 'if there was a 50 lb. bag of cocaine on the floor he'd of picked it up with that arm no problem!!' (detox pt.)   Jeez louise, just not fair at all.

Add-on:  just a thought - teaching children who are hospitalized?   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 08:29:42 am by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

tony

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2006, 09:33:40 am »
I have some info from the NF2 crew re speach and swallowing issues,
exercises, and other possible remedies
(its actually slightly  more common with that condition)
If you want I will mail direct - I appologise now - its rather alot - please ask
if you want it.
Best Regards
Tony

Battyp

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2006, 10:48:31 am »
I know people who are getting it because they "claim" they can't work and they work construction under the table..they also are getting their rent paid, their meds have a room mate paying the utilities so they are living quite well.  Me I just balanced my checkbook and am more freaked out than ever  LOL

I keep saying this too shall pass...so far it's not working  LOL

tony

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2006, 12:57:22 pm »
Darn, lost your address - incredibly there is still one more to come
Best regards
Tony

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2006, 04:15:27 pm »
Battyprincess:

FYI: Based on my wife's experience - the only one I can speak of with any authority - once you are finally approved for and receiving Social Security Disability benefits, you will not be allowed to earn much 'extra' money without being penalized by a deduction from your SS check.  That being the case, the rules tend to inhibit going back to work in any serious capacity while usually not providing quite enough money for you to live on, comfortably, especially if you're a single mom.  Sad but true.  Meanwhile , the fakers and frauds seem to receive SS disabilty benefits easily and fritter the money away on drugs, booze and assorted garbage.  It's a broken system.

Fortunately, when my wife finally started receiving Social Security benefits, some 11 months after she initally applied, she also was approved for the 'long-term' disability benefits she had signed up and paid premiums for through her employer, a major insurance company.  Her employer had insisted that she apply for SS benefits because it was an 'entitlement'.  Although her employer subtracts the amount of her SS benefit check from the total she is qualified to receive from them (70% of her last salary), between the two income sources (Social Security and her employers disability insurance) she receives 70% of her former salary and is considered an employee (inactive, naturally) so we still qualify for a very good medical/dental insurance plan as well as discounted life, home and auto insurance policies.   It's not perfect but I can't complain.

You may need to look into all your options regarding generating income.  There are social service agencies that will direct you to places that may (or may not) be able to help you apply for state aid or other assistance to help you make ends meet.  It's often a long and somewhat discouraging process for anyone who has never had to ask for help, but in a financial crisis and with a child to consider, you may have to go that route. 

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best - you deserve it.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2006, 08:42:18 pm »
Thanks Jim,
  I'm trying to go back to school to get a masters in accounting which is something I think I can do from home or with little speech involved.  I just need a year of help to work my way off the system.  VR has agreed to pay for my schooling.  I am getting LTD benefits at 60% of my pay and of course they have said the will pay until next november then I'm done.  They also said I had to try for ssd and they'd supplement the difference since ssd is lower..not sure how long they'll do it but I"m still running short every month.  It's just all so frustrating!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 06:54:36 pm »
BP, What did your atty say about all this? Mine said, after I got denied the second time, that just about every one ends up getting denied 2x and has to get a court hearing. I'm still waiting for one after 18 months after my second denial. The money I'll be getting wouldn't support me at all, fortunately I have a partner who works and no kids.  Better to go for VR and try to get a different kind of work than try to live off SSD, but it would be good to get that retro-active check, so keep persevering! I also heard of someone writing their own multi-page "story" in conjunction with all the paperwork crap.
Good Luck,
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 08:10:49 pm »
Batty,

wish i could do something from here. The only thing that I can suggest is that go and see the people that denied your claim and start reading from the book. make sure that their desk is in front of you and, this sounds awful, but then throw up on their desk.

maybe they will see that you have an issue or two.

I thought i saw something like that in a movie.

You could do that in court in front of the judge. maybe they need to see it first hand before they realise it.

Insurance and social security is the same world wide. They don't pay until you are exhausted trying to get paid.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Battyp

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2006, 05:54:06 am »
I filed my appeal and after the paperwork was done the paralegal began explaining the procedure.  It will take a year to get a hearing with the judge.  GEESH.