Author Topic: venting  (Read 13814 times)

Battyp

venting
« on: October 26, 2006, 05:25:58 pm »
You know just when I thought things might pick up we're sliding back down hill!  Last weds the appeals guy for ssd finally got my records...faxed him my doctor reports, filled out the 8 page questionaire, sent it all back in and in less than a week later I get the letter I'm DENIED yet again.  He actually states in his letter that ssd hearing, numbness in my face, balance issues are not enough to keep me from teaching.  Didn't mention the gagging until I throw up problem when I talk too much, geesh.  The system is so frustrating!  I feel like the let kick the dog when it's down syndrome!

matti

Re: venting
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 06:33:14 pm »
I'm sorry Michelle :(   

Will the ENT that you saw last week be of any help?

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 08:03:10 pm »
he documented that I could not at this time work due to a permanent speech problem which caused choking.  All the doctors documented independently of each other, they all said the same thing even the lady who tested me from VR said that at best with training I could work 2 to 3 hours a day every other day...not enough to support a family on unless I'm getting doctor or lawyer wages. 

Dfcman

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:36:59 pm »
Michelle,

I'm sorry about your being denied.  I havent been exactly up to date on "your story".  Were you denied access to go back to work?
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 12:01:23 am »
I was told I could no longer teach due to not being able to handle stress, being highly irrational, and having a speech problem.  I was tested through vr and the tester determined that the best I could do would be to work every other day a few hours given my problems since surgery.  I have had 4 medical doctors one neuropsychologist, one social worker all document their findings.  Social security has denied my appeal and the letter stated that the records provided indicate that I can go back to teaching without any difficulties or problems.  When I talk too much my throat gets irritated and I start coughing and in turn start choking until I start gagging and throw up.  Lovely trait for a teacher to have wouldn't you say?  LOL  I am stressed tonight and decided I'm going to call the idiot who made this determination and ask him very every so sweetly where I can find a job that requires little to no talking, has no stress, and requires no balance since I have little left I want to make sure to get my application in for consideration!  Also, my eduation is thus that I can teach.  It's not like you just wake up one day after teaching for 10 plus years and go..you know I think I'll become an accountant today and step right into it.  Just been a rough couple weeks.  I was told tuesday I made too much money on my disability (60% of my pay) that I can't qualify for state insurance help for my son.  I was 189.00 a month more than poverty level over so in order to get him insurance I need to give them 120.00 a month.  Doesn't matter if I have any money left over to pay the mortgage or provide food for him.  Govt at work at it's finest! 

tony

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:16 am »
Sorry to hear of your troubles
I am sure I read a month or so back that others on this list were denied
2-3 times before it was all sorted
maybe re-post under disability advice ? or similar
is there such thing as a disability lawyer ?
(20% of the worlds lawyers are stateside - there must be one)
best regards
tony

tony

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 01:07:36 am »
Sorry just saw it - check out the thread "Social security disability"
some of the first 1-4 entries are very interesting
best regards
tony

Dfcman

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 01:09:40 am »
I don't understand how gov't policies work.  At least not very well.  There has to be something you can do.  Thats strange that on one hand you are told you can work, but you can't.  I'm sorry, i'm only 22 and I don't understand many of your problems, with insurance for family and such.   There has to be something you can do though.  Maybe someone else on this forum has similar experiences and can help tell you what to do.  All I can tell you is keep fighting this.  Maybe SSI needs more proof that you are temporarily unable to work, and they can grant you more money at least temporarily. 

I'm sorry i'm not much help, but I feel for you.

I hope something works out for you.

Chris
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 06:31:33 am »
Michelle,
Request a hearing where they have to see you.  Do you have an attorney?  If not get one ASAP.  I have been turned down twice and now I am waiting for my hearing.  I figure if they can see me and hear me it puts a face on the records and it is harder to turn down a face than pages.  If I can turned down at the hearing I will appeal.  The process takes way too long and they are not consistant in their findings.  I'm keeping you in my prayers.
Hugs,
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Battyp

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 08:45:57 am »
I  have an attn and am filing my appeal to go before the judge on monday.  So the wait continues.  In the mean time things are still a struggle.

Tony I've seen and participated in that thread.  I've done all I know to do. I can even show you in their literature where and how I qualify and show doctor documentation that I do.  I think that is the frustrating part I think the employees are just trained to stamp NO on anything they get. 

Dealy

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 09:06:43 am »
I live in a different State than you but let me tell you something about State Government and VR in particular. Back in the later part of the 80"s I got a Masters in Counseling and did an Internship at our local VR office. Most people in your case cannot afford a Lawyer and the State knows this. So when I was working with The VR counselor-every case was turned down no matter the disability. The case was speeded up if the client had a lawyer. So it was catch 22. I do not know what State you live in but it sounds like they may be using the same tactics. I can give you some advice though-do not call the person and tell them off because you will put them in a position to defend their case against you. This I have seen myself from my experience working with the State and VR.DO NOT take NO for an answer and exhaust all appeals. They want to wear you down so they will not have to put you on the public payroll. I know it can be frustrating. My first AN I had we lost our house-my job-my wife's father had a massive heart attack and died-no money-so I aplied for Unemployment and got it. Then after I had exhuasted my money the State called me and wanted their money back and continued to harassess me. This was back in the later 1980's. Finally I went to see a lawyer and they backed off. I feel so sorry for you. Do not lose your cool-keep on appealing. They will finally give in but not without a fight.

flier58

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 11:45:12 am »
Hi Battyprincess,
Just wanted to say that my heart and thoughts are with you.  It is very difficult to deal with the AN alone and adding any more to it is frightening especially for single parent. I wish I could do something to help.

Flier58

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 12:57:56 pm »
Michelle. Do what everyone else does in these situations: get a lawyer!
Do it and you'll have your SSD within weeks! That bull they're slinging at you is customary. Don't let them get to you.
I know of grown, able-bodied men that are getting SSD and hardly deserve to get it. One of them is an alcoholic that's been in rehab one too many times and the other guy claims to be a bi-polar nutcase but is more just a total jerk to put it mildly. Then there's a guy I know that had a spinal fusion procedure that's on it. I know of two other people that have have the same procedure done that are still working without any problems.....
It can be a tough call.

In your case though, from what I know about you, there's no reason why you should be denied having it. The lawyers take a chunck of the first retro installment.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 09:40:15 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Battyp

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 03:51:57 pm »
I have an attn got one after my first denial. 
The sad thing is I know people getting help that are drug addicts and alcoholics...I didn't chose this path but at the rate things are going I just might have to start drinking  LOL At least it won't cost much for me to stay drunk one sip of wine and I get sleepy, 2 I get silly and 3 i'm out  LOL

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 04:05:12 pm »
Batty:

I can understand your frustration.  We once knew a young man of 18 who was immediately approved for SS disability on the basis of depression.  He had never worked a day in his life and lived with his (divorced) father.  He received almost $600. per month.   

My wife had an experience siimilar to yours with obtaining approval for Social Security Disability benefits - after working for 30 years.  Denied initally, denied again and then she hired an attorney who 'specialized' in SS disability cases.  When she went before the judge, with complete documentation of her medical handicaps; numerous spinal problems - and surgeries - due to an auto accident in '92 - (she was rear-ended) the judge approved her claim and she was finally granted Social Security Disability benefits.   She still has to submit physician verification forms annually and every 5 years or so SS requires her to submit to an examination by a doctor of their choosing.  The SS-approved physicians never give her much trouble once they read her medical history and examine her but the fact that she is treated as a potential fraud by the Social Security administration is annoying, considering the pain she has to endure on an almost daily basis and that she worked for 3 decades before applying for these benefits.   What a system!

Hang in there.  You'll get your SS disability approval, likely from the judge.

Jim
[/color]
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.