Author Topic: Dr. Backous - Swedish Hospital, Center for Hearing and Skull Base Surgery  (Read 3324 times)

Lhegg

My Dad was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, 2.6 x 2.9 cm, in December, 2015.  My Dad's general practitioner referred us to Virginia Mason, Seattle WA.  The earliest they could schedule his consultation was 4 weeks.  We finally had a consultation at Virginia Mason, and he was scheduled for surgery in 6 weeks.  We requested an earlier date, however, they were not able to accommodate this because of scheduling issues. At this point, my Dad needed a cane to walk.

Unfortunately, my Dad's health started decreasing at an alarming rate.  The AN was pressing against his Cerebellum, causing him to lose the use of his legs.

We were referred to Dr. Backous, Swedish Hospital, by an acquaintance.  Once I contacted their office, they had my Dad scheduled for a consultation within a week.  We immediately were impressed by Dr. Backous, and his staff.  He took the time necessary to explain the surgery, and possible complications.  Dr. Backous recognized that my Dad needed surgery immediately, and rearranged his schedule.  My Dad's surgery was a week later. 

After a 5 hour surgery, Dr.  Backous and his team, successfully removed the entire tumor.  Dr. Backous spoke with us after the surgery, and gave my mom a hug.  He is an amazing doctor that truly cares for his patients.  And, thankfully, there was no damage to my Dad's facial nerve, or any other complications.

If you are living in Washington State, and have been diagnosed with an Acoustic Neuroma, please do not hesitate to schedule a consultation with Dr. Backous at Swedish Hospital. 

v357139

Excellent post and congratulations.  This forum always needs a great story, and good to know where the best outcomes are happening.  May help others in your area.  All the best.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!