Author Topic: Vestibular Testing  (Read 5747 times)

jbbrown15

Vestibular Testing
« on: April 01, 2016, 01:23:36 pm »
Hi.  It's been a long while.  I have a 2.9 cm tumor that was radiated in 2010.  The tumor is dead, but I've had issues with increased intracranial pressure ever since.  It was a slow recovery, but I got back to a specialized legal career (tax lawyer).

Beginning in mid-January vertigo has come back and debilitated me.  I've been out of work for 2 weeks.

I've seen several doctors and had vestibular testing done.  There was almost no response to the ice water caloric test, so the doctor said that my vestibular nerve is essentially dead.  The best theory for why I'm having trouble now is that the nerve damage is a late effect of radiation.

I'd love to hear from people who have had the caloric testing show little to no function, and how they have done short and long term.

Thanks!

JB
Jean
2.9 cm AN on left side diagnosed 9/9/2010
Finished 26 sessions of fractionated stereotactic radiation on 11/22/2010
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure since summer of 2010. Trying to determine if related to AN.  Some good doctors say yes, some good doctors say no.

ANGuy

Re: Vestibular Testing
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 05:03:22 pm »
I took a battery of vestibular tests, all with acronyms I don't remember anymore, but are commonly used.  I had warm and cold water flushed through my ears as you did.  I have a 1cm tumor and have not had any treatment.

My overall testing showed my vestibular function to be "about 50%" in the words of my Dr at that time, about 18 months ago.

That is my background just to give you some idea in the differences in our circumstances.  My vestibular symptoms have been sudden, terrible attacks that subside with drug intervention (benzodiazpines, antihystmeines).  I have had probably a half dozen of these attacks that lasted a day or two over about a ten year period.  I haven't had one in a couple of years and my Dr figures I won't get anymore since my vestibular function is so far gone there isn't enough signal left to make me sick.

Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

UpstateNY

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 08:23:40 am »
There are two vestibular nerve branches in each ear, the superior vestibular nerve and the inferior vestibular nerve.  According to my physician, the caloric test can be used to test the superior vestibular nerve and the VEMP can be used to test the inferior vestibular nerve.

The facilities local to me only offered the caloric test, that I had taken to help determine which vestibular nerve my tumor was growing from.  The location was not completely evident from the MRI.  If the AN was growing from the inferior vestibular nerve, it was believed there would be less chance of facial nerve damage (since I took the microsurgical approach) being that the tumor would be located further away from the facial nerve and easier to remove.  My caloric test showed an 18.7% unilateral weakness in my AN ear.  Typically, a weakness < 30% is more consistent with inferior nerve involvement.  This means if I had taken the VEMP test, I would have expected to see a much more significant weakness in the inferior nerve of my AN ear.  At that time, I did have some lightheadedness when walking or running.

After removal of the AN, it was confirmed by the surgeon that the tumor was growing from the inferior vestibular nerve.  This was consistent with the caloric test results.  When I woke up after surgery I had no nausea or dizziness, my balance was no worse than prior to surgery, and the lightheadedness when moving quickly improved in a couple of days.  This lack of dizziness post surgery would seem to indicate that my inferior vestibular nerve had near 100% weakness prior to surgery.  I am now just 6 weeks past surgery (transcochlear, so they cut both vestibular nerves on the AN side) and I would say my balance is very close to normal with everyday activities. 

It sounds like the VEMP test may provide you with more information, so may be worth discussing with your physician.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:28:57 am by UpstateNY »
Apr 2015: Diagnosed with 8mm AN at age 49
Oct 2015: MRI showed growth to 12mm
Feb 2016: Completely removed via Transcochlear approach at House Clinic; no facial/eye issues, balance improved
Aug 2016: MRI shows no regrowth/residual tumor

My story:  http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22581.0

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 08:31:48 am »
What about the ABR test?
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

ANGuy

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 10:33:46 am »
Interesting info Upstate.  I didn't pay too much attention to details, just the general "50%" from the Dr at the time.  I did have the rotating chair test (VEMP?) and an ABR and maybe a couple of others.  I did have a new type of ABR that they were doing some research on along with the standard one.  I'll ask about the superior/inferior issue when I go back in Jan 17.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.