Author Topic: 12/7 graft - 7 month progress update  (Read 4733 times)

marcdi

12/7 graft - 7 month progress update
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:59:58 pm »
Hi there

7 months post the 12/7 nerve op and i'm seeing movement for the first time - I push my tongue behind my front teeth and I see a small smile forming... may just be my imagination but I think the pace of visible improvement is also increasing.

Good luck to any other 12/7 people out there - hope this helps you a little

alabamajane

Re: 12/7 graft - 7 month progress update
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 01:51:45 pm »
Good for you, Marcdi!! ;)

It was at about the same timeframe  4 yrs ago that I also began to see signs,,, and yes you will notice more movement now more quickly. Patience does payoff!  :) hard as it is in the beginning.
I was told I would see "most of what you will get " as far as improvements by 12-18 months,, don't believe that either. I still see small changes this far out. Just "encourage " the nerve and muscles by pressing your tongue and doing slight movements often and before you know it,, you will have most of your smile back and good muscle tone in your cheek,, I'm sure!

Congrats again!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

feline

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 06:32:32 am »
How long was the surgery? How long were u in th the hospital and when did u return to the work? Was it painful? Would u do it again ? Sorry, so many questions but after 18 months or so after surgery of the an removal that is the next step. Thank you
Feline
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

marcdi

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 01:55:28 pm »
Hi Feline

I had the 12/7 exactly 6 months after my AN surgery. Think the op took about 3 hours, was in hospital for 3 days and back at work 2 weeks later. This op (for me at least) was nowhere near as intense as the 8 hour AN surgery. Pain wise, nothing much more than you'd expect.

My tongue and speech were a bit weird for about a month or 2 but now it's totally normal for me, every now and then I'll bite my tongue but that's generally if I speak too quickly or have had a few drinks :-)

I never had the choice not to do it as my facial nerve was damaged by the AN. If I had to do the op again, based on the improvement I'm seeing 7 months post my 12/7, I would.

feline

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 08:01:50 am »
Ok thank you I will keep u updated
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

alabamajane

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 08:51:55 am »
Feline,
I had my surgery 4 days after my AN surgery while still in the hospital. It was not very long and I was out of hospital 3 days later. I agree with Marcdi that it wasn't a very major deal. I had no complications from the surgery.

The biggest challenge is learning to use your tongue to eat and eventually cause facial movements. Eventually, both become automatic. The only time I bite my tongue now is when eating salad or eating too fast,,, I am always the last one done now,, it gets easier,,,

I would most definitely do it again as I have gotten wonderful results that I otherwise would not have. Like Marcdi though,, I had no choice really as facial nerve was severed during surgery as tumor had grown through it.
I wish you well and am confident you will receive good results also.

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

feline

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:59:50 pm »
Thank you for your input I will keep u posted,
Feline