Author Topic: MRI Report-Understanding  (Read 3929 times)

Dealy

MRI Report-Understanding
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:49:53 pm »
Got home from work today and in the mail was my 3 month MRI report. I was told 3 weeks ago it was stable but never saw the actual report. There are mostly likely those on this forum who have more expertise then myself. So can anyone help me understand this report. in lay terms. Report says that the AN has less central enhancement which could represent either slight necrosis or simply differences in the phase of enhancement. This MRI was done on a closed MRI instead of an Open. It goes on to say my AN measures 2.28x2.45 CM in the axial plane compared to 2.28x2.27 in a prior MRI. They say difference may be due to slice slection. Also says it measures 2.2CM superionferiorly compared to 2.28 previously. No evidence in brainstem of edema.Help-What are they saying. I know it is stable-but all this tehno has me somewhat baffled. Thanks _Ron. If I get no replies from anybody-I will still know it's stable-but it could be necrosing also. When it does-Party time in Kansas.

Battyp

Re: MRI Report-Understanding
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:02:02 pm »
dealy did you have treatment?  I'm assuming you had some kind of radiosurgery from what you posted (but you know what they say about people who assume).  Sounds like it's maybe slightly swelling and we'll go with the necrosis instead of hte differences in the phase of enhancement story..I like it better!
Did you have this one done at the same place as the other ones you've had done?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:08:23 pm »
Got home from work today and in the mail was my 3 month MRI report. I was told 3 weeks ago it was stable but never saw the actual report. There are mostly likely those on this forum who have more expertise then myself. So can anyone help me understand this report. in lay terms. Report says that the AN has less central enhancement which could represent either slight necrosis or simply differences in the phase of enhancement. This MRI was done on a closed MRI instead of an Open. It goes on to say my AN measures 2.28x2.45 CM in the axial plane compared to 2.28x2.27 in a prior MRI. They say difference may be due to slice slection. Also says it measures 2.2CM superionferiorly compared to 2.28 previously. No evidence in brainstem of edema.Help-What are they saying. I know it is stable-but all this tehno has me somewhat baffled. Thanks _Ron. If I get no replies from anybody-I will still know it's stable-but it could be necrosing also. When it does-Party time in Kansas.

Ron, it's time to party! :)  What it is saying is that the AN is not as "bright" on the films in it's central area, which is a typical sign of beginning necrosis! (YAY YOU!).  The size is pretty stable (keep in mind, MRI's have a +/- of 2mm, so it's still within the same size as your last MRI).    "No evidence of brainstem of edema" means no brainstem swelling. During any radio-surgery process, the brainstem does take a small hit of radiation (typically between 10-12 Gy), thus, the brainstem looks fine and no swelling!  (ANOTHER YAY!)

So, all in all... you are doing fabulous! The "booger" isn't growing, hint signs of necrosis and you, my dear, should open your favorite beverage to celebrate! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

tony

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 12:58:04 am »
Just to clarify, Tumour necrosis CAN mean that the tumour is dying
either from treatment - or has outrun its own blood supply.
It will need further follow ups 12-24mths to confirm this
- it maybe good news !
Best regards
Tony

Dealy

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 05:31:46 am »
First of all let me say to DFCMAN-well written. This is my 2nd time around with one of these damn things. The first time-even though it left me deaf in my left ear-I had no major complications-that was 17 years ago. Well I forgot over time. My brother had a stoke 3 years ago and had a near death experience. It changed him forever for the best. I firmly believe that we are given trials and tribulations for a reason-we just do not know what they are. I feel like you. I CANNOT do the things I used to do-SO WHAT. I am still alive and kicking. Thanks to others on helping me understand the MRI. I still am hoping my hearing will come back to somewhat decent levels so I can hear better again. I can hear people talk but alot sounds muffled and they have to repeat alot. First priority though-the SOB NEEDS TO DIE RIGHT-meaning of course the AN. Thanks for your input and posts. You know I do not drink anymore and cola is out because of tinnitus so I guess I will open an extra can of Diet 7Up. That is all I drink-besides water-no caffiene whatsoever. Boy do I miss chocolate sometimes. Regards-Ron in the Greta Desert of Kansas-BUT I LIKE IT HERE.