Author Topic: Dr. McMenomey @ NYU?  (Read 5094 times)

schwa

Dr. McMenomey @ NYU?
« on: March 16, 2016, 04:02:24 pm »
I was recently diagnosed and have spoken to three surgeons so far.  (For my tumor, symptoms, and young-ish age, surgery is the clear best choice -- everyone's recommendation as well as my preference.)  I'm curious if anyone here has any thoughts about Dr. Sean McMenomey at NYU.  I really liked him (and what he said) when I met him, and he's very experienced, so I was surprised to find that he's not mentioned much on the discussion forum.  (I see lots of raves for his NYU colleagues Drs. Roland & Golfinos, but they don't take my insurance.)  I'd love to get a little feedback before making my choice -- thanks to anyone who has anything to share!

(And thanks to everyone who's posted in the past.  I've spent the past couple of weeks devouring the information here!)
March 2016: Left 1.1cm AN diagnosed (age 39).
May 2016: Retrosigmoid @ USC Keck.
June 2016: Surgical site infection, bacterial meningitis & seizure. Surgery to remove titanium plate and wash out brain @ Jersey City Medical Center.
Now: Healthy with Rx-controlled headaches. Often tired, forgetful.

michellef08

Re: Dr. McMenomey @ NYU?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:12:08 am »
Hi,
I have to say - that even if a certain surgeon doesn't already take your insurance - it doesn't mean you have to rule them out. This is your brain after all! I had decided I wanted to go to House, but one of the surgeons was "out of network" for my insurance - but the other was "in-network". I had to make a LOT of phone calls to my insurance and House, and even talked to the surgeon's personal assistant, but in the end everything was covered! It is definitely a stressful journey, but not impossible! Everyone's decision is different - but I personally didn't want insurance to be a deciding factor when choosing who I felt most comfortable with operating on my brain.

I also was young, being diagnosed at 27!
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

Eddie

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 09:33:05 am »
Hi There,

Chances are, even if you have surgery in or out of network you might hit your maximum out of pocket deductible. It's a expensive surgery, and you should check what your maximum out of pocket is and if you are going to hit it anyway, you might as well go with which surgeon you want do to the procedure.

I didn't meet Dr McMenomey, but i met with Dr Jafar Jafar at NYU before my surgery and he didn't make me feel comfortable. I also went to Sloan Kettering and Columbia university and decided to go with Dr. Sisit there. Good luck with everything! I just had my surgery this pass December and i'm 33. Everything will be fine!
-July 2015 - Woke up with congested left ear and lasted about 2 weeks - then came Tinnitus
-9/16/15 - ENT doctor diagnosed with Tinnitus
-10/2/15 - MRI Scan reveals 2.4 X 2.4 x 2.2 cm AN
-12/8/15 - Surgery NYP Dr. Michael Sisti
-12/9/15 - 100% tumor removal all nerves saved :D

v357139

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 06:58:18 pm »
You don't hear much about McMenomey at NYU because he came from somewhere else.  I think it was the West Coast or Idaho.  I consulted with him and he was not my cup of tea.  But neither was Roland/Golfinos.  Most people going to NYU go with Roland/Golfinos, and they are an excellent choice.  I do not know much about McMenomey, but I think he is quite experienced, from my recollection.  I went to House in CA, and very glad I did.  I am in NY, feel free to PM if you'd like more info.

Fyi there is a NY Chapter meeting coming up on April 16 in NYC.  Great way to get a lot more info on local doctors from people in this area who have been treated.  PM me if you want more info.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

schwa

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 07:26:10 pm »
Thanks, everyone, for the input.  I'm still figuring things out, but I'm definitely strongly considering House now!  I spoke to Dr. Luxford there, and he recommends middle fossa surgery and is optimistic about hearing preservation.  Everyone I've spoken to in NYC recommends retrosigmoid and puts my chances of hearing preservation well under 50%.  (My AN is just about touching the brainstem, which is why most surgeons aren't eager to try middle fossa.)  So a trip to California may be in the cards... 

Let the insurance wrangling begin!  (GHI, bleh.)
March 2016: Left 1.1cm AN diagnosed (age 39).
May 2016: Retrosigmoid @ USC Keck.
June 2016: Surgical site infection, bacterial meningitis & seizure. Surgery to remove titanium plate and wash out brain @ Jersey City Medical Center.
Now: Healthy with Rx-controlled headaches. Often tired, forgetful.