Author Topic: Dr. Jason Sheehan - University of Virginia - Gamma Knife  (Read 40336 times)

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
Re: Dr. Jason Sheehan - University of Virginia - Gamma Knife
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2016, 10:07:11 am »
Although I recognize as another poster noted that there are many variables that effect choice, most of my reading of the literature were reviews of case studies with hundreds of patients. Interestingly, the outcomes, defined as tumor control, for surgery or radiation were very very similar. That makes radiation an easy choice to me because it is so much less invasive. The one mitigating factor is failure. If radiation fails, surgery is more complicated, though you may be able to re-radiate, and a good surgeon can still perform successful surgery. In contrast, if surgery fails, you still have the radiation card to play. However, since both have success rates around 90%, there just seemed to me to be so much more that could go wrong with surgery, and outpatient treatment vs 5 days in the hospital with a couple in the ICU was a no brainer. I actually think that in 10-20 years surgery won't be done due to more advances in radiation.

I have to agree with you BLW. I think it's a crime in some instances to perform major brain surgery on AN's , especially on those that are less than 1cm. The future appears very promising on the radiation front.
5/19/2015 - 40% sudden hearing loss + tinnitus right ear

6/26/2015 - AN diagnosed by MRI - 14mm x 7mm + 3mm extension

8/26/2015 - WIDEX "ZEN" hearing aid for my catastrophic tinnitus

12/15/2015: 18mm x 9mm + 9mm extension (5mm AGGRESSIVE GROWTH in 5 months)

3/03/2016:   Gamma Knife - Dr. Sheehan

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2016, 10:13:06 am »

I don't think, in my opinion, it is incumbent on us to tell others what the "likely, statistic" results of one treatment over another is going to be,  or what "studies show,,,,," there is always a bias in this type of response as some have said.

This doesn't mean you throw out the baby with the bath water. Obviously the cornerstone of medical science is based on statistics. While no one has a crystal ball, doctors are there to guide you along the decision-making process based on statistics.

We should keep our responses to our experiences with our ANs as that IS what we know. 

Statistics are available to the public on PubMed and are universal. It's not about personal experience. For example, a cancer doctor doesn't have to have cancer in order to know how to treat a cancer patient. Statistic DO matter. That's why when they have clinical trials they always insist on unbiased control groups. If statistics were worthless then we'd have anarchy.

That is what this forum used to be about. Supporting others both new and post treatment with positive, personal experiences. There are many more out there than "horror" stories. They just don't stay on the forum.

I have to respectfully disagree, and I don't even know why this is being discussed on the Gamma Knife thread.

The forum should never be about "sugar-coating". Support does NOT mean sugarcoating!

I personally hate it when people tell me "everything is going to be alright" when that person has no clue if that will be the case. The best support is backed up with truth and statistics. We've just witnessed in an earlier post that one person's horror story is another persons outcome as "doing well."

Just like BLW and I (in full disclosure) are clearly biased towards radiation, similarly Cheryl and Alabama are biased/passionate in regards to surgery. This is human nature and persist  throughout the forum largely based on which treatment the poster has undergone. It's almost comical.

My point is, you're not going to find many (certainly a lot less!) AN patients who had radiation frequenting the numerous sub categories on this forum for:  facial paralysis, headaches, eye problems, swallowing, taste issues, balance,  cognitive problems, etc. No one has died from radiation.

In my view, it's best to avoid these complications if possible. It's simple common sense. This is the main reason doctors put so many of their patients on Watch & Wait.

Does this make me unsupportive? Negative? Just the opposite.

Just because I don't sugarcoat or hold a "pollyanna" view towards everything AN or microsurgery doesn't make me any less supportive. Everyone is free, encouraged,  and welcome to share their views on the forum.

I've said many times we all hold passionate views, and at the end of the day we're all on the same team.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:36:46 am by mcrue »

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2016, 10:42:44 am »
The good news is I just went to another eye doctor this morning for a second opinion, and the Opthamologist concluded that I don't have blepharospasms. He said I never had blepharospasms from the beginning, and that the first eye doctor misdiagnosed me.

My eye nerve "trembling" issue was likely transient due in large part to post-GK swelling which hopefully has now subsided.

I'm looking forward to my second post-GK follow-up MRI on October 13.

alabamajane

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2016, 12:57:48 pm »
Good news for you mcrue,, glad you have the correct diagnosis now. Sure hope you will continue to improve from your post GK  ( radiation) complication ,,

You may want to start a sub category under radiation for " swelling of tumor " complications. I'm sure it would be helpful to others considering radiation.

Have a great day!
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2016, 03:04:29 pm »
Hugs.

Blw

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2016, 05:46:22 pm »
The good news is I just went to another eye doctor this morning for a second opinion, and the Opthamologist concluded that I don't have blepharospasms. He said I never had blepharospasms from the beginning, and that the first eye doctor misdiagnosed me.

My eye nerve "trembling" issue was likely transient due in large part to post-GK swelling which hopefully has now subsided.

I'm looking forward to my second post-GK follow-up MRI on October 13.

Yeah, I kind get the feeling that swelling is part of the post radiation path and it has very real symptoms and consequences if you are dealing witha large tumor.

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2016, 10:03:51 am »
Good news!

Dr. Sheehan's nurse called me this morning (less than 24-hours after receiving my MRI package)  to let me know the good news that my tumor is "going the way of the Dinosaur."

My AN is back to pre-treatment size, and the center of the tumor continues to change color.

Everything is going as planned, and I couldn't be much happier. Very reassuring news!

My next (third) follow-up MRI is scheduled around tax day, April 14, 2017.

I'm very glad I made the trip to Charlottesville, Virginia to see Dr. Sheehan.  It's also a very beautiful area to visit.

Blw

« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2016, 02:10:59 pm »
Good news!

Dr. Sheehan's nurse called me this morning (less than 24-hours after receiving my MRI package)  to let me know the good news that my tumor is "going the way of the Dinosaur."

My AN is back to pre-treatment size, and the center of the tumor continues to change color.

Everything is going as planned, and I couldn't be much happier. Very reassuring news!

My next (third) follow-up MRI is scheduled around tax day, April 14, 2017.

I'm very glad I made the trip to Charlottesville, Virginia to see Dr. Sheehan.  It's also a very beautiful area to visit.

Great news. Just got back from Maryland and the leaves are about at peak. Awesome scenery.

Janey

« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2016, 10:06:16 pm »
Congrats on the good report!

mcrue

• Greg Mech
    • gregmech26
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2016, 12:37:57 am »
Thank you Janey and Blw.

Yes, I think Charlottesville would be beautiful place to visit in the Fall season with all the color changes. It is very picturesque.