Author Topic: surgery at house was yesterday.  (Read 3457 times)

areles

surgery at house was yesterday.
« on: February 25, 2016, 01:31:37 am »
my son had translab at house yesterday with drs. miller and schwartz.  everyone who says dr. schwartz is brilliant is not exaggerating.  everyone who hasn't had dr. miller - which i think is everyone - she's warm, competent, and honestly, we all absolutely love her.  this may sound silly, but every time i've been within five feet of her i've felt nothing other than relaxed, reassured, and like my son was her most important patient.  and there was nothing more surreal than leaving room 618 at 5:30p and seeing them walking down the hall toward us, relaxed easy strides and smiles on their faces after starting on him 10 hours earlier.  they  might as well have been playing golf for the prior six hours.  i can't quite describe it.  "oh, everything went fine.  yes, it was totally removed.  his facial nerve looks perfect.  nbd." amazing. like it was a bunch of nothing, easy peasy.

2.8, total removal.  no facial nerve damage (though we recognize he could eventually develop weakness, and it does appear that swelling has resulted in some so far).  surgery was ten hours - 7:30a to 5:30p.  he was sitting up smiling within 19 hours after surgery, and walking with his PT at 21.  tonight was rough (the pain is no joke, and there are other things to report to those just starting out), and we're still so early into the process (so most likely more to report as things progress), but that's the current upshot. it's an emotional night and it's not all positive, but from the standpoint of the surgery itself, i'm not sure how it could have gone more smoothly.

i will definitely have more to say once we're home and as things march onward, and it's certainly not all wine and roses (more on that later). but that's the state of things currently, and the point for this particular missive is that these doctors gave him the best start he could have hoped for. 

no small credit goes to the team at large.  his rn, his audiologist, his anesthesiologist - they were all wonderful.

again, i'll expound when things calm down and when there's more to report.  also, if someone can offer some quick tips, i'll post pictures just before and within 18 hours after surgery.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:07:59 am by areles »
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}

Patti

Re: surgery at house was yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 06:30:43 am »
so happy for you and your son!  he's lucky to have you for a mother!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 06:49:12 am »
Hi areles .....

So glad surgery is over and it went well.  Those of us who had Dr. Schwartz' hands in our heads can agree he is top-notch.

No major surgery is a "walk in the park" so I am sure he is quite uncomfortable today/tonight.  Be sure to speak up to the nursing staff if he is miserable ..... they want him to be as comfortable as possible and to do well.  Each day you will see a huge improvement and usually by day 3 you will be amazed.  Thoughts and prayers this happens with your son!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

areles

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:18:29 am »
thank you for your suggestions!

his pain is terrible, but it's the nausea making him really miserable.  not sure how normal the nausea is; i don't recall reading much about it.  they aren't giving him anti-nausea meds.  also, his right arm/hand are swollen and painful.  i haven't gotten any answers to the latter yet, but hopefully this morning.

Hi areles .....

So glad surgery is over and it went well.  Those of us who had Dr. Schwartz' hands in our heads can agree he is top-notch.

No major surgery is a "walk in the park" so I am sure he is quite uncomfortable today/tonight.  Be sure to speak up to the nursing staff if he is miserable ..... they want him to be as comfortable as possible and to do well.  Each day you will see a huge improvement and usually by day 3 you will be amazed.  Thoughts and prayers this happens with your son!

Clarice
22 y/o son:

2.8cm dx 12/31/15
translab (10 hours) at house clinic 2/23/16 - dr schwartz, dr miller
surgical repair of csf leak 2/27/16 - dr miller, dr chen
as of 2/28/16, still in hospital, with tentative release scheduled for 3/1/16
{indeed sprung 10:15a 3/1/16}

LakeErie

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:31:25 am »
Anesthesia affects different people differently, it makes me nauseated every time, even with the scopolamine patch. The right hand and arm may have been where the A-line ( Arterial line ) was inserted to monitor blood pressure and blood gasses intra-operatively. In my case the A-line pressed on a nerve and left the right side of my hand and ring and little finger numb for months. My little finger jutted out to the side and I could not move it. I could not use my hand for much. I offer this a possible reason for your son's discomfort.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017