Author Topic: Cyber Knife  (Read 12515 times)

flier58

Re: Cyber Knife
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 11:26:14 am »
Hi Musicman,
I had CK in Stanford in Nov. with dr Chang. I was given Decadron after each of 3 sessions.  Had no side effects unless (in my case) you count good sleep a side effect.  The "roids" are given to prevent edema. I did not get any (not even a prescription) afterwards and did not need them. 
Flier58

Musicman

Re: Steroids??
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 07:57:28 pm »
Thanks!
17mm (still nice and small!!)
Received Diagnosis December 16, 2006
Currently scheduled for CyberKnife week of March 26, 2007

Lorenzo

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 03:58:48 am »
Flier58,
I had CK at Stanford too, and like you I had steroids three times, once after each session. Unlike you though, I had effects: very little sleep, energy to run a marathon, hunger to eat a horse, and constipation like never before. Oh that was such fun! Oh, and yes, I did eat a lot! Particulalry vegetables the get the system working again, but sadly to no effect. It eventually settled back after a while... Oh, that's one painful memory to bring up!
Sorry guys, but for me it really was no fun, so some of us had a rather different steroids story. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I had never taken steroids before in my life, system went into shock!  :)  Never again!
Ciao, Lorenazo

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 06:29:47 am »
I have to "ditto" Lorenzo.  I was on it long term for my particular situation and for those of you that were on this site this time last year, we had a thread about how to cure the...um.... constipation (btw,  my dr prescribed 8 oz heated prune juice with 1 tsp honey at night, works like a breeze!), insomnia issues as well (had the cleanest house in town) and the hungry horrors.

Please keep in mind that each CK location has their own protocols when prescribing anti-inflammatories/steroids (such as Decadron).  Please consult with your team prior to treatment so you know in advance and what to expect.

Phyl

Flier58,
I had CK at Stanford too, and like you I had steroids three times, once after each session. Unlike you though, I had effects: very little sleep, energy to run a marathon, hunger to eat a horse, and constipation like never before. Oh that was such fun! Oh, and yes, I did eat a lot! Particulalry vegetables the get the system working again, but sadly to no effect. It eventually settled back after a while... Oh, that's one painful memory to bring up!
Sorry guys, but for me it really was no fun, so some of us had a rather different steroids story. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I had never taken steroids before in my life, system went into shock!  :)  Never again!
Ciao, Lorenazo
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Lorenzo

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 06:39:17 am »
Oh yes, Phyl, the ould prunes (juice or not) and honey, with a little linseeds and bran thrown in for good measure... Ah yes, the bad old days...
I had the cleanest computer in the univers! I never spent so much time cleaning junk of it than during those sleepless nights. Then went nuts and bought a new laptop. I blame the decadron.
:D
Ciao, Lorenzo

marystro

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 09:13:27 am »
I couldn't quite sleep after the first treatment.  After that, slept like a baby!!

Come to think of it, I don't recall any ummh bathroom issue.  My appetitude was not too good however -- probably from the anxiety.  Now that I am 6 months +, eating like a horse now.  Feeling great!
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

flier58

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 05:27:03 pm »
Hello my fellow post CK ANers,
Well, all that remind us how different are our responses to meds, treatments and illness itself.  But good luck to all of us regardless of chosen approach!
Flier58

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 09:45:49 pm »
Oh, I'm the only one who really liked the decadron...however, I really did not sleep well- but because I had SO MUCH ENERGY- it didn't matter.  But then party girl here asked the doctors for more but was firmly told NO...and after 3 days, I'm sure they were right!

But on a serious note, I had little side effects other than lack of sleep.  It did make me realize though what powerful stuff it really is.  My understanding is surgery or radiation, you would still get steroids to prevent edema (swelling) correct?

Ah the joys of having an ear tumor.... Take care All, Annie

Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys