Author Topic: 12/7 six months post op  (Read 3247 times)

marcdi

12/7 six months post op
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:09:05 pm »
Hi guys

I'm 2 weeks shy of the 6 month mark post my hypoglossal-facial nerve anastomosis. I'm noticing small movement around my nose and underneath my eye, albeit marginal (sometimes I think it's my imagination!).

I was hoping to hear from fellow 12/7 members as to how quickly the recovery progresses post the first signs of movement? I understand that this is an 18 month road, but surely now that the 6 month mark is nigh, the recovery should speed up, or am I being too optimistic?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

alabamajane

Re: 12/7 six months post op
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 03:15:43 pm »
Hi,,
I had the procedure done in Oct 2011 and right at 6 mos I started seeing movements. I still see improvement to this day. I had wonderful outcome. Don't force the movements but I did do light massaging on that side to kinda "remind" the nerves/muscles what to do. Patience, as you have no doubt learned,, is your best defense. It takes awhile but you will see improvements more quickly now I believe.

Good luck,, I am glad it seems to have worked well for you.
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

marcdi

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 11:21:07 pm »
Thanks Jane. Appreciate the input.

In addition to it being 6 months from the 12/7, it will be a year from the main AN op on Friday. I wish I could say this whole experience has taught me patience, but alas, I'm climbing the walls in anticipation of some semblance of a normal looking face!!

Have a great day there!

Smedina

• I amaze myself...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 01:09:24 am »
Marc,

I don't know that we learn patience so much as have it forced upon us.  I'm almost 4 years out from my 12/7 graft.   It was pretty much like clockwork after about the three month mark I started noticing different sensations around my upper lip that eventually turned into movement.  As the nerve healed, I'd feel this in different zones on the paralyzed side.

Like Jane, I still see and feel improvements today. 

Don't expect the process to be done in 18 months... by that time I'm sure you'll see a big improvement, but there will still be more improvement to come.

Those little imagined movements will become more pronounced in the week and months to come. I agree with Jane- don't try to force anything, just let the process play out.

Best of luck!
-Sam
Dx 10/20/2011- 4.5cm
Retrosigmoid- Weill Cornell- 11/15/2011- hypervascular tumor
Translab- 11/30/2011
Multiple complications- CSF leak, DVT, cerebellar injury
Facial paralysis- 12-7 Nerve transfer 3/12
SSD—BAHA- 2/14
Ongoing reconstruction & rehab