Author Topic: Number of hours for surgery  (Read 13015 times)

Crystal

Number of hours for surgery
« on: October 22, 2006, 11:14:26 pm »
Hello,

Anybody know why there are different quotes of time by doctors for Translabyrinthine method.  One doctor told me it would take 9 hours.  I see posts on other sites where they say that would take 5 or so hours.  Are these guys using different methods for the same surgery?  I know that some are more skilled than others but the one who quoted me nine has a very good rep.  After finding this info on the internet I'm confused.   ???
Dr. Chang - Stanford U - April 2004 Cyberknife 15mm X 12mm
Dr. Schwartz and Doctor Luxford - House Ear Clinic - Dec 2006 Translab 19.1mm X 15mm

Boppie

Re: Number of hours for surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:54:04 pm »
I believe the surgeons will quote the hours based on their information on your tumor size, your pre op symptoms, and their own routine on the team.  Each doctor has a routine and he wants to keep the family asuured that if he says X hours that he has allowed enough time for a good job and the family will not expect to see you much earlier.  Once in a while the surgeon might get a patient who has a nice slippery tumor that will pop out fast and not require a lot of picking.  I wouldn't get excited about any difference in times for one translab patient and another, or one surgeon and anothre for that matter.  If the neuro wants more time he will send the op room nurse out to report to your family about his progress.  Once you are in ICU, awake or not the doc will visit with the family.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:03:35 am »
I think it can be difficult to predict time of surgery based only on MRI, they have a general idea based on others surgery's they've done however everyone is different. My first surgery was to be 8-9 hours, it was 15 hours. At the 8 hour mark they sent out a nurse, and every so often thereafter, to speak to my family. The surgeon spoke to them after and took them to where I was in NICU.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Obita

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:01:45 am »
Hi Crystal:

My surgeons told me between 4 - 8 hours on average and that there was no way to predict in advance.  In my case it was 8.5.  My tumor came out easy or I would have been a 12 hour.  I had an unusual (about as common as left handed vs right) high jugular bulb so they had to go up and around it instead of straight to the tumor.  They kept my family informed.  At hour 5 my neurosurgeon even came out to tell them to go to lunch because he wouldn't be starting the tumor removal for another half hour or so and that my Neurotologist was just starting to get close to the tumor.

For your family and friends sake I hope you are a quickie but prepare them for the long haul so they don't get worried.

Best of luck,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 07:28:26 am »
It really seems to depend on the quality of the tumor they find once they're in there.  My surgeon quoted 10-12 hours for surgery.  The surgery itself was 10.5 hours, I was under anesthesia 11.5 hours.  But my doctors also described my tumor as "very plump" and "tedious" to remove.  I'm also very glad they took all that time - I had no damage to my facial nerve, not even temporary. 

Others have ANs the just slip right off the nerves and it's a lot less work for the surgeons.  There's so many factors for determining how long the surgery will be!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 12:58:36 pm »
Agreed, plus if it is, or how it is entangled in the cranial artery that runs through there makes a difference as well.  Once the Dr. opens the Dura, and the CSF pressure is released, the tumor will puff, so the MRI can give the surgeon an idea of what they're looking at, but that's it...just an idea.  My tumor had grown significantly in the 3 months since the MRI, and surprised the Dr. as it had turned down at the trigeminal nerve and was sticky and growing into nerves 10, 11, and 12....something they couldn't see on the MRI.  They were nice enough to keep my family appraised along the way, but it just depends on how fast that particular surgeon works and how sticky/messy or not your tumor is.  I was 6 1/2 hours. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Battyp

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 04:51:52 pm »
I think I'd rather be told longer than shorter.  I was told 6 hours and it took 9.  From what I was told by my family waiting it was very stressful for them to wait the extra few hours even though the nurse called and reported in to them from the or.  It befuddles me how they can judge how long with there are so many variables.  I'm sure they are giving an average of their experience.

ANcoleader

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 06:01:58 pm »
You must find out how many surgeries that the doctor has done, success rate and if he/she has any patients that you can talk to.  I was told in my research if you find an good doctor that you also want less time under anesthesia as it is beeter for the patient.

Pembo

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 06:15:39 pm »
The doc said I'd be in surgery 6-8 hours and I was in for 16! My tumor was 4 cm but was "stuck to everything" and from reading the surgery report it was a bleeder therefore took a lot longer to remove.  My husband said that the waiting was awful and he watched a lot of people come and go. He said goodbye to me at 7:15 am and didn't see me again until 3 am, a very long day.  I'm just glad they took their time and got the whole thing out.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 06:37:24 pm »
Hey Crystal: I have been told anywhere from 3-4 hours, up to 6-8 hours.  Again, it will be long day either way for your family and no matter how much you prepare them, I'm sure they will still be freaked.  Try not to worry about others, just take care of yourself! (Easier said than done, as I still worry about everyone else). Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 07:07:24 pm »
pearchica,

My Otologist told me a translab will be all day...could be up to 12 hrs.

My neurosergeon told me about 7 1/2 hrs.

gabba, gabba, hey.

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

cookiesecond

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 09:40:58 pm »
I was told 5-6 hours and it took 8. The tumor was sticky and really wrapped around my facial nerve. It was very tedious but they took their time and I didn't have any facial numbness not even temporary. I thank God for that. My family did have to ask around the five hour mark but after that they kept them informed.They were told I probably wouldn't know them until the next day but I did. As soon as they came to recovery, I saw my husband next my parents and then my girls. I was very alert, asking questions and wanting my glasses.I usually wear contacts and am lost without them.
I knew the day of surgery would be hard on my family so I packed them a goody bag with snacks, magazines. hand held games and a deck of cards.
Lynn

brasher

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 10:00:37 pm »
hi crystal,
i was told by one surgeon that it could take 16 to 20 hours to do my surgery. my actual dr.'s thought it would take 8 to 10. it actually took over 13 hours.
i had a large tumor, so i was made aware that things could come up during the procedure. the were right about predicting that.
my tumor was very vascular, it had lots of blood vessels attached to it, therefore, i lost a lot of blood during surgery, apparently complicating everything, requiring a blood transfusion. like a liter or so?
anyway, it is something to look into and ask about. i did not have any blood work done other than just the normal type sample. luckily, my transfusion was successful.
good luck and god bless you
tony
6.5cm AN;   1/23/07
translab prceedure; house ear clinic; Dr. Slattery and Dr. Schwartz
facial nerve severed with complete removal of tumor.
gold eye weight;2/21/07-Dr Roberts
12-7 nerve anastomosis; 3/1/07, Dr Slattery
happy to be here; recovering well

jtd71465

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 10:46:47 pm »
I was told it would take from 4 - 6 hours, it took 3.5 hours, in at 5:00PM out at 8:30PM.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 05:34:56 pm »
I ended up being around 12 hours. My surgeon said the Trans lab was 8 hours and went smoothly. The lumbar drain took 1 1/2 hours to put in. He told me that that was a long time for that particular procedure. I had a bit of scoliosis as a kid so my back is kind of twisted. I'm sure that had something to do with it.
Then I was having such a good time during all of this, I didn't want to wake up for over 2 more hours.

Hey...a good nap is a good nap...

Dan
Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.