Author Topic: Surgery date set at House Ear Clinic  (Read 5789 times)

red

Surgery date set at House Ear Clinic
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:36:14 am »
Just finished schedulling surgery for my husband at the House Clinic with Brackman and Hitselberger.  The date is November 6 and what a whirlwind the last month has been.  Thanks to you all for your help and reccomendations.  Not sure about some things and anxiety about others.  Just want the best outcome possible for him.   I noticed that someone said to be sure to take a neck pillow, which was something I would not have thought of.  If anyone has ony other suggestions for a good experience at the House please feel free to suggest.  Thanks again red

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Surgery date set at House Ear Clinic
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 11:53:10 am »
 think of things you would want around if you were home sick in bed for a week ...

slippers
extra toothbrush and shaving stuff
button top pjs with slip on pants
cell phone
lollipops .. (if you have facial problems, the stick is great because the candy does get "lost" in your mouth!)
chapstick
picture of kids or loved ones
cheesecake! (there is a cheesecake factory not far..my wife bought me some while I was bed ridden)

also I might point out, they kept putting eye drops and Lacri-lub in BOTH eyes .. which I hated, because I really could not
see well .. I just wanted my AN side to be done...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:57:40 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Danny2006

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:06:28 pm »
I don’t know what accommodations you have planed, but the Seton Guest Center is Right by the hospital, very safe and secure, I would recommend you stay there, and park in parking building behind guest center. I want to also say that you have picked, (In my opinion) the Best place possible to have your surgery done. I had mine there on 02JUN06 and am so glad I did. I did not turn out as good as I had hoped, but I ended up having a Facial nerve neuroma, and not an Acoustic nerve neuroma, and I believe that at a less experience hospital with less experienced Doc's I would have turned out very bad. So rest assured that the Doc's at HEI know what they are doing.
Good Luck,
Danny
10mmx8mm AN (facial nerve neuroma) found Feb. 06
Surgery at House Clinic on 02June06,

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 12:46:13 pm »
Good Luck to  your hubby Red, and to you. House will take good cre of him. I think posting and reading here on the forum probably has helped prepare you for the recovery period. It's a tough one, but you'll get through it. Best wishes, positive energy and prayers going out your way. marking my calandar for the 6th to include you guys and your docs in my prayers that day.
Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 06:27:46 pm »
Hi Red,

Although not a micro-surgery patient and can't advise about what to bring to House.... I just wanted to wish your husband wellness and speedy recovery... and know we are here for you too! 

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

red

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 07:12:23 pm »
Thanks for ti[s on what to bring.  we could not have found a better place to look for answers to these issues.  Keep up the great work.  What a great thing to know somebody else is keeping your wurgery date in mind.  Thanks patti and everyone who responded. Red and Hubby

amylynn

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 09:11:24 pm »
Red,
I am so happy you were able to go to House!  I will be home by then and thinking about you two.  I will keep you in my prayers.
Amy
amylynn 
3.0cm AN left
sx 10/26/06
House-Friedman/Hitselberger/translab
MO

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 11:38:18 am »
If he wears glasses and is having Middle Fossa, take one of those little screwdriver glasses thingies so you can take the arm off the glasses--it's more comfortable for the incision area.
And Baby shampoo because the shower will be spinning and it's better to leave your eyes open if possible while showering.
Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Obita

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 05:43:10 pm »
WOW.  House will have 3 forum members within 2 weeks.  Please let us know when surgery is over.

Best of luck to you both.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 06:00:38 pm »
Good luck to those going to house.

Can you bring your own CD's to listen to?

I will be thinking about all of you.......

Sincerely,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 07:21:46 pm »
Best of luck to your husband Red.  Do a search on kate besserman she did a thread awhile back where we listed all things that would be helpful post surgery.  Funny I was at an ENT appointment today where Dr. H was brought up and House in conjunction with the best an place to go and how much they've done to help improve an surgeries.  Too bad my other ent didn't mention it  LOL  Keep us posted as you can we'll be keeping you and yours in our thoughts and prayers!