Author Topic: Transpetrosal approach posterior cranial fossa  (Read 6413 times)

LarryS

Transpetrosal approach posterior cranial fossa
« on: October 21, 2006, 07:27:45 pm »
I would like to hear from anyone who has had this approach. I have tried to find anything related to Transpetrosal on the internet and of course you have to be a doctor to get into some of the topics. This is what is listed on the procedure list for my insurance. I have been told the incision will be "behind my ear". Will be seeing my neurosurgeon again on Oct 27. One doctor said they were going to try to get 80% of the tumor out and leave it around the swallowing nerve so they would not cut that. My tumor is large and I have already had GK which did not stop it. They only treated half of it and told me that after the GK treatment and about 8 hours spend with a cage bolted into my skull.  My surgery is scheduled for November 6. They have told me I might be have left facial paralysis (just got over Bells palsy caused by the GK). The waiting is what seems to be the hardest part and just not knowing of the outcome. Anybody who can help me with this term of transpetrosal approach posterior cranial fossa, will be greatly appreciated.
Larry in Texas

Boppie

Re: Transpetrosal approach posterior cranial fossa
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:12:01 pm »
Larry I read some and get this much.  This term describes an approach that gives a good view of a chosen area of the tumor while requiring minimal retraction (disturbance) of the brain.  It is a favored approach also because of the shortest distance to certain areas of the pontine angle (maybe where your tumor remains are located?)

I googled "transpetrosal approach" and found these few facts amongst a lot of other technical verbage..

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 05:48:57 am »
Larry, I don't know about that surg. approach, but I've read that drs.  are now leaving in some of the tumor to DECREASE the risk of facial paralysis, so I liked hearing they're doing that for you.   Good thoughts to you, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 10:40:07 am »
Larry, I goggled your topic again and found a very long abstract with lots of details about the position of the patient's head during surgery and advantages of the trasp...approach.  It is readable, includes several graphics and a  good MRI.  Everybody was still cooking at the end of the tale!  If you want to look in on this long article, I can try to link it to you email.