Author Topic: Surgery is Scheduled  (Read 2948 times)

JimGagnepain

• Time keeps everything from happening at once!
Surgery is Scheduled
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:49:24 am »
Alright, I finally got my surgery scheduled for 12/17/2015 with Drs. Lekovic and Wilkinson at the House Clinic.  It's going to put a damper on the Holiday season, but they had the openings in their schedules, and I thought it was best to do this ASAP.  Since surgery seems to be my best option, I see no advantage in waiting.

I still haven't decided on Trans Lab or Retro Sigmoid.  I can still hear conversations with my left ear, but I miss some words.  If the conversations are loud, I hear everything.  I'm leaning towards Retro Sigmoid, understanding that there are no guarantees, and I may lose that ear anyway.

This forum was a God-send, and I sure appreciate everybody's input.
Diagnosed  11-2-2015
MRI: 2.4 cm AN, with 3 or 4 small cysts
SSD.  All else is very good.
Surgery 12-17-2015
Lekovich and Wilkinson - House Clinic

mommystanley

Re: Surgery is Scheduled
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:16:54 am »
Hi! I'm glad I came across your post. I am struggling with the same decision. I have a lot of hearing loss, however, I can still make out some conversations if they are loud enough. The little hearing I have also helps me localize where sound is coming from. Could you tell me what they said about post op headaches with the retro approach? Are you nervous about that?

Good luck with everything!!!
Diagnosed 11-19-15
1.7 cm - Hearing loss (not entirely) and humming in right ear

JimGagnepain

• Time keeps everything from happening at once!
Re: Surgery is Scheduled
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:30:11 pm »
Hi! I'm glad I came across your post. I am struggling with the same decision. I have a lot of hearing loss, however, I can still make out some conversations if they are loud enough. The little hearing I have also helps me localize where sound is coming from. Could you tell me what they said about post op headaches with the retro approach? Are you nervous about that?

Good luck with everything!!!
Dr. Wilkinson explained the advantages of the TransLab surgery - better access to tumors, less invasive (don't have to go through the skull), quicker surgery and quicker recovery  He didn't talk about headaches, but I'll ask him, next time we talk.  Of course the disadvantage is that SSD is a given.  They're supposed to be sending me a packet, and that may talk about it.  I'll let you know.
Diagnosed  11-2-2015
MRI: 2.4 cm AN, with 3 or 4 small cysts
SSD.  All else is very good.
Surgery 12-17-2015
Lekovich and Wilkinson - House Clinic