Author Topic: Signs of facial nerve recovery?  (Read 7893 times)

NatANrecovery

Signs of facial nerve recovery?
« on: April 04, 2016, 01:40:40 pm »
Hello all!

I'm a 31 year old female and had 3cm AN removed on Nov. 30, 2015. I'm just a little over 4 months out and am doing like everyone else did/is doing ... Trying to be patient with my face! Over the last few weeks I get a buzzing type feeling on my lips and the corner of my mouth that has the weakness. Could anyone let me know if they had any of these types of feeling that eventually led to movement?

Smedina

• I amaze myself...
Re: Signs of facial nerve recovery?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 02:52:33 pm »
Hi Nat,

Spontaneous recovery wasn't in the cards for me, but what you're describing sounds like what I experienced a few months after my facial nerve transfer surgery. That buzzing would move into different places as the nerve recovered. Good luck, and I hope you have a great recovery.  As I'm sure you've read, the patience pays off and definitely stay engaged in your improvement! All the best.
-Sam
Dx 10/20/2011- 4.5cm
Retrosigmoid- Weill Cornell- 11/15/2011- hypervascular tumor
Translab- 11/30/2011
Multiple complications- CSF leak, DVT, cerebellar injury
Facial paralysis- 12-7 Nerve transfer 3/12
SSD—BAHA- 2/14
Ongoing reconstruction & rehab

researcher

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:44:53 pm »
Nerves are weird. They can regenerate slowly and provide you with many different sensations.

After my surgery, one side of my face didn't move. Now, I have a fair bit of facial movement, eye closes most of the way, and my sense of taste is altered.

I personally think the buzzing on your face is a good sign. I think that most therapists wouldn't have you do facial exercises until after 6 months post-op. You are still 2 months from that. I hope you keep on recovering from the surgery.

Take care.

marcdi

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 11:00:12 am »
I also had the 12/7 nerve graft, but I can imagine spontaneous recovery and the nerve graft recovery following a similar process.

For me, I had that buzzing feeling, coupled with extreme ticklishness.

Good luck!

NatANrecovery

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 08:55:45 am »
Thank you all so much for the feedback! I also had a quick stabbing pain last night above my weak upper lip. Hoping these are all signs of a impending healing!!

ccooper

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 09:17:44 pm »
I had surgery February 11th, full right side paralysis. I get tingling, almost painful and then the next day I notice I have a little movement in that area. So I personally think any feeling, even stabbing pain, is a good sign.
37 yr old female
3.4x3x2.6
Retrosigmoid February 2016 at UC Health
Oops they forgot to tell me tumor was left behind
Doubled in size
Re-do Retrosigmoid at House July 2016
SSD, Facial Paralysis but almost recovered

jaqiday

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 11:35:01 am »
I had surgery in March 2015. My facial paralysis had no significant change until around 7 months post op. I am going into the 14th month and while I still have limited movement of my face, my dry eye is almost gone (absolute worst symptom for me). I still smile crooked but look pretty much normal now.

I periodically felt twitching and wiggling like I had a worm under my skin. This was always followed by lessening paralysis symptoms and better movement. Patience is the key with facial paralysis, you just have to wait it out. 

Good luck to all!
Right AN 3.2cm 2-27-15
Retrosigmoid 3-9-15 6 hours
Facial nerve paralysis, dry eye, balance problems
Finding a new normal...

feline

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 02:02:44 pm »
I have waited 22 months for my facial paralysis to improve , it has not, is a nerve graft to late to have done at this time?
Feline
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

caryawilson

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 04:12:59 pm »
I would think 22 months is too long for a straight nerve graft but they also do muscle and nerve grafts  Find a plastic surgeon specializing in facial paralysis restoration. I can recommend Dr. Boahene at Hopkins. Amazing.   As with most world class doctors.. Hard to get an appointment.  http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/profiles/results/directory/profile/0020256/kofi-boahene
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

feline

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 06:12:06 am »
Thank you but I will be seeing Dr Most at Stanford May 17 to check my options.
Feline
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise