Author Topic: Increasing Tinnitus  (Read 2834 times)

GP9

Increasing Tinnitus
« on: November 03, 2015, 06:02:36 pm »
I had gamma knife about 4 years ago. Since then it seems that my little hearing left , in my bad ear, when I was operated on is now gone. My doctor is great, but his practice sucks. I had a MRI 1 year post op. I didn't hear anything from the office for over a month. I called and the receptionist snapped at me that the doctor is on vacation, like I missed the office memo of the travel plans.

I needed another MRI 2 years out. The doctor is in New York, but I'm Upstate. I had it done locally, and mailed the CD-ROM, likely with signed receipt. I never heard anything. With the last tongue lashing, I left it alone.

The last time they said to go again in 2 years. I called and the receptionist said that I never followed through on my second MRI, so she'd send me a prescription. The local imaging center said I'd need approval, so I called about 3 weeks ago. Today I had to call the insurance on another matter, and asked if my doctor sent the approval. They hadn't.

Fortunately the doctor is involved in another practice. I called, and was transferred to his assistant. I explained everything, and how I wanted to handle this out of the chain of command of the practice which I attended. She was very helpful.

Sorry for the long story, but my tinnitus has been getting louder lately, which makes me worry. This adds to the stress of my wife's recent health problems. Is the louder tinnitus anything to worry about?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Increasing Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 06:47:45 am »
Hi GP9 .....

So sorry for all of the troubles you have had with your doctor's office staff.  That is most distressing.

As for the increased tinnitus meaning a change in your tumor, there really is no accurate answer for that.  Increasing tinnitus can be caused by a whole bunch of things ..... too much caffeine, increased stress, not enough sleep, exposure to noisy places/things, etc.  Generally, tinnitus goes along with hearing loss, which may or may not be caused by a growing tumor.

That being said, you really do need to know the results of a current MRI to determine the status of your tumor to see if there is any correlation between your missing hearing and the size/shape of your tumor.

Thoughts and prayers for quick approval of your MRI ..... and for healing for your wife!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011