Author Topic: heading for a consultant for plastic surgery  (Read 3109 times)

william5822

heading for a consultant for plastic surgery
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:37:24 am »
we are almost 2 years post op. The ENT surgeon called yesterday to let my husband know that his MRI scan was stable. So 2 good stable scans and he doesn't need to have another MRI for 3 years. She did want us to have a consult with the ENT plastics surgeon to do a small face lift - to pull his check and lips up so that hopefully it will reduce his drooling (which he hates) and to give him a better quality of life. They will also look at his nose which due to the paralysis has collapsed a little and makes it hard to breathe. I wasn't sure if my husband would go for it. Honestly I love him just as he is. But he said to make the consult so I will :)  I would so love to see his smile again.

I'll also be making an appointment for a consult with one of our physicians (I work in a MD/OD practice) on the Sclera lens. Our Dr. just recently fit another AN patient who is loving the lens so I think I have my husband talked into giving this a try as well.

Here's hoping that 2016 will give him a better outlook on his post AN life :) and woohooooo to no regrowth and hopefully a "farewell"!!

Thank you for all the information that is openly shared on this board. Each post...each comment...is helping someone make a decision on a new course for their life. you are each truly wonderful
3 cm AN removed 12.3.13 - 12 hours in surgery
Emory Healthcare Midtown Atlanta
Left Side facial paralysis - intact facial nerve
1.31.14 - Gold weight implant and tarsal flap
2.17.14 RETURNED to work :)
10.6.14 - 10 month MRI shows stable

lorigasper

Re: heading for a consultant for plastic surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 07:56:23 pm »
I'm so glad to hear your good report - and thrilled that your husband has tried the scleral lens.  It has certainly changed my life!

You didn't mention a 12/7 nerve jump in your discussion.  I had my surgery here in Colorado Springs last Dec. and surprisingly, had movement start at 8 mos.  I can't smile yet, but I can smirk!  There is lots of information here about the procedure.  There is also a wonderful website - facial plastics in California, I think - that will give you lots of options for reanimating your husband's face.  A lot depends on age and the time since the original AN surgery, but you might want to take a look for ideas.

Wishing you both continued strength and healing!  Best wishes!
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
tarsorraphy 6/13, SSD, rt side facial paralysis
tarsorraphy reversed 7/14
gold weight and scleral lens 7/14
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: heading for a consultant for plastic surgery
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:54:54 pm »
I ws too scared to have the 7/12 jump after ending up with fp - so I opted for the T3 surgery with Dr. Patrick Byrne who is amazing.
He will let your husband know what the best options are.  I would go with him.  Best wishes
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis