Author Topic: Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome  (Read 3176 times)

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome
« on: October 15, 2015, 05:12:04 pm »
It's been over 4 years since my surgery for acoustic neuroma and my Doctors are very impressed with my recovery.  About 6 months ago, i started having bloody discharge when blowing my nose.  My husband and i just thought it was dryness from the wood stove burning.  About April, it seemed to be getting worse, and we were no longer using the wood stove, so I went to my PCP.  He had no idea what it was and sent me to an ENT.  I chose to go back to the ENT who assisted my neurosurgeon.  I saw the NP in that office.  She thought it was dryness that is common with people my age and recommended nasal irrigations and prescription gel.  after 3-4 months, it was not improving and about a month ago, i woke up with the right side of my face swollen, my right eye almost shut.  my PCP immediately put me on an ABX, and proceeded to send me to a Dermatologist,  he did a biopsy to rule out squamous cell carcinoma, which i just received notice today, was negative for cancer.  His working diagnosis was trigeminal trophic syndrome.  I proceeded to see the ENT that following monday.  the dermatologist had called the ENT, prior to my visit and discussed that diagnosis with her.  she then told me she had never heard of this condition and neither had the head of the ENT dept.  We have all been Googling the Intenet.  It appears to be a rare condition and we have learned that any treatments have not been very successful.  It seems to be sequela of the facial paralysis from the surgery.  i have parathesia of the right side of my face.  It is ulcers within the nasal cavity.  I was just curious if anyone else has been given this diagnosis and what, if any treatments that have been attempted ??? ???
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.

Mlamb

Re: Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:00 pm »
I can't believe I'm reading this! I literally woke up today with a small sore in my left nostril and have been trying to figure out what it was. I had surgery to remove my Trigeminal schwannoma this past December. Since my surgery, the left side of my face is numb- everything but my jaw. My left nostril is totally numb and also always feels congested. I thought I was being paranoid thinking this might have something to do with having no sensation in that side of my nose but the fact that there is actually a condition like this and it could literally effect any part of the face that has lost sensation is really scary. I'm going to call my neurosurgeon tomorrow.

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
Re: Trigeminal Trophic Syndrome
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:27:01 pm »
I am in the very early stages of diagnosis, but everything seems to be pointing to this.  the Dermatologist who has suggested this has said it is RARE.  he only knows of 2 cases.  both the ent and Dermatologist are doing more research on this topic.  i go back to the Dermatologist on the 29th of October and the ENT in November.  hopefully, one of them will have more information for me.  I will post when I have some answers.
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.