Author Topic: Incredible DOCTOR and recovery!!  (Read 5677 times)

smartt

Incredible DOCTOR and recovery!!
« on: October 15, 2015, 11:42:37 am »
Dr. Randall W. Porter is unlike any other doctor. He is not only a world-renowned and extremely skilled neurosurgeon who specializes in Acoustic Neuromas, but he also has excellent bedside manners. Dr. Porter is respectful, kind and a great listener. He is thorough in his diagnosis and treatment options. I was diagnosed with a 6 CM Acoustic Neuroma on 11/04/13. The tumor was pushing my brainstem over, significantly displacing it. Due to the massive size of my tumor, my predicted complications after surgery were high: coma, stroke, brain damage, swallowing problems requiring a feeding tube, breathing difficulties requiring a tracheostomy, balance issues and complete facial paralysis. After thirteen hours under the knife, I walked out of the hospital after 5 days from surgery with ZERO complications. Dr. Porter not only preserved my facial muscles but my life! I would, without hesitation, put my life in Dr. Porter's hands again if necessary.

michellef08

Re: Incredible DOCTOR and recovery!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 01:47:35 pm »
Wow, what an incredible outcome, congrats!!!

Where does Dr. Porter work? And what surgical procedure did you have done?
Diagnosed Dec 2012: AN 1.4 cm with mild hearing loss and tinnitus. Surgery: Middle Fossa at House with Schwartz/Friedman on April 10, 2013. Entire tumor removed, no facial issues, no balance issues, and they preserved my hearing!! Co-leader of the Washington, DC ANA support group since 2016.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 01:52:35 pm »
Finally, someone who’s brain booger was bigger than mine...bravo! My brainstem was equally involved with the same predicted complications. I spent three weeks in the hospital, and six years later, still deal with all of the same deficits.

Your Doctor sounds like a real prince. Sadly, mine was a quack. I’m very happy for you!

Take Care  ;)

Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

smartt

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 12:50:07 pm »
Thank you! Dr. Porter works at Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix, Arizona. He was trained by Dr. Robert Spetzler, the world's greatest neurosurgeon. He performed the retrosigmoid approach on me since my tumor was so large. He was predicting a 3 day surgery. A full 12 hours the first day. Then they would take a break and let my brain which was squished up top move back in place. The following day, Dr. Porter would continue another 10 hours removing my tumor and get as close to the brain-stem without damaging it.

Miraculously everything went so smoothly during my surgery that Dr. Porter only worked on me for 13 hours and was finished. 8 months later, I had Gamma Knife radio-surgery to freeze the remaining 10% tumor which was a strip left on my brain-stem. If the Dr. scrapped it off my brain-stem then I would be comatose. I am so grateful for technology and brilliant doctors and scientists who have done research and found a way to preserve patients lives!
I would recommend ANYONE going to BNI in Phoenix!! They are absolutely incredible.

smartt

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 02:34:16 pm »
Also I am so sorry to hear that your doctor wasn't very good!! Good doctors are rare to come by. I have had my journey through dumb doctors for separate health challenges who made things worse for me. So frustrating! Hang in there.

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 02:37:49 pm »
No boohoo here. You missed my motto: “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program!” Add “it’s all good,” to that.

Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

smartt

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 04:28:42 pm »
haha!! Love your attitude :D Yes life is good. Things always work out ;)

Enri

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 05:41:16 pm »
Nice to hear good (relative) stories.  It gives us newbies hope
----
Diagnosed Oct. 2015 - mild tinnitus, partial hearing loss - Right ear
1.5 cm x 0.8cm
Retrosigmoid Nov 2016 - Houston Methodist - Drs. Vrabec and Britz

RetroBoy

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 01:42:33 pm »
That's amazing! Congratulations!
Diagnosed 2005. Watched and waited until Nov 2015 when 1.6cm removed at Keck. Hearing lost but no other issues.