Author Topic: Return of tearing post op?  (Read 3848 times)

FLhusker

Return of tearing post op?
« on: October 06, 2015, 09:24:42 am »
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had an experience similar to mine. I had a large right sided AN removed via translab approach in May. The nerve was not able to be separated entirely from the tumor, and since the remaining tumor would have been >2.5 cm, the facial nerve was transected. The tumor was completely removed, but I was left with a r sided facial paralysis. Thankfully, the surgeon did an greater acoustic nerve graft at the time of tumor removal. In the 5 months since surgery, I have had some return of muscle function of the lower mouth.

Has anyone had experience with return of tearing after facial nerve transection and graft? Also, how was facial muscle function recovery? I've had a platinum eyelid weight, which definitely helps, but leaves a 1-2 mm opening still. Thanks so much, lurking on this forum has helped a lot over the last several months.

alabamajane

Re: Return of tearing post op?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 03:59:47 pm »
Hi and welcome,,
I did have a similar situation in that facial nerve was severed to remove tumor. I had the 12/7 nerve graft 4 days later. I have had wonderful recovery now 4 yrs later.

As far as my eye, I had a gold weight put in shortly after surgery and kept it for about a year until muscles regained movement. It was removed and I have done very well. At first after surgery, I had  to use drops several times a day and ointment at night. No longer. Occasionally I need drops for dry eye ,, usually in wind, bright sun or in retail stores with a lot of clothing. ,,,  guess it's the dye,,,
At night I like to sleep with an eye/sleep mask on. I can do without but it helps keep light out and I sleep better plus if there is a fan overhead, it keeps eye from drying out.

I don't have any excessive tearing of that eye, and I don't cry on that side. But as I say,, dryness is not a real issue either. I guess there is some moisture in my eye just not excessive. I do get Botox about 3 times a year in the eye area that helps it open and close better. Hard to explain, but eye lid or eyebrow droops some without it. You will probably not get much eyebrow movement on that side. I don't have much at all. But cheek muscles are working good and I have a decent closed mouth smile.

Good luck to you.. It can take up to 12-18 months to see real positive results. Give it time  ;)

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

feline

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:34:45 pm »
Having a difficult time deciding on what to do with the nerve graft using the tongue nerve, I have lived 18 months with a crooked face and a dry eye will this surgery help and what about recovery, would anyone like to advise me.
Thank u
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

caryawilson

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:33:50 pm »
Dry Eye: this was debilitating for me in the beginning. Of all the problems with facial paralysis this was the worst. First go to a good optometrist and ocular plastic surgeon. The eye requires subtle details. I initially had the eye weight done by the surgeons that did my facial reanimation and like you it had a small opening. Smaller than 1mm but still allowed air to enter. This may require a heavier weight or lower eye lid tightening. My ocular surgeon was McCulley at Hopkins. The optomologists will look at the cornea and he can help coordinate with the ocular surgeon.

Your next question is on facial reanimation. You want to see a couple doctors that specializes in our condition. I used Boahene at Hopkins.  I also had a sureal cross facial nerve graft. Not sure if it would help you.
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene