Author Topic: Gamma Knife with Dr. Silverman at NYU?  (Read 6550 times)

Chelle

Gamma Knife with Dr. Silverman at NYU?
« on: September 18, 2015, 02:16:46 pm »
Anyone have experience with Dr. Silverman at NYU doing Gamma Knife??

I've taken a long time deciding to finally take this step!

Thanks!
Michelle
1 cm right ear
Diagnosed 11/15/11
Wait and see, currently getting other opinions

marthawd

Re: Gamma Knife with Dr. Silverman at NYU?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 04:50:02 pm »
Dr. Silverman was on the team, led by Dr. Kondziolka, that performed my GK surgery last March. I met him briefly just before the procedure. The word that comes most quickly to mind for him and every person and every part of the experience at NYU Langone is...wonderful! Could not possibly have been better in any way.

And six months later, I am doing fine; balance is markedly improved, lousy hearing is still lousy, and I've had no other symptoms.

Hope that helps you with your decision!
AN diagnosed in 2012.  13mm transversely by 10mm cranial caudally by 13 mm anteroposteriorly 2014. At 70 thought maybe it would go away..or I would. But here we are.

v357139

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:39:11 pm »
I have never heard of Dr Silverman.  I do know that Dr Kondziolka at NYU is top notch for Gamma Knife.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

mandy721

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 09:58:10 pm »
I'm chiming in again.  Dr. Silverman has excellent credentials, but looks young to me!  Find out how many of these procedures he has done.  Also, consider having a consult with Dr. Kondziolka. 
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Chelle

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 06:25:34 pm »
Thanks all for your your replies!  Dr. Golfinos is my neurosurgeon  and would be working with Drs Rush or Silverman as the radiation oncologists  to do my GK.  Dr. Kondziolka is also a neurosurgeon and from what I'm told he has worked extensively with Dr. Silverman.  Dr. S  is young, but I've heard good things about him from the radonc that I work with professionally.  I was just concerned because not many people had heard of him.  I'm waiting to hear back  about Dr. Rush's availability, but may go with Dr. Sivlerman.

Thanks again!
1 cm right ear
Diagnosed 11/15/11

rupert

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 08:57:45 pm »
Depends on what you consider young.  Certainly  he is not just out of school,  as he got his PHD in 2004.  I would say he's between 35 and 40.  He is under the Director of Radiosurgery Dr. Kondziolka and in my opinion one of the best at GK there is.  Dr. K did my GK 6 years ago in Pittsburgh.  Kondziolka is the best out there and his reputation is well known. I would expect nothing less from the department he heads. These are my opinions of course but,  are the same as many others. 

NYLady

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:33:38 am »
Hi Chelle,

I am another one chiming in for NYU Gamma Knife.  Mine was done July, 2014 by Drs. Golfinos and Rush.  They were just wonderful as was Jessica Dr. Golfinos' PA.  You will find all the people at NYU are professional, caring and do all they can to make your experience a good one.  Dr. Kondziolka is now at the head of the department specializing in this type of treatment and has amazing credentials.  He was recruited by Dr. Golfinos, who is as you know, the head of the Neurosurgery Department.  All of these doctors hold themselves to the highest of standards and do many, many procedures each week.  I don't think you can go wrong with whomever you choose.  My AN was just about into the cochlea.  I have lost mostly all of the hearing in that ear at this point, but it was expected.  Dr. G prescribed vestibular therapy for my balance issues, which I have just completed.  Feeling good...not perfect, but certainly much better.  Radiation stays in your body for a bit, but I imagine within the next year, most of my balance issues that remain will be somewhat less.  Lets not forget the nature of what we have.  Tumor removal and radiation treatment are one part, and the damage the little bugger does is the rest.  These wonderful doctors at NYU will do all that is in their power to help minimize the damage and put you on a path of recovery.  Good luck to you.

NYL

Chelle

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 10:07:14 pm »
Thanks all for your comments!

I've decided to go ahead with Gamma knife with Drs Golfinos and Silverman and have a pre-treatment consult with Dr. Silverman tomorrow afternoon.  Any suggestions on questions I should ask??

Gamma Knife scheduled for Dec. 3! Yikes!
1 cm right ear
Diagnosed 11/15/11

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 06:14:19 am »
Hi Chelle .....

This a link to the excellent set of questions the ANA has that you can print out and take to your doctor.  See:  https://www.anausa.org/pretreatment/questions-for-your-physician

Thoughts and prayers for a routine, uneventful treatment!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

NYLady

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 07:02:16 am »
Hi Chelle,

You are in great hands!  Good luck.

NYL